BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
135junky
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe '08

Adaptive head light

I just got the warning signal for "adaptive head light failed" can anybody help me please? I changed my angel eyes like 3 weeks ago can that maybe be a problem? The manual doesn't say any thing unless I overlooked it.
      03-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
tranism
Care Bears vs Klingons
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

It's possible yes. Open it up and check to make sure the ballasts or wires aren't touching the adaptive headlight motors. If its in the way, move it and preferably tape it down with double sided 3M tape.

If it still throws an error code, put your oem lights back on and check again. If it still throws a code. U need to take it to the dealer for repair or possibly replacement.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55

I have that issue to me once before due to improper placement of the ballast.

I just 3M taped the ballast on the headlight cover towards grill direction and problem fixed.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
135junky
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe '08

Thanks, but it looks like I have to take my car to the dealer tried taping it down and put the old ones back on with no luck still shows me the error.
      03-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Sometimes, the adaptive headlight motors in our cars just kind of fizzle and die. When I got my headlights replaced, one of the brand new motors broke within 6 months by itself. I have the Alpine HID kit, but it had NOTHING to do with the motor going. No condensation in the light, or any other problems.

Unfortunately, they already flagged me as having the HID kit, and even though BMW installed the kit when replacing the headlights (yes, BMW reinstalled my HID kit!), they decided to blame me even though I didn't touch the headlights afterwards at all. The only possible explanation is either install error, or the motor fizzling out by itself which is a common and documented problem according to a friend who is a BMW tech. Now it's been a nightmare to try and fix it. The low and high beams still work, but I haven't gotten the side-to-side action for about a year now... still currently fighting, though lately I've given up. If I didn't have the kit, they would have just replaced the motor.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Sometimes, the adaptive headlight motors in our cars just kind of fizzle and die. When I got my headlights replaced, one of the brand new motors broke within 6 months by itself. I have the Alpine HID kit, but it had NOTHING to do with the motor going. No condensation in the light, or any other problems.

Unfortunately, they already flagged me as having the HID kit, and even though BMW installed the kit when replacing the headlights (yes, BMW reinstalled my HID kit!), they decided to blame me even though I didn't touch the headlights afterwards at all. The only possible explanation is either install error, or the motor fizzling out by itself which is a common and documented problem according to a friend who is a BMW tech. Now it's been a nightmare to try and fix it. The low and high beams still work, but I haven't gotten the side-to-side action for about a year now... still currently fighting, though lately I've given up. If I didn't have the kit, they would have just replaced the motor.
The moving mechanism of the adaptive headlight is very thin and fragile. Other reason could be driving over harsh road condition, that vibration and shaking broke the legs over time.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Im curious about this now as well, however my problem just started and is alot me severe. I had replaced my angel eyes about 2 months ago with ZERO problems until now. So today I go to one of those touchless car washes with the undercarriage wash, I go thru it, come out and I get the symbol for adaptive head light failure. I didnt really know what that meant until I got home, but before I got home I went to sears, I come out and its dark, turn the car on and only one headlight comes on, then zero light...I then get the lowbeam headlight failure HUD display and im driving around at night with just the angel eyes..

So I got out, both headlights had a shitload of condensation in them and neither low beams worked after several tries. So I had to get fucking AAA to tow my ass home cuz i cant drive 20 miles with no headlights

So now, of course this shit happens on a saturday, dealer isnt open till monday and I dont even know if theyre be able to fuckin look at the car then or not, they damn well better though. I cant drive at night and I need it fixed, I work evenings so I cant drive with it otherwise. Like the other dood said, Im sure my dealer will give me shit cuz I changed out the angel eyes and they will say that its all my fault blah blah.

Personally I think it was the undercarriage wash, somehow it mustve shot water up into the headlight assemblies and shorted the fuses or the bulbs or both, I have no idea. I was thinking about going out and trying to mess with the fuses or the headlights tonight but theres just no fucking way. I wouldnt know what Id be doing and Im sure id prob just fuck something up even more so Im hoping the dealer can take care of this.

Anyone have any issues like this with theres before??
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 04:48 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Im curious about this now as well, however my problem just started and is alot me severe. I had replaced my angel eyes about 2 months ago with ZERO problems until now. So today...
Your the latest victum... here was the last guy who got bit by the AE "condensation" bug...

Condensation in headlight housing after AE LED install
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668194
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Your the latest victum... here was the last guy who got bit by the AE "condensation" bug...

Condensation in headlight housing after AE LED install
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668194
Well, ive decided rather than just take it to a dealer and risk it, Im going to get oe replacement AE bulbs, swap em out for the amber AE's i have in there (which still work fine) and THEN take it to the dealer and have them fix it. Nothing is damaged or cracked on either housing, both clamps are secure (least in my impression) I guess somehow with the fitment and me not being a wonderful auto mechanic, there was a slight leak in both, somewhere, and the goddamn car wash caused water to get in both.

Im just barely at 2 years ownership of the car (2010) so Im betting on warranty coverage for this as everything on the car and def in the engine bay is stock now so it should be a clean n clear warranty replacement. That is if this failure fits with what these other failures seem to have come too. Its a real shame these bitches have to be soo goddamn sensitive, i mean it was an easy install, just the damn 2 clamps, screw light in and out and done, and yet now im stuck with all this.

Just wish I hadnt pitched my oems before, yet im glad advanced autoparts has the oe replacements for cheap, i know those H8 bulbs werent really expensive anyways, i was just worried id hafta have em shipped overnight from ECS or something and pay alot extra. Hopefully, I can pick these up today, install em, and take the car in on monday morning and have it taken care of.

I think the car knows im about to trade it in soon...so its giving me all kinds of shit now
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 05:20 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

^^Ok. Don't forget to report back what happens. Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
toni8284
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
where is adaptive headlight motor and how it looks like?

a photo will help.

Thanks
2014 F10 M5 LCI (SOLD)
2011 VO 1M (SOLD)
Appreciate 0