BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #45
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

I could be wrong but check with him on his wheel/tire sizes. His gap may look smaller since he is not on stock wheels and tires - if his wheels are 19's then the gap will definitely be smaller, if they are 18's but the tire profile is slightly thicker, then once again the gap may seem smaller.

Also, you're comparing my car's stance on pavement to a car sitting on a dyno, which may affect the way ride height looks.

Honestly, my car lowered exactly as advertised, ~10mm. This is not a drastic drop so the car feels better and looks slightly lower, but it's not a huge difference. I think you're using the wrong car as reference. Just make a search and look at all the other cars that have this suspension on stock wheels and tires.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimtiki View Post
Hi,
I'm ordering mine today based on the ride height of 1trip5's 135i
I've attached few pics of 1trip5's. I think this car sits lower than yours...any opinions ? I just to want to make sure the ride height before I order it.

TK

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #46
kimtiki
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A5 3.2

-

He is running,

Wheels:
VMR 710
18x8.5 front +45
18x9.5 rear +50

Tires:
Hankook V12
225x40x18 front
255x35x18 rear

Yes, I definately, looked at other cars on BMWPS however, this car has the exact setup that I'm thinking of doing it on my car. That's why I used this car as comparison ~ I don't have any false opinion about your post !

TK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
I could be wrong but check with him on his wheel/tire sizes. His gap may look smaller since he is not on stock wheels and tires - if his wheels are 19's then the gap will definitely be smaller, if they are 18's but the tire profile is slightly thicker, then once again the gap may seem smaller.

Also, you're comparing my car's stance on pavement to a car sitting on a dyno, which may affect the way ride height looks.

Honestly, my car lowered exactly as advertised, ~10mm. This is not a drastic drop so the car feels better and looks slightly lower, but it's not a huge difference. I think you're using the wrong car as reference. Just make a search and look at all the other cars that have this suspension on stock wheels and tires.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #47
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

No worries, I just want to make sure you don't end up disappointed due to an optical illusion (shadowing, plus the car sitting on a dyno has to sit in between cylinders, bringing it closer to the platform and making it look lower). Since those are 18's, research the tire profiles of those tires and the stockers, again, the sidewalls on his car may be slightly thicker.

If you're concern is for your car to end up being SIGNIFICANTLY lower, then you may want to go another route, as most of us are reporting between 10-12mm of a drop.

Good luck!

Quote:
He is running,

Wheels:
VMR 710
18x8.5 front 45
18x9.5 rear 50

Tires:
Hankook V12
225x40x18 front
255x35x18 rear

Yes, I definately, looked at other cars on BMWPS however, this car has the exact setup that I'm thinking of doing it on my car. That's why I used this car as comparison ~ I don't have any false opinion about your post !

TK

Quote:

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #48
1trip5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Emme Tres

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Those pictures of my vehicle are not the best to judge ride height. As mentioned, the vehicle is sitting on a dyno and the shadowing blends the tire with the gap.

Yes, the wider tires have increased the overall wheel/tire diameter and that has also taken away some of the gap. I'm increasing to 235 / 265 on my next set and the gap will probably diminish a bit more.

This is a very accurate representation of BMW PS spring ride height:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412549

If you will be satisfied with a 10mm drop at each corner, go with the BMW PS. If you are having doubts, I recommend investigating other options. Dinan springs will give you a slightly lower stance (15mm) as opposed to BMW PS (10-12mm).
      02-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #49
kimtiki
Private
Rep

-

I think the link you posted is Dinan spring...
I just purchased it from getBMWparts ! I'm thinking of getting VB3 18' with stock RFT...I wonder how will it turns out in the end....

TK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1trip5 View Post
Those pictures of my vehicle are not the best to judge ride height. As mentioned, the vehicle is sitting on a dyno and the shadowing blends the tire with the gap.

Yes, the wider tires have increased the overall wheel/tire diameter and that has also taken away some of the gap. I'm increasing to 235 / 265 on my next set and the gap will probably diminish a bit more.

This is a very accurate representation of BMW PS spring ride height:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412549

If you will be satisfied with a 10mm drop at each corner, go with the BMW PS. If you are having doubts, I recommend investigating other options. Dinan springs will give you a slightly lower stance (15mm) as opposed to BMW PS (10-12mm).
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #50
1trip5
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
the link I posted is not Dinan springs. Read his parts list.
      02-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #51
kimtiki
Private
Rep

-

He only used BMWP spring with Koni FSD, it must make difference in ride height though...I will see what will happen with my car !

Quote:
the link I posted is not Dinan springs. Read his parts list.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #52
1trip5
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
My ride height looks identical to M2s on a flat surface. That being said, I lowered approx 12-14mm at each corner. I know another person with a vehicle nearly identical to mine that also saw a slightly lower stance (12 - 14mm).

There are, however, several people that have reported 10mm max. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Expect 10mm max.

I also purchased from getbmwparts (Tischer). I provided my VIN and they ordered the correct F/R springs for my vehicle. I believe there are 4 spring variations for our vehicles.
      02-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #53
kimtiki
Private
Rep

-

Yeah, I order the one with sport suspension. I provided them my vin#, so I'm expecting to receive right springs. The spring wouldn't need spring compressor right ?? Did you do it yourself???

TK

Quote:
My ride height looks identical to M2s on a flat surface. That being said, I lowered approx 12-14mm at each corner. I know another person with a vehicle nearly identical to mine that also saw a slightly lower stance (12 - 14mm).

There are, however, several people that have reported 10mm max. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Expect 10mm max.

I also purchased from getbmwparts (Tischer). I provided my VIN and they ordered the correct F/R springs for my vehicle. I believe there are 4 spring variations for our vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #54
1trip5
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Good call on ordering the entire performance suspension. It is an amazing kit that transforms the handling characteristics of the car.

I cannot comment on the tools required for installation. My suspension was installed at a BMW dealership.
      02-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #55
kimtiki
Private
Rep

-

Do you know how much my dealership quoted for installation??
They asked me for $1800 including tax....wtf

so I decided to do it myself or bring it to the local shop where they asking for $600 including alignment.

I'm still thinking weather I should get 19', have regret yourself not getting 19'??? lol

TK

Quote:
Good call on ordering the entire performance suspension. It is an amazing kit that transforms the handling characteristics of the car.

I cannot comment on the tools required for installation. My suspension was installed at a BMW dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #56
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

Noob question guys...

What comes with the performance suspension kit? Can you mix and match BMW Perf Suspension with other coils/springs (sorry not sure how the verbiage goes), how does this whole thing work and what's the effect on warranty?

I'm looking to lower my car in the future and thought I'd start understanding this stuff. For now, my objective is to purely get aesthetic improvement as I feel no need for a better suspension system at this time. However, I don't want to run into potential trouble with warranty since the car is brand new and I don't plan on spending with repairs.. I wouldn't mind an aftermarket exhaust for instance, but I feel the need to be more cautious when it comes to suspension... I was about set with the BMW Perf Suspension (my dealership sells it at a ridiculous discount for $900), but I might want a little more than 10mm of a drop. I think 13-15mm would look good judging by pictures i've seen in the forum..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #57
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

I too ordered my kit using the VIN given that there truly are 3-4 possible sets of springs, as mentioned before. Even the stock cars have multiple sets of stock springs available to them depending on equipment.

I did the labor myself and though the springs are shorter, you still need spring compressors for the front ones.

Quote:
Yeah, I order the one with sport suspension. I provided them my vin#, so I'm expecting to receive right springs. The spring wouldn't need spring compressor right ?? Did you do it yourself???

TK

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #58
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

The package comes in 2 parts: struts/shocks front sway bar, and the springs get ordered separately since they can vary from car to car. So yes you could mix and match, but why would you when these parts were designed to work together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55_BBM View Post
Noob question guys...

What comes with the performance suspension kit? Can you mix and match BMW Perf Suspension with other coils/springs (sorry not sure how the verbiage goes), how does this whole thing work and what's the effect on warranty?

I'm looking to lower my car in the future and thought I'd start understanding this stuff. For now, my objective is to purely get aesthetic improvement as I feel no need for a better suspension system at this time. However, I don't want to run into potential trouble with warranty since the car is brand new and I don't plan on spending with repairs.. I wouldn't mind an aftermarket exhaust for instance, but I feel the need to be more cautious when it comes to suspension... I was about set with the BMW Perf Suspension (my dealership sells it at a ridiculous discount for $900), but I might want a little more than 10mm of a drop. I think 13-15mm would look good judging by pictures i've seen in the forum..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #59
1trip5
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Do you know how much my dealership quoted for installation??
They asked me for $1800 including tax....wtf

so I decided to do it myself or bring it to the local shop where they asking for $600 including alignment.

I'm still thinking weather I should get 19', have regret yourself not getting 19'??? lol

TK
I got a sweet deal on installation as my dealer was offering a "half-off" sale on the installation of performance parts. I paid about $900, that included a 4-wheel alignment. I also retain factory warranty on parts and labor.

I had slight regrets about the 18" V710s when I was on stock suspension. As soon as I lowered the car, it looked perfect. If you prefer slightly over-sized wheels, go 19". If you prefer a modest, yet sporty look, go 18".
      02-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #60
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
I too ordered my kit using the VIN given that there truly are 3-4 possible sets of springs, as mentioned before. Even the stock cars have multiple sets of stock springs available to them depending on equipment.

I did the labor myself and though the springs are shorter, you still need spring compressors for the front ones.
What's the part # on your springs? Old and New. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #61
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
What's the part # on your springs? Old and New. Thanks in advance.
Fronts: 31 33 6 788 893
Rears: 33 53 6 788 899
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #62
kimtiki
Private
Rep

-

If you don't mind, Would you be able to post few pics of your car on the ground?
I want to see how it looks with 18' wheels.

Thank you
TK

Quote:
I got a sweet deal on installation as my dealer was offering a "half-off" sale on the installation of performance parts. I paid about $900, that included a 4-wheel alignment. I also retain factory warranty on parts and labor.

I had slight regrets about the 18" V710s when I was on stock suspension. As soon as I lowered the car, it looked perfect. If you prefer slightly over-sized wheels, go 19". If you prefer a modest, yet sporty look, go 18".
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #63
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
If you don't mind, Would you be able to post few pics of your car on the ground?
I want to see how it looks with 18' wheels.

Thank you
TK
I haven't had a chance to take good shots since I installed the suspension, otherwise I would post them up. It's been raining like crazy. The only break I've had to take pics was yesterday, and well, I went for a drive but not having a good camera on me sucked. As you can see from the picture I posted above it's difficult to see details. As soon as the rain goes away and I detail the car, pictures will follow.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #64
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Great. Is it possible to get your stock spring part #s?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #65
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

I never took note of it, but the parts manager at my dealer showed me the part numbers for the stock springs when he was showing me the many possible stock springs made for this car. They are able to tell by simply entering the VIN into the system. I could always call and have him read me the numbers over the phone, since I recently sold the stock springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
Quote:
Great. Is it possible to get your stock spring part #s?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #66
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Some slightly better iPhone shots I took right now. One is from a higher angle and the other is more level with the car. Notice the subtle yet attractive drop; 10mm all around.

Appreciate 0