BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
oneill3
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

Dealership feedback

Looking at getting a 1. Just wanting to get some feedback about any good/bad experiences anyone has has from dealerships.

Any recommendations on the better dealerships would be appreciated. maybe even a particular salesman who has been great.

Not sure about anyone else, but for me it's all about the service. I can live with shit going wrong and stuff breaking, normal part of life, but I can't and won't stand for poor service. That goes for anything I buy. If I get bad service I'll take my business else where. I'm sure there would be lots of people only too happy to take my money.

I've only spoken with one dealershop so far and I've already had unfavourable experience.

I wanted to arrnage a test drive of the 1 so I called the Motoline dealership at Daisy Hill, Brisbane and spoke with a salesman.

He was really keen to help me out until I told him that I was just looking and hadn't decided to buy yet. As soon as he realised this his whole attitude changed. All of a sudden there were no 1s avaliable to test drive. He started questioning me about why I would want to test drive the car when it was obiviously such a great car with great reviews. He couldn't under why I would want to test drive it.

Does anyone else think that it is unreasonable to want to test drive the car before buying it?

His whole attitude pissed me off. So now Motorline will never ever get my business. And I'll ensure that everyone I know will know about.

I hope this is not indictive of BMW dealerships.

On another note, has anyone been able to get a good deal on the 1?
      06-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
most of us here have bought without test driving as the car wasn't available at the time.

When I was shopping around for the car I got a price from Motorline even though I'm in Melbourne. QLD stamp duty is alot less than VIC. I was able to get a good price from Motorline however, I ended up buying in Melbourne as I finally got a similar deal. My impression was that Motorline were great to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d, M3 DCT E92

Try Westside BMW opening at Jindalee in the next week or so. New dealership, i'm sure they would bend over to make a sale.
      06-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
oneill3
Private
Australia
Rep

This is my first BMW so I don't really know what I'm getting myself in for.

When I bought my previous 2 cars I had and still get great service from the dealership. Are my standards set too high?

I do understand the 1 is a popluar car but all I was after from the salesman was some help and courtesy, not an arrogant and smug attitude.

Not too worry, I'll try else where. Just trying to pin down a good dealership that will look after me, before and after the purchase of a car.
      06-21-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
oneill3
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift135 View Post
Try Westside BMW opening at Jindalee in the next week or so. New dealership, i'm sure they would bend over to make a sale.
Really, didn't know that. I'll check it out. thanks. BTW, where did you find that info? Nothing on the BMW website. Would you have an address?
      06-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
oneill3
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNJNQ View Post
most of us here have bought without test driving as the car wasn't available at the time.
DTNJNQ,

I appreciate that but I was looking at buying the new C class a while back and all of the reviews I had read raved about how good it was, yada yada yada.

When I got to drive it I was very dissapointed, handled and drove like a piece of crap. Seats were too soft, the inside looked and felt cheap, transmisison was ordinary and engine was sluggish.

Also, a couple of years back I looked at the 1 series hatchback and didn't like that either.

So, the coupe is something I would have drive before making any decision about purchasing. I'm buying this car for it's driving dynamics so for me it's a must to test drive.
      06-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
CeeJay
Private
Rep
Drives:

West side BMW is part of the Brisbane BMW group. They are located near Gardenway at Darra and opening shortly as noted in other posts.
Coastline BMW At Caloundra were very helpful when I was looking as well, however in the end I went with Motorline due to proximity and so far I have been happy with everything. Other members on this forum have also bought from Motorline and also given good feedback.
Perhaps a different salesperson might be another option to consider as well , as every business has staff with varying levels of ability/skills etc whether they admit it or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 10:31 PM   #8
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: VE Clubsport R8 LS3 6.2Ltr

From my experience, Brisbane BMW will be able to match any deal + better than Motorline, simply because they move much more stock.

In terms of customer service, i feel the service is better at Motorline. I got both my mini and 120d from Brisbane, but will probably take it to Motorline to get serviced, because the service at Brisbane isn't up to standard... in my opinion
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 12:30 AM   #9
oneill3
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
West side BMW is part of the Brisbane BMW group. They are located near Gardenway at Darra and opening shortly as noted in other posts.
Coastline BMW At Caloundra were very helpful when I was looking as well, however in the end I went with Motorline due to proximity and so far I have been happy with everything. Other members on this forum have also bought from Motorline and also given good feedback.
Perhaps a different salesperson might be another option to consider as well , as every business has staff with varying levels of ability/skills etc whether they admit it or not.
You're probably right, I just got the wrong salesperson. I'm probably over reacting but the guy pissed me off.

I think part of the enjoyment of buying a car is going through the whole process of looking at the car, researching it, etc. Little things like this just take away from the enjoyment of the experience.

Maybe I'll walking in and have a chat in person. Thanks.
      06-22-2008, 02:03 AM   #10
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
I agree.

I was pissed off by BMW Melbourne and therefore I did not buy from them. The sales person was really arrogant and treated me like I was wasting his time.

Bib Stillwell where I bought the car from were a pleasure to deal with. I would recommend them any time especially Michael Zen the Sales Person.

When I bought my previous car, Subaru Liberty GT I was also pissed off by Subaru Dockland which is the main dealer owned by Subaru Australia. At first they wouldn't give me a test drive and told me that I've read all the magazine reports, want more do I want to know. I ended up buying it from one of the country dealers.

I guess it depends on the person you're dealing with
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 05:50 AM   #11
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill3 View Post
Also, a couple of years back I looked at the 1 series hatchback and didn't like that either.

So, the coupe is something I would have drive before making any decision about purchasing. I'm buying this car for it's driving dynamics so for me it's a must to test drive.
Hmmm, don't think you'll be that impressed by the 1er coupe then. For me, apart from the engine, the 135i vert and 125i coupe I've driven, and the 135i coupe I've had a ride in, felt pretty much exactly the same as the hatch. Interior is 99% identical from where the driver sits, and visually from the A pillar forward they are identical (bar front bumper).

Now the engine is something special, so as an existing owner who very much likes the 1 series hatch, the engine was enough for me to order a car that for the most part is identical to what I've already been driving for 3+ years.

In a different topic, I don't think I've ever walked into a dealer saying I want to drive one of their cars (especially a performance car) and said I was not interested in buying it. If I wasn't interested, why on earth would you need to drive it. If I was a sales guy - even if at a prestige dealer - why allow a tyre kicker to use my time and add k's to a sought after car. You need to remember they are only human, and their natural instinct is to make their life easier by spending their time where it will have the greater $$ benefit.

Now understand that I'm not having a dig at you, but rather suggesting a little white lie (i.e. saying you are interested, not just looking) will get you the service and test drive you are after.
      06-22-2008, 05:55 AM   #12
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNJNQ View Post
I was pissed off by BMW Melbourne and therefore I did not buy from them. The sales person was really arrogant and treated me like I was wasting his time.
I know others like them, but for me personally I dislike BMW Melb. I've tried twice there (including for a 135i) and seem to get the cold shoulder as if someone under 30 surely can't afford anything but the most basic BMW.

My sister recently purchased a 120i off them when Doncaster BMW didn't have quite the right price, and has received a very $h!+ experience from the moment she handed over the cheque. All sweet and buddy buddy until that point. IMO Doncaster BMW actually provides a better experience after the cheque than before.....
      06-22-2008, 06:09 AM   #13
Blacky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Bib Stillwell South Yarra was good for our purchase but we had dealt with Jeff before.
He just gave me the keys to a 130 and said take it for a drive, it was this that finally convinced me to change the Lemon for something else.

Would purchase a car from him again, but I don't have $400,000.00 he has moved on from BMW now :wink:

However the post sale i.e. service and support is not a lot to speak of, maybe you need to buy a 5 or 7 series to get their attention.
2 cars in two years is obviously not enough.

Lease is up at the end of the year so I guess we will need to review dealers again.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 06:12 AM   #14
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
In a different topic, I don't think I've ever walked into a dealer saying I want to drive one of their cars (especially a performance car) and said I was not interested in buying it. If I wasn't interested, why on earth would you need to drive it. If I was a sales guy - even if at a prestige dealer - why allow a tyre kicker to use my time and add k's to a sought after car. You need to remember they are only human, and their natural instinct is to make their life easier by spending their time where it will have the greater $$ benefit.

Now understand that I'm not having a dig at you, but rather suggesting a little white lie (i.e. saying you are interested, not just looking) will get you the service and test drive you are after.
Funny you say this. I walked into Menere's to look at the 135 dressed like a slob and unshaven. The salesman came over promptly and the first thing I said was, and I quote " I am only here to rubber neck at the 135" Must have been a slow day because another guy came over and we chatted about the cars and general stuff. I asked for a test drive, no worries.. off I went. When I left they mentioned if I want another test drive to drop in and if it was available I could take it for another spin.
They are quite smart as I fully intend to purchase one as soon as I can swing it. If they had of blown me off I would not go back. Fair enough if they had a busy shop and said so but if there isn't a lot going, what do they have to lose ?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 06:21 AM   #15
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Not all BMW dealers and there sales people are cast in the same mold.

I once thought it all came down to:-

1. Customer Service
2. Staff training
3.Product knowledge

Now as I progress in age, I have come to realise that it is HUNGER and HUNGER alone of the individual salesperson and not the dealer.

The best sales training can not improve a sales persons attitiude.
He or she has to be hungry to be succesful and succeed.

I walked into a BMW dealership to test drive the 335i convertible before I purchased the 135i vert and was told by the Sales person that the used cars were in the ajacent lot.
I took one look at the sales person and informed her that never at one point in the brief discussion that we had, did I discuss whether or not that the car was in my price range or affordability.
In her inexperience she just assumed..

This dealership is very successful and I purchased my first new BMW there 20 years ago.
I have purchased quite a few cars between this dealership and there sister dealership..I play one against the other..

I spoke with the GM on the same day and told him I was thinking of purchasing there, but now I will go to another dealer for the way I was treated by an inexperienced sales person.

Needless to say this Salesperson lost her job for this and other reasons that arose later.

I still purchased my 135i, just not from there.

You cant penalise a machine like the 135i cause of a pathetic dealership or salesperson.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 06:41 AM   #16
oneill3
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm, don't think you'll be that impressed by the 1er coupe then. For me, apart from the engine, the 135i vert and 125i coupe I've driven, and the 135i coupe I've had a ride in, felt pretty much exactly the same as the hatch. Interior is 99% identical from where the driver sits, and visually from the A pillar forward they are identical (bar front bumper).
If I enjoy driving a car then I can look past the interior stuff. Besides, it's been a couple of years so I want to have another look.

Quote:
Now understand that I'm not having a dig at you
Don't worry, I don't

Quote:
I didn't actually say that I wasn't going to buy one just that I wanted to test drive one before I made a decision. That's when I started to get the attitude.

I understand that dealers must get lots of tyre kickers that waste their time but that can't be an excuse for poor service or attitude.

Quote:
...but rather suggesting a little white lie (i.e. saying you are interested, not just looking) will get you the service and test drive you are after.
I prefer to play it the other way and if anything keep them at arms length until I am confident that the salesman is someone I can deal with. Also, I guess I don't like leading people on.
      06-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #17
taiheung
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

The biggest thing for me is knowledge. Be an ass, I don't care - but you had better know more about the damn machine than I do if you're going to open your mouth about it.

Seriously, I think it should be compulsary that every sales person read the manuals for their car. Is it too much to ask that a sales person knows what the integrated key is for, or even how much POWER the car puts out!?!!

A sales person needs to be an enthusiast, or at least freaking act like one!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #18
harpoon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Yeh the attitude you can get from car sales people never ceases to amaze me.

6 months ago I went to BMW Sydney to testdrive and e46 M3. I rang them before going in and asked if they had any second hand e46 m3s available to testdrive. This was so they would know I was serious as I knew the car was there.

So I turned up with the missus and it is fair to say that I look quite a bit younger than I am. I'm 34 but often get confused for 26-28 due to my slight build and youngish face. I tracked down the sales guy and he takes 1 look at me and I see his attitude adjust. He assumes I'm a tyre kicker. He took me for a drive and i never got out of second gear - litereally - and it lasted no more than 5-6 minutes. Waste of time. While we are driving he asks what I'm currently driving? I say Nissan 350z and I look for his reaction in the rearvision mirror. He shakes is head slightly and doesn't say a word.

So we get back to the dealership and he just gets out, takes the key and walks away....no follow up at all. I couldn't believe it and my missus was furious. This was a 120k car at the time and he just assumed I couldn't afford it. The reality was I could easily have afforded it and was quite serious about it. In any case I would never go back there - ever. I was working for a highly respected investment bank at the time which, had I dropped the name, no doubt he would have fallen over himself to get me in a car.

As someone who works hard at what I do for a living I find it astonishing that anyone could be so careless and flippant when it's your bread and butter to be pleasant and professional. And in 2008 people with money do not necessarily get around in suits and ties anymore and aren't always 45+ in age.

For the record I had the completely opposite experience at Col Crafword BMW. All the staff there treated me like I could afford any car on the lot despite rocking up in an old pair of jeans and a tshirt. They followed the test drives up with mail and phone calls etc and their knowledge of the car was flawless.
      06-22-2008, 10:30 PM   #19
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill3 View Post
DTNJNQ,

I appreciate that but I was looking at buying the new C class a while back and all of the reviews I had read raved about how good it was, yada yada yada.

When I got to drive it I was very dissapointed, handled and drove like a piece of crap. Seats were too soft, the inside looked and felt cheap, transmisison was ordinary and engine was sluggish.
Hmm, I don't have any of those problems with my C class. I think you just drove the wrong one. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #20
RICHARD NEWTON
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Bought my car from Motorline, gave me fantastic service and through in some goodies. My car was one of the first to arrive in Auz. They can't give you a car to test drive because they haven't go one. No dealer in Bris has ,they are all sold. If you want to have a look at one let me know, maybe I 'll give spin around the block
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 11:05 PM   #21
airhead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I spoke to two dealers last week, all they needed to do was come back to me with a decent price (something less then RRP) and they would have a signed order from me. Both failed to even come back with a price...

The H&R sways I ordered for my Audi just arrived and now I'm in half a mind to just keep tuning the Audi than spend more time f**cking around with dealers...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 11:12 PM   #22
oneill3
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Hmm, I don't have any of those problems with my C class. I think you just drove the wrong one. :biggrin:
I'm probably exaggerating a little but I didn't like the drive at all.

I may have driven a dud because the C320 CDI that I drove was horrible. The response from pressing the accelerator to the car accelerating was greater than a whole second, it was boarding on dangerous. Once it got going though it was quite quick, especially for a diesel, but that lag from the accelerator was awful. I also drove the 280 and was disappointed from the performance of the engine, just wasn't quick enough for my liking. I think my SLK was just a quick and it's only a 200.

I have a good friend that's a salesman at MB so I get to drive a lot of the Mercs. I also own a SLK and A Class. I love the feel of the SLK, CLK and E but I never connected with the C, just didn't feel right. I was even lucky enough to go on an active safety day and drive the C and an E class back to back on the skid pan, and the C just didn't feel right, compared to the E. Might be just me but even my wife said the same thing about the C.

I just find the transmission, in all of the mercs, very ordinary, especially for the money you pay, and the smaller engines lackluster, unless you have a 350 or above. Of course the AMGs are another matter all together.

Mind you I do tend to drive them pretty hard and I think it more of a matter that I'm driving a luxury car like a sports car, which probably doesn't help. Hence my interest in the 1.

I'm sure if they sold the C350 here then it would have been better, however, the price would have been $110,000 to $120,000. When comparing that to the 1 it would be $20,000 to $30,00 more expensive and still slower.