BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
klick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i M Sport 6MT

what linear springs are available?

Hello 1ers!

I am new to this forum and bimmers in general coming from a long line of Hondas.

I recently picked up a 2010 128i M Sport and absolutely love the car!

The first mods I usually do on any car I get is the suspension.

I am already looking to get some Koni yellows on the car, but I was wondering what kind of linear spring options I have.

I am looking to keep the stock height, but I realized through reading through threads that the 2010 models did not come with linear springs...

I would not mind getting a new set of 2011+ sport springs, but I have no idea where I can pick those up...but is there also an aftermarket option that would maintain the stock height?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by klick View Post
Hello 1ers!

I am new to this forum and bimmers in general coming from a long line of Hondas.

I recently picked up a 2010 128i M Sport and absolutely love the car!

The first mods I usually do on any car I get is the suspension.

I am already looking to get some Koni yellows on the car, but I was wondering what kind of linear spring options I have.

I am looking to keep the stock height, but I realized through reading through threads that the 2010 models did not come with linear springs...

I would not mind getting a new set of 2011+ sport springs, but I have no idea where I can pick those up...but is there also an aftermarket option that would maintain the stock height?
You are correct, 2011+ rear 135i springs are linear, but 2010 and earlier are progressive.

Buy them used or order them from a parts website. Go check out the vendors classifieds, plenty of forum sponsors down there.
      02-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #3
klick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i M Sport 6MT

Thanks for the reply man.

So only the rears are linear and the fronts remained progressive?

If I were to order a set of springs, should I just ignore getting the front ones or is there a difference in those as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Thanks for the reply man.

So only the rears are linear and the fronts remained progressive?

If I were to order a set of springs, should I just ignore getting the front ones or is there a difference in those as well?
Fronts are different from rears and not interchangeable. No change in front springs from pre/post 2011my cars.
      02-16-2015, 10:09 PM   #5
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
I realized through reading through threads that the 2010 models did not come with linear springs...

It is probably not worth getting too excited about the non-linear rear springs. At normal ride height the rear is on the rear bump stops, which introduces a large non-linearity regardless of the springs. Pull the rear dust boot off the bump stop with the car jacked up and then lower the car and have a look how much the bump stop is compressed at ride height to confirm this. Lowering springs will make this more pronounced. A shorter shock body with a shorter bump stop will improve your linearity at the rear, but you probably need substantially stiffer springs at the rear as well to actually ride clear of the bump stop under most conditions. The quest for linearity without significant other changes is probably futile (although noble). Post-dating your rear springs to 2011+ rear sport springs will not likely give you any tangible benefit.
Appreciate 0