BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
3liter1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

premium sound system - opinions

have done some searching and did not find much comparing the base to the premium system in the 128/135. Has anyone listened to both back to back and have any opinions? I am pulling the trigger on a 128 tomorrow, and that is my last decision point. All opinions welcome!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiS4 View Post
have done some searching and did not find much comparing the base to the premium system in the 128/135. Has anyone listened to both back to back and have any opinions? I am pulling the trigger on a 128 tomorrow, and that is my last decision point. All opinions welcome!
If you plan on upgrading the system with a larger amp, and perhaps better subs, and components, then go with the base system and spend the extra money on that.

The "hi fi" system does sound a bit better as it has a higher power amp.
Check on the audio forum, as I'm not sure if the hi-fi system has better component speakers. They both have the same subs though, I believe.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I'll echo RPM90s opinion. If you want to upgrade buy the base system. I have the Premium HiFi in mine and I'm not thrilled with it (but it's not terrible either).
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
3liter1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

i am leasing - so for now may stick to the premium system - thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
SoQuick
Stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing now

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
2001 S8  [0.00]
I was an installer for 2 years and I consider myself an audiophile. I have NOT listened to the stock system. The premium system is worth the money. The sound quality is actually better then I expected. It has your basic tone adjustments...treble/base. Aswell as an equalizer, I can't remember exactly, but I think 6 band.

I am more then happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

If you have iDrive, the integration is a good reason to stay with a factory system, in which case, go for the premium hifi. Otherwise, you can probably get a better aftermarket system.

Since your leasing, it doesn't seem like the monthly cost of a premium system would be that much more. And do you really want to have to rip the system out before turning in your lease car?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
annsue
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

I have the premium system in my 135 and am very happy with it. It even sounds terrific when the top is down. I love to listen to my tunes, so the premium system was a "must-have" for me. The subwoofers are awesome and allow you to really crank up the bass. Make sure you get the integrated iPod option as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
bmwsam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2012 135i  [0.00]
I listened to them side by side the day I ordered my 128i and I went with the premium HiFi. I could really hear a difference and didn't want to go through the trouble of something aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
sunking420
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 135i

I didn't want to spring for anything other than the basic unit. Jane's Addiction sounds pretty good cranked up. Led Zeppelin too....

I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money...........
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
get it with idrive or not at all. Unless you actually carry cd's with you still. ipod interface sucks bigtime w/o idrive. And you can't upgrade the stereo with the premium system. However, w/idrive, ipod works flawless and music sounds great!

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #11
NJ135
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
i work at a dealership... definitely hifi has deeper bases and sounds allot crispier
      07-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #12
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
I'll echo RPM90s opinion. If you want to upgrade buy the base system. I have the Premium HiFi in mine and I'm not thrilled with it (but it's not terrible either).
I agree. I am happy with the premium system, but I don't think its worth $900. If you are big into sound, I'd take that $900 and have it upgraded after market. Especially if you're leasing, I'd forget about it.....stick with the base system...its still nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #13
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I disagree about needing the i-drive to enjoy the premium hi-fi. Yes it's easier to navigate an i-pod with it, but if you can't swing the extra couple thou for the premium package, the usb/i-pod interface works well enough so you can pick playlsts or put it on shuffle. Selecting individual tracks is not as visually simple as with the i-drive, but once you get used to it, it's OK.
      07-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #14
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
I disagree about needing the i-drive to enjoy the premium hi-fi. Yes it's easier to navigate an i-pod with it, but if you can't swing the extra couple thou for the premium package, the usb/i-pod interface works well enough so you can pick playlsts or put it on shuffle. Selecting individual tracks is not as visually simple as with the i-drive, but once you get used to it, it's OK.
Obviously you dont have a 160gb ipod
Really tho, for the money it is unacceptable. A kenwwod unit for 600.00usd can do everything and more including better sound processing.
Premium system is only sound improvement, nothing else. No added functionality or value. And the price of the ipod kit does not reflect the benefits. And you have to buy an ipod cable even if you already have the IPOD KIT. It is a rip off, plain and simple. The usb method with a standard system is deff the better route and you still have room to upgrade later on.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 12:55 AM   #15
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

The premium upgrade produces very clear sound. Well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 01:20 AM   #16
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiS4 View Post
i am leasing - so for now may stick to the premium system - thanks
I'm leasing too, but that shouldnt' stop you. An amp, subs, and comps are easily returned to stock if you do the wiring cleanly from the start.
If you don't spend too much on the comps you can even leave them in if you want. In my 325i, leased, I returned everything to stock before the return.
It isn't too difficult, just keep it simple and clean.
Even just a better amp will make a big improvement, probably the biggest.

I have to qualify my comment here, because if you don't know what and how to do an upgrade, or have a friend who can do it, then go with the hi fi.
In terms of leasing, you're only paying for about 60% of the added cost anyway, or $575 for a 3yr lease, of the $875 additional cost.

For me, I do the work myself, so it wasnt' worth it to get the hi fi.
But, honestly, even if I were not leasing, then even more reason to use the money for a MUCH better upgrade later.
"Acceptable" is one thing, good sound is another.
But then, a lot of people think MP3's sound good, so, so much for sound quality.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 01:25 AM   #17
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoQuick View Post
I was an installer for 2 years and I consider myself an audiophile. I have NOT listened to the stock system. The premium system is worth the money. The sound quality is actually better then I expected. It has your basic tone adjustments...treble/base. Aswell as an equalizer, I can't remember exactly, but I think 6 band.

I am more then happy with it.
Sorry to say, but if you consider yourself an "audiophile", I just can't see how you think the hi-fi/premium is worth the money. For less than the cost of the upgrade, you can get a very nice amp, which will give a tremendous improvement in quality and dynamics, and you should know that.

I don't know if the premium HU has any eq beyond the bass/treble, but I could be wrong as I don't have it. My recollection is that the premium setup just has the uprated amp. The Logic 7 on the other hand has different speakers, more of them, a DSP HU, and some other things.
The L7 has an acceptable sound for daily use.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 02:04 AM   #18
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

ill chime my opinion in here, when i was ordering my car, i spend several hours at the dealerships in 2 separate 1 series that had regular vs. premium sound. when it came down to it, i favored the regular. the bass that was put out cranked all the way with loud rap, techno, rock was not impressive and didnt sound good. however, the stock system put out plenty of bass and had outstanding acoustics. for $900, one could get some JL amps and put those under the seats and get better sound quality than ever expected.

when i was getting my radar detector hardwired at a car electronic shop that caters to the high end cars in the area (they were doing sound in a 959 and carrera gt), the guy who was helping me complimented me on not getting BMW premium sound as he says it is totally inferior, doesnt sound good, and isnt worth the money. he believes that for the money that bmw is charging, you could get an aftermarket system that is out of this world.
      07-06-2009, 05:10 AM   #19
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
ill chime my opinion in here, when i was ordering my car, i spend several hours at the dealerships in 2 separate 1 series that had regular vs. premium sound. when it came down to it, i favored the regular. the bass that was put out cranked all the way with loud rap, techno, rock was not impressive and didnt sound good. however, the stock system put out plenty of bass and had outstanding acoustics. for $900, one could get some JL amps and put those under the seats and get better sound quality than ever expected.

when i was getting my radar detector hardwired at a car electronic shop that caters to the high end cars in the area (they were doing sound in a 959 and carrera gt), the guy who was helping me complimented me on not getting BMW premium sound as he says it is totally inferior, doesnt sound good, and isnt worth the money. he believes that for the money that bmw is charging, you could get an aftermarket system that is out of this world.

Well what did you expect him to say - sure glad they make my business unnecessary?
      07-06-2009, 05:40 AM   #20
annsue
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

With the premium sound system, there are about eight different settings on the equalizer. In addition to that, you can select "music" or "cinema" to get the effect that you prefer. The "cinema" setting sounds more like surround sound to me. I think if this fellow is leasing and doesn't want to monkey around with having an after-market system installed, the premium system is the way to go. Just my opinion, though! Also, the iPod upgrade on my car came with two cables. I use one of them with my iPod and it works like a charm, even without iDrive. The only problem, as has been mentioned on here before, is that you can't see the display if you're wearing polarized sunglasses.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #21
Qunadry
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I have the premium system in my 135i and also have the HD radio. The sound of the HD radio on a local oldies HD station is as good as playing a CD on my home Bose Wave system. Playing a CD, in particular a high quality CD like a Telarc in the car is even better. Worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #22
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I got the premium option in my car after hearing the stock system and knew it was "lacking" (not to say it's not decent, just feels like something is missing).

I knew I would most likely not be upgrading my sound system (biggest audio upgrade I've done to any of my cars was replacing a head unit).

With that said, I've never once looked back on paying extra for the premium.

It's perfect for people who want good sound, without going aftermarket. If I had any intentions of upgrading my system, I would have saved the money and spent in on aftermarket stuff rather than the premium sound.

Last edited by InsaneSkippy; 07-06-2009 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0