BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-08-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Exclamation 1er Forum.de Coding Event…

Instrument Panel and Light Coding event…

I am posting this here bc I really did not know where to stick this. Mods feel free to move it.

I feel really bad. I really meant to e-vite and post this. I just kind of got too busy and forgot too. In my defense I only found out about the event on Friday afternoon. I had to run to work and then I did not get home until late in the evening. By the time I realized that I never posted about this event it was really late Saturday evening. So I did not think anyone would see my post.

I really did not know what this coding event was going to be. It just sounded interesting. The German 1er Forum got this guy to drive up from Muenchen. He can code your car’s instrument panel and have the car key do certain things like roll up the windows or “park” the side mirrors when you lock the car. Everyone paid a few euros to cover this mans gas money and he had a menu of his services on-line which you could pick and choose from.

We all met at a Burger King in Nuernberg area, Sunday morning, Little did I know, I would spend the whole day there! lol

I went with just three upgrades – all quite cool. First was he can increase the voltage that the Angel Eye Ring’s see. This will brighten them A LOT! No new bulbs needed! The second thing I had done was the M3 style digital speedo readout in the instrument BC panel. You can chose to have the buffered analog reading to match your speedo or the ACTUALL speed seen by the car’s vehicle speed sensor. I chose the actual speed. As you scroll thru the BC it shows a “V = “ and the speed. IF you put the car into miles it will show MPH. But I leave my car in metric/Kph. The last thing I got was to have my rear brake lights coded to euro specs. The guy was not sure it would work. So he did not even charge for this! He charged me 40 euros for all of this. A fair price, I thought.

The way the rear “Bang” brake lights work is in a emergency braking event… first the outer brake lights will come on, and then a second later the inner ones (the same as the rear fog light uses) will light up. On German models… the inner brake bulbs/lights will FLASH while you make this emergency braking. I wanted the flashing on my car.

Another benefit is IF BMW were to ever update my software… the update would get rid of these upgrades. So I would know they re-flashed my ECU. The code guy will re-code your car free – in the first year. You just have to come to him in Muenchen or meet him at one of his “sales events”. He travels all over Germany with a lap top and upgrades many, many BMW’s. He told me that many of his German customers go to the USA to buy BMWs and send them over here. He does the recoding for the cars to meet EU/German laws. And for a few minor upgrades.

As I talked to this code guy, he told me that he often comes to Nuernberg. You only have to pay a few euros for his back and forth time to recode your car. I think 14 euros per hour. And Muenchen is only about an hour away. So it is not too bad. Here is the guys website:

http://www.car-coding.de/pageID_9140127.html#1

Ok, onto my photos…

Dackel

It was a cold rainy day…

In interesting color combo… 400 PS Alpina 135i with M3 speedo…

Euro split mirror…

17” winter setup…

Performance Exhaust… I think the tips need to be cut down some…

Here is a look at the stock 135i exhaust tips…

M3 speedo cluster… car is OFF… note the tach…

Engine is now running… note the tach redline…

17” winter setup on this 135i…

Adaptive euro lights… curve lights…

Non-Adaptive euro lights…

My car…

My 17” winters…

M3 e-speedo…

You can see how far off the factory speedo is.

Back at home… my recoded Angels… w/stock bulbs!

It’s hard to show you how much brighter they really are…

Its hard to show… but my car sits a little bit higher than the euro models. I could fit two fingers between the rear tire and fender flare on my car. Only one finger on this black 135i.

Hatches…

Depo’s…

16” steel snows…

From BMW’s ad’s…

Anyone have one of these? I don’t. The owner said its part of the ISOfix option for child seats.

18” snows…

iCarbon…

CF but its hard to show you…

Painted glossy roof…

Oli likes to drive slow…

BMW Performance CF spoiler… would you look at the paint on this car!

130i hatch…

Performance roof spoiler…

What kind of wheels are there? # ??? What car did they come on?

And e90 also showed up…

Coded angels on left (w/Mtech bulbs) and Oli’s un coded car with 100 watt angels…

Coded vs more Watts…

Last edited by Dackelone; 11-09-2010 at 05:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
blingers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Pre-LCI 130i

great photos mate. i've learnt alot from looking those pics.

like the coupes have an oil temp gauge... is this for turbo'ed cars? my 120i and other na hatches don't have this.

and is the m3 cluster fully plug and play with the 1er? i can imagine the tacho will only go to 7-8k rpm max and maybe the fuel gauge will be way off because of the different fuel tank sizes between 135 and m3... (this is from experience with toyota clusters). and how about the odometer? does carry km from the m3?

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Only x35i cars have an oil temp gauge. IF the car is a NA or a diesel - those cars only have a fuel gauge.

The M3 instrument cluster was a straight forward swap the guy said. You just need someone to code it to the 135i. ie going from 8 cylinder to 6 cylinder tach signal, ect. Everything works except for the outer LED tach lights. The holes cut into the tach ring, those do not work/light up. But the outer red/yellow colrs move as the engine warms up he told me. I thought it was quite cool.

The owner told me that at first you could find used M3 instrument gauge pannels on ebay.de for 200 or 300 euros. But now people want too much he said. A new M3 instrument pannel costs 500 euros he said. He charges under 100 euros (I think!) he said for the coding. He can install everything if needed to. I think the M3 gauges look great!

This coding guy was really interesting. He knew alot about BMWs. Esp one series. He also codes VAG stuff too. But most of his business is from Germans going to the USA to buy cars (M3's and 335i's) and then importing them over here. He can code them to German specs. The only thing he can not do is code the speed limiter to a higher one. I know bc I asked him! lol He said also for ppl who buys cars in the USA... to make sure they get that high speed syncronation option (#840 ?) for the higher top speed (250 kph instead of 210kph).

Here is a quick video of the 135i "performance" with the PE exhaust. He had an Alpina tune for 400 PS he said.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

I just got the answer on those wheels on the white 1er hatch from a member of the German forum. Thought I would share with you the info...

"from Fux96

Dackel, you asked where those rims on the white 130i come from, those are Styling M164 from the Z4 M E85/E86. BMW was running them out for 58€ a piece for a few weeks, 7.5x18 ET41, would have been perfect winter rims, but I was too cheap to just order a set and see what I would do with them"

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Nice pictures and interesting also!

But the Alpina isn't blue?

BK in Nuernberg is just wrong.

Did you ask hime about the alarm presuming one could get the harnesses? Can he make the clown nose blink without an alarm?
The 135i with the Munich tags is black. Not blue.

I did ask him about the clown nose. But my car doesn't have the clown nose. I have a black knob there - manual rear view mirror. And he said it can not be done. IF I had premium pack... I think he could code it to flash. I know he did "code" another white e87 there that day. Because we could hear the alarm arming and beeping. But I did not see what he was doing.

But for the cars without the prewired alarm system: You can not put in alarm. I guess thats kind of like blue tooth after the fact. It can't be done.

Btw... you can email him direct if you like. ?

Mail@car-coding.de
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
blingers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Pre-LCI 130i

Quote:
Did you ask hime about the alarm presuming one could get the harnesses? Can he make the clown nose blink without an alarm?
if you are good with electronics hear is a diy without alarm
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=clown
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
That's interesting. Thanks.

I wish my initial CA had not told me the alarm could be added post production.
That was ture only until cars produced up to half way thru 2009 M.Y. I think. Then BMW decided to delete the alarm wiring harness to make the cars cheaper. Just like other small changes to de-content our cars. Like: rear trunk lock cylinder delete under the trunk ledge/plate area, passenger side door lock cylinder, base stereo system changes, ect, ect.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingers View Post
if you are good with electronics hear is a diy without alarm
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=clown
Actually it is a lot easier than that to make a flashing LED. You can buy them from Radio Shack or the like. Or... for my old e36 I bought one from BMW for a Z3 with an alarm.

I bought what BMW calls a "flasher" BMW part number 65758357417 for about 20 euros. I then wired it up. As most people know... an LED needs +12V and a ground. But in order to make the LED flash. But that would either require you to build some IC circiut like the above link or use a relay OR... get down right ingenious!

What you can do is this. Since a LED needs +12V and ground (-) to work/flash. For the positive signal you need to wire that up to a +12V constant source. For the negative side... you want a "switched" +12V source. By using a +12V "switched" source... when the car is switched off and you loose that +12V signal... that wire will go fairly close to ground/negative. AND... your LED will start to flash! Simply but Ingenious!

I was thinking or ordering this "flasher" and building it into my mirror. It might make for a cool DIY project. I bet all the wires are up in the dome/map light area right there too.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 12:31 AM   #9
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Garage List
Servus

Nice pics

@blingers: thats the Guy who get my Lci Blacklines coded

Greetz

Marco
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 05:16 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by comar1979 View Post
Servus

Nice pics

@blingers: thats the Guy who get my Lci Blacklines coded

Greetz

Marco
Hi Marco,

Yea... he coded A LOT of "black lines" rear tail lights that day! Seemed like people either wanted that done or... they wanted their headlights to be coded to US spec Daytime Running Lights! lol

What we(Ami's) have we want German specs. And what the Germans want, is US specs. lol Its funny. I was the envy in the parking lot with my US spec ORANGE(s) headlights! lol

Oli and I did not have an appoitment, so we waited there the whole day! I think I was there almost five hours. lol But the wait was worth it.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Hi Marco,

Yea... he coded A LOT of "black lines" rear tail lights that day! Seemed like people either wanted that done or... they wanted their headlights to be coded to US spec Daytime Running Lights! lol

What we(Ami's) have we want German specs. And what the Germans want, is US specs. lol Its funny. I was the envy in the parking lot with my US spec ORANGE(s) headlights! lol

Oli and I did not have an appoitment, so we waited there the whole day! I think I was there almost five hours. lol But the wait was worth it.

Dackel
Yepp... the grass is allways greener on the other side

A few years ago EVERYBODY changed the Blinker Lights from yellow to silver... now its called "retro" or US Spec when they put there old yellow ones back ont the car´s --> just one Word --> LEXUS Style Lamps
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Holy pictures batman. I want that coding for the lights. Did the guy say if it would reduce the bulb lifespan? Anyways good pics I've never seen that many 1er's in a meeting before. Though I was not a fan of the color scheme of the Alpina 1er.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #13
Leccer
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 1er Cabby

hello guys,

can somebody tell me from where is the Black and White BMW emblem on the first E82 i wanna have one too.

greez
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 06:41 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Man... I can't believe this was eight years ago! I've learned a lot about BMW's since then... but I am proud to say I am still friends with some of the car guys I met at this BMW meeting.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 09:26 AM   #15
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Nice pics from 2010 Dack, enjoyed very much seeing the euro cars. Does that "80" round decal mean snow tires? If yes, it used to be "100". Here in Canada we can import any car after 15 years so in 2019 I'm going to start looking for a very good 1 series hatch to import. Thanks again.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10538.50
      01-27-2018, 06:02 PM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
Nice pics from 2010 Dack, enjoyed very much seeing the euro cars. Does that "80" round decal mean snow tires? If yes, it used to be "100". Here in Canada we can import any car after 15 years so in 2019 I'm going to start looking for a very good 1 series hatch to import. Thanks again.
Basically that decal was put on as a joke...

That "80" decal is meant for trucks or(car)trailers... it means that 80 kph is the maximum, speed that vehicle can travel at. Back then ALL vehicles towing a trailers could only go 80 kph max. Also large trucks(LKW's, 18 wheelers) are limited to 80 kph on the Autobahn.

Now for the reason that "80" sticker was on Oli's burgundy 1er Coupe 120d(he made it look like a 135i by deleting his fog lights)... Oli is is the owner.... and he is known to drive really slow on the autobahn - in order to save fuel! So one of his friend's put that sticker on his car as a joke. I seem to recall him getting pulled over a few times by the Polizei(at some tuning shows)... and they were questioning that 80 kph sticker! lol

Today, some trailers can drive up to 100 kph... but they have to be inspected by your local TUV and THEN they send you to the Polizei for a special 100 kph sticker with a embossed seal on it. Most people only have 80 kph trailers over here though. Even IF you are visiting from another country that has a 120 kph rated trailer... you can only legally drive at 80 kph, unless you have a "Bundes" seal on your speed rating for your trailer. Welcome to Germany.

Some small "box trucks" will have these rated speed limit decals.
Name:  Anhanger  auto-mit-anhaenger-300x200.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  51.6 KB

I think, technically... these types of car transporters do to have a 80 or 100 speed rating. They can drive as fast as they like/can go. But most drive around 100 kph...
Name:  anhanger  auto.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  151.9 KB

Name:  Anhanger  DSCF1524.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  124.5 KB

One has to go to your TUV(safety inspection shop) and then to the DMV(KFZ registration buro) to register(and pay!) for the 100 kph sticker and have the higher speed rating added to your car's title/registration papers.
Name:  Anhanger 100-kmh.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  207.0 KB

Germany has MANY rules! lol
Name:  Anhanger   81UKPcWXpkL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  13.1 KB

Note: the 100 kph decal... on the trailer's left rear fender...
Name:  anhanger  auto   bild_fotos_169693.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  58.4 KB

For this kind of truck(LKW) it is limited to 80 kph on the Autobahn...
Name:  Anhanger  schlepper.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  136.4 KB

Name:  autobahn   600.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  65.4 KB

Here's a good one... "When wet 250 kph" speed limit. On the Autobahn there are many sections when its raining they have a 80 kph speed limit. What is considered "wet"... when you are following a car on the Autobahn and you can see their tire marks.
Name:  bei nasse.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  18.1 KB

PS: Here is a good website to find used cars in Germany/Europe...
https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/s...=:15000&vc=Car
Appreciate 0