BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #1
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

BMW performance exhaust.

Does anyone out there know much about the BMW performance exhaust? Reason is that my wife's car came with it, and she was interested to see how it was with the standard exhaust as she felt it was a little too attention grabbing.

I went back to the dealer and retrieved the original from them only to find that it was just the muffler and it was cut.

Is this normal? I was expecting a whole piece. I had a look under the car and the join seems to utilize a collar mating the two ends. I'm wondering if I can rejoin the standard muffler using this.

Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 02:19 AM   #2
AndrewCowley
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Subaru Liberty GT

Yes, that's how it works. Do a search, you'll find plenty of threads on the performance exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks mate, you're right, so I can't see any reason why I couldn't use the same clamp to put the stock unit back.

Cheers mate.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

The BMWPE comes in two parts. An axle-back which is a muffler and pipe that runs under the rear axle and connects to the midpipe via a flange. The second part is a resonator delete, it connects at the flange to your axle-back but then requires cutting of the midpipe to remove a resonator that is in it. This pipe is also referred to as the Y-Pipe due to its shape and is totally a legitimate part of the BMWPE system.

If the dealer has not retained the original midpipe resonator then you can by all means fit the stock axle-back portion of the exhaust as it is 100% the same as the BMWPE axle-back. You will of course still have no midpipe resonator so the car will be a little louder than a totally stock car.

Personally if the BMWPE isn't your wife's bag I would suggest selling your exhaust to a local member and arrange cutting of their midpipe so that you may have their resonator and they may have your Y-Pipe. You never know though, you may like the tone of having no midpipe resonator and stock axle-back, deciding just to sell the BMWPE axle-back which is worth quite a few $hundred.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 06:01 AM   #5
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Cozy, really appreciate your time to provide this information. That now makes it a little less straight forward however.

The rest of the pipe looks stock as far as I can tell based on searches and images, and it seems that BMW, or whoever installed it, simply cut the rear muffler off and installed a BMWP muffler via a twin bolt clamp.

This seemed like a very strange way to install a factory certified component, however it seems this is how it is done.

The dealer provided me with the rear (cut off) muffler, that is all. As above, do you see any good reason I couldn't simply use the same clamp to replace the existing muffler?

The car is very loud however so you're making me think there is more to this PE than just the rear muffler.

thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

EDIT: Ok, maybe a complete oversight by me here BUT, we are talking 135i and not 128i/125i aren't we? If 128i/125i you can pretty much disregard what I've said above and below as how you've found your exhaust may be how it is supposed to be. If 135i though, keep reading.

Well first things first, what year was your car made? This will determine whether it is N55 single turbo or N54 twin turbo. N54 required four Cats to reduce its emissions, this made the exhaust note quite muted. N55 was more emission friendly and required only one large Cat in the down pipe and as a result is louder than and N54 car.

Can you take a picture of the underside of the axle-back and if possible, what parts of the midpipe you can see?

If they cut the pipe righ by the rear muffler then that's just retarded, there is literally no reason to do that at all when fitting a BMWPE, it's bolt on for axle-back only. My guess is maybe the bolts seized on the flange or it's not a genuine BMWPE; these or the installer was a complete bafoon with no clue.

A genuine BMWPE muffler will have a plate spot welded to it with part number inscribed, can you see if this exists?

The pipe size on the stock exhaust and BMWPE is the same so providing the cuts in the pipe line up, you can fit the stock exhaust just fine. Anyone buying your PE in this case will need to have pipe fabricated and welded onto it in order to fit it to their car, I'd not advise they cut off their muffler .

Last edited by Cozy; 02-06-2013 at 06:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

I just installed the Performance Exhaust...it makes the car sound MUCH better!...Nice mature engine sound without sounding like a teenager in a civic. The stock exhaust sounds more like a Toyota Camery lol...

Anyway to each their own, but IMO its what makes the car come alive
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
128i is muffler only, installs with a barrel clamp. On a 135i, there's more to it - midpipe is included.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
ZED4Mjjl
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6 Coupé

I have the PE in my car but only installed the rear muffler section, leaving the resonator from section as is. As I have an N55 the sound is awesome and there is no drone. The exhaust gives the car a nice exotic sound at part throttle and is clearly louder than stock at WOT. I never installed the y pipe because I didn't want excessive noise and the N55 is already louder in stock form than the N54.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

The resonator delete on N55 mids + PE axle-back makes it sound insane. I'd not want to go catless DP's with this setup, you'd definitely need resonated aftermarket mids fro that.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post
Thanks Cozy, really appreciate your time to provide this information. That now makes it a little less straight forward however.

The rest of the pipe looks stock as far as I can tell based on searches and images, and it seems that BMW, or whoever installed it, simply cut the rear muffler off and installed a BMWP muffler via a twin bolt clamp.

This seemed like a very strange way to install a factory certified component, however it seems this is how it is done.

The dealer provided me with the rear (cut off) muffler, that is all. As above, do you see any good reason I couldn't simply use the same clamp to replace the existing muffler?

The car is very loud however so you're making me think there is more to this PE than just the rear muffler.
I can take a photo and post up tomorrow of what bits of the OEM exhaust you should have been given, (and yes it more than just a rear muffler) after a proper PE install (again as Cozy says, can you confirm we are talking about a 135 here?) to compare with what you've been given...?
      02-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
ryan_koko
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 135i

If you'd like to swap your wife's performance exhaust for my stock one with a little extra $$ I'd be game for that
Appreciate 0