E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Four months and my car shows up wrong...

01-02-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
c5driver951
Major, no really
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Blk/Blk

Angry Four months and my car shows up wrong...

I ordered a Blk/blk 330i w/ZSP,ZPP, nav and heated seats on 26 Aug 05. I know most of you guys are used to your orders going to production almost immediately, but I ordered through a military sales program. I knew I'd get the car some time early Dec... Obviously, this didn't happen or I wouldn't be writing this.

I just saw the car today at the local dealer which is closed, and the car was wrong. It has wood trim instead of the aluminum I specified. No disrespect to those that have it, but I am not a wood trim fan.

So after much waiting, including delayed payment by the dealer. I still don't have my car.

This was my first new Bimmer after two previous used M-cars. Needless to say I am now less than enthusiastic about my new car.

I can't talk to anyone official today, but does anyone know how long it would take to get aluminum trim?

Thanks for listening. Rant off. :mad: :mad:

My other car isn't...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
That sucks! I feel for you!

1. Are you definitely sure that one was yours?? Maybe its a similar one you peeked at?

2. If you really want alum...you might be able to get them to swap it out with another vehicle that they currentlyhave on the floor, that has not been sold yet...for FREE, so wait time would be just a day of installation.

Good luck....and you will enjoy your car once they get this fixed. Its a beauty!
      01-02-2006, 05:41 PM   #3
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

i heard the aluminum trim cant be gotten anymore. maybe that has something to do with it. not that they should have just added whatever trim they decided.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
c5driver951
Major, no really
Rep

Appreciate the sentiments, and I am certain the car is mine (checked the VIN and the window sticker is a European delivery). Unfortunately for me, the dealer that has the car has nothing to do with the screw up, so I really can't/won't press them to fix the problem. I ordered the car in Europe when I was there TDY, and had the car delivered in the states.

I am interested to see what comes of the situation. I really don't have time to deal with it right now either.

My other car isn't...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
c5driver951
Major, no really
Rep

cdheaven: My car was built the last week in October - first week in November, and I am pretty certain they still had aluminum trim at the time. If not, I wish someone would've let me know.

I'd rather have wood than that plastic titanium stuff.

My other car isn't...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 06:41 PM   #6
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep

thats a sucky situation c5, i was really worried that my car would come in wrong, and im almost suprised that being on this board for a few months, you are the first i have heard complain about this happening.
i just did a quick search for fun about an aluminum shortage, and i found two posts, one from the first week of octoberish and one from the last week of septemberish, about people getting word from their dealer about an aluminum shortage and aluminum not being avilable anymore. so i dunno.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
c5driver951
Major, no really
Rep

I went back and searched a bunch of the old threads I remembered reading. You're right on the timeframe, but I was thinking I was more or less grandfathered since my car was ordered at the end of August.

There are so many conflicting pieces of info that I'll need to find out what happened first. Then I'll need to find out what they plan to do about it.

The fact that there was a shortage may not have affected the build of my car whatsoever.

My other car isn't...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 08:37 PM   #8
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdheaven
i heard the aluminum trim cant be gotten anymore. maybe that has something to do with it. not that they should have just added whatever trim they decided.
Complete Myth that has in fact been busted. If an 90/E91 is ordered with aluminum and is not specified as a priority 1 vehicle (Customer Sold) BMW will changed the order to wood.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #9
c5driver951
Major, no really
Rep

In other words there is no reason for BMW to have changed my trim to anything other than what was ordered. Assuming of course the order was loaded correctly, and it showed as priority one.

My other car isn't...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #10
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5driver951
In other words there is no reason for BMW to have changed my trim to anything other than what was ordered. Assuming of course the order was loaded correctly, and it showed as priority one.

Pretty much, but if you don't have a status report from when the car was on order than you have no real proof if it was listed as a priority 1 car. Considering how long it took to arrive in the US, I have my doubts. Most customer ordered BMWs arrive in 6-8 weeks. Of course this maybe the norm for military sales.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 06:46 AM   #11
Jimifighter
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Have you contacted your sales guy at Pentagon Auto or whichever dealer you used? Also double check your sales agreement, mine was wrong but caught it just before the order was placed.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 06:51 AM   #12
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 530e XDrive

I had aluminium retrofitted by my dealer, took about two weeks to arrive last month, the centre piece, around the Idrive took the longest, but still all parts were available within 2 weeks from date of order.......
      01-03-2006, 07:44 PM   #13
c5driver951
Major, no really
Rep

The Pentagon Car Sales person was completely unresponsive, and failed to take any responsibility for her not ordering the car correctly. I knew exactly what I wanted when I walked in the door, and thought I had it when I walked out. Unfortunately, she didn't mark whatever needed to be marked to order the aluminum trim, and I didn't realize it was supposed to show up under optional equipment. It looked like only the for cast options were in that section.

My only regret in all of this is ordering through a dealer who gets paid prior to delivering a satisfactory product. They really have no incentive to make it right.

I refuse to pay for something my car should have arrived with in the first place. My next step is management. We'll see how that works.

AidenL: What did you pay for your trim if you don't mind me asking?

My other car isn't...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 10:45 PM   #14
wantmye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330

Hey, so sorry for the screw up. That's got to be very dissapointing. If in fact you are stuck with the car, I'd like to add my two cents and hopefully make you feel better about a wood trim.

I too wanted the aluminum trim, but after reading a few posts and talking to a few folks (including service guys at BMW center) I went with wood. Do a search and you'll see that many people have had problems with the aluminum trim scratching (even with slight pressure), coming unglued, and bubbling up. And then when they try to repair it it only gets worse.

With a black interior, the wood trim (poplar or walnut) looks great, is timeless, and will look new for years and years. I'll bet that it'll definately grow on you and you'd appreciate it in the long run. In the sun, the wood grain is soo much more interesting to look at. I believe too that when it comes time to resell, the wood trim will look better and it'll sell easier than a scratched aluminum trim.

And after you drive the car, the minor details fade away because the drive steals the show. It's awesome. Good luck and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2006, 04:51 PM   #15
c5driver951
Major, no really
Rep

wantmye90: Nice perspective, and probably a much healthier way to look at it. However, I have never been a fan of wood trim, and don't think I should have to "settle" for something I didn't order.

I too read the stuff on the aluminum trim, but I think it breaks up the lines in the dash better than the wood.

We'll see how it works out. I am currently working with BMW AG/ Military Sales to see what can be worked out. If that doesn't work I'll have to punt.

Thanks,

My other car isn't...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2006, 05:13 PM   #16
wantmye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330

Quote:
wantmye90: Nice perspective, and probably a much healthier way to look at it. However, I have never been a fan of wood trim, and don't think I should have to "settle" for something I didn't order.

I too read the stuff on the aluminum trim, but I think it breaks up the lines in the dash better than the wood.

We'll see how it works out. I am currently working with BMW AG/ Military Sales to see what can be worked out. If that doesn't work I'll have to punt.

Thanks,
I certainly understand. At a car of this level, we want everything perfect and especially like we ordered it. Think positive - it'll help. Good luck, and let us know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #17
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Half price on the materials, full price on labour to fit - agreed with BMW Customer Services here, and routed through the dealer, about Euros 350.00 all in.........

Quote:
The Pentagon Car Sales person was completely unresponsive, and failed to take any responsibility for her not ordering the car correctly. I knew exactly what I wanted when I walked in the door, and thought I had it when I walked out. Unfortunately, she didn't mark whatever needed to be marked to order the aluminum trim, and I didn't realize it was supposed to show up under optional equipment. It looked like only the for cast options were in that section.

My only regret in all of this is ordering through a dealer who gets paid prior to delivering a satisfactory product. They really have no incentive to make it right.

I refuse to pay for something my car should have arrived with in the first place. My next step is management. We'll see how that works.

AidenL: What did you pay for your trim if you don't mind me asking?
      01-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #18
c5driver951
Major, no really
Rep

Thank you Aiden.

Was it worth it to you? I wish we could get LeMans Blue here. I would have ordered it in an instant.

My other car isn't...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 02:50 AM   #19
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Yep, I do prefer it to the standard Matt Titanium - to me, it was worth it......

I love Le Mans Blue I must admit !
      01-05-2006, 01:14 PM   #20
Tater
Hauptgefreiter
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
If your salesperson was Lauren, she may not have been responsive because she hasn't worked there for a couple months. I had a pretty good experience working with her, all things considered. Of course, I don't pick my car up for a few more weeks, so I'm knocking on wood when I say that.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 03:34 PM   #21
c5driver951
Major, no really
Rep

No, my salesperson wasn't Lauren, but I'm beyond the sales rep at this time. Mr Terry Haverty the sales manager took care of me and said he'd fix the trim.

Long story over. Pentagon Car Sales made good, and is going to fix the trim. I am pleased this came out correctly. Too bad it had to happen at all.

I'm excited to have the right trim being installed.

My other car isn't...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #22
Tater
Hauptgefreiter
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Good to hear that PCS will make things right, despite already having their money and being an ocean away.
Appreciate 0