BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
tremere613
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i M package convertible

Exclamation Some questions about clutch bleeding...

Hey guys I'm tackling a whole bunch of projects on my car at once....
Figure if I already lifted the car and removed the plastic panneling its time to to install the modified CDV.
some questions about bleeding the clutch....

Is reverse bleeding as easy as it looks? (already bought a oiler can and some tubing)
Does the pedal need to be actuated when I reverse bleed? how about afterwards?

Should I let out some fluid out first or just begin reverse bleeding?

How important is priming the tube first?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

By reverse bleeding I assume you mean using a vacuum bleeder. I have never tried this with the clutch, but a couple comments... The space is pretty tight. I wouldn't want to try to actuate the vacuum, keep the tube on the bleed screw, and turn the wrench at the same time. I'm sure it it possible, but I have to imagine it would be a PITA. Also keep in mind that the bleed screw is plastic and can snap off if you're not careful.

Just an FYI... I used a pressure bleeder when swapping out my CDV. Even after running several ounces of clean brake fluid through the bleed screw with zero bubbles, the pedal pressure was nonexistent. I had to pump the clutch 50-100 times before the clutch pressure was back to normal. I've had zero issues since.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
tremere613
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks! You seem to be the only guy online today...
      12-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
tremere613
First Lieutenant
Rep

12-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
tremere613
First Lieutenant
Rep

Tool recommendation anyone?
      12-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
By reverse bleeding I assume you mean using a vacuum bleeder.
No. Reverse bleeding is pushing fresh brake fluid from down bellow at the slave cylinder and UP to the brake res. That way the trapped air bubbles will naturally raise up to the res. You would do this with a old fashioned "oiler". BUT I would only use a brand new one filled with clean fresh brake fluid. Brake fluid and oil and not a good mix!

When I did my CDV delete I just used my pressure bleeder. I use a Motive unit like this.

http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.c...der_p_115.html

My backup plan was to use an oiler can and reverse bleed IF it did not work. Using the Motive presser bleeder I did have some issues with getting some trapped air out. I might just use an oiler next time around - I need to do a CDV on another car.
Appreciate 0