BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Rear seat fold?

Wtf. Ok some of you may remember the funny story about how i was able to lock my girlfriend in the car without her being able to get out.

This was mainly because there is no fold button inside the cabin for the rear seats. Nothing i can find (manual, visual inspection) allows me to fold the rear seats from inside the cabin.

My point is that "WTF". The emergency unlock lever in the boot is oviously there for people locked in the car. They are meant to get into the boot and get themselves out using that lever. But that means they have to be able to fold the rear seats down from inside the cabin!

So, has BMW put that emergency lever in there for people who get dumped in the boot by the local mafioso? Or is it just a complete and utter fucking waste of time to have that latch there, considering i can't get into the boot by folding the rear seats when inside the cabin!?

I may just be completely stupid, but i can't find any way to get into the boot from the cabin, rendering the emergency boot release completely and utterly defunct.

Last edited by Taymaishu; 06-14-2010 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

You are right, there is no way to release the rear seats from inside the car to get out of the trunk. However, there should also be no way to lock yourself in the car so you would need to do this, all you have to do is press the 'unlock doors' button on the dash.

The emergency release in the boot is for anyone who gets locked in the trunk (boot), and is a mandatory safety feature that all cars must have.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lester; 06-14-2010 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
You are right, there is no way to release the rear seats from inside the car to get out of the trunk. However, there should also be no way to lock yourself in the car so you would need to do this, all you have to do is press the 'unlock doors' button on the dash.

The emergency release in the boot is for anyone who gets locked in the trunk (boot), and is a mandatory safety feature that all cars must have.
In Australia the unlock button on the dash will not work unless the key fob is in the slot, rendering the whole car deadlocked. When my girlfriend (who i locked in the car) previously locked my car keys inside my boot, BMW Assist said not even hitting that with a coathanger will work as it is completely deadlocked.

Hence, I could lock anyone in my car with absolutely no way of getting out.

So i guess the emergency boot release lever is for victims of mafioso style crime!

Basically how i locked my girl in the car:

1. Got out of car
2. Closed door
3. Locked doors with fob.
4. She tried everything to get out (including the unlock button on dash) but couldn't get out.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
delete-this-account
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: DD

so how long has she been in there now?
      06-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by intehnet View Post
so how long has she been in there now?
Starting to decompose.

No nagging!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

quoteTaymaishu;In Australia the unlock button on the dash will not work unless the key fob is in the slot,

Must be just you! My car does not need the fob for the lock/unlock button to work
      06-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Alex, it must be a fob setting for your car.. I tried locking the car with wifey inside last time you mentioned this problem on the forum and my car just opens from the inside by pressing the "lock/unlock" doors button.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #8
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Alex, it must be a fob setting for your car.. I tried locking the car with wifey inside last time you mentioned this problem on the forum and my car just opens from the inside by pressing the "lock/unlock" doors button.
I'll have a look when Christine gets back or called BMW Assist and ask.

However, do you have CA?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
I'll have a look when Christine gets back or called BMW Assist and ask.

However, do you have CA?
Sure do..

But even thou, as a safety requirement, the occupents of a car have to be able to unlock the car from the inside regardless.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Sure do..

But even thou, as a safety requirement, the occupents of a car have to be able to unlock the car from the inside regardless.
Yeah i assumed so - funny how mine doesn't.

I actually remember when the keys were locked in the boot. BMW Assist said don't even try to hit the central unlock button as it won't work. Their response was that as soon as the car was locked using the keys, it's "deadlocked".

I didn't believe them and wedged a coathanger through the rear part of the passenger window, managed to get it over to the dash. Hit the button, no avail

When Sam was locked in the car she hit the button too and nothing happened. I might call my dealer and see what's up.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #11
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Actually...my car does the same thing as yours Alex. (Not surprising considering our cars are twins)

I'm pretty sure it's a feature by BMW so you can safely lock dangerous things in the car and ensure they don't get out (carjacker, kids, wife etc.)

Took a break from study and went to garage to check. Here's the video:

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OyqxB4ZnEW8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OyqxB4ZnEW8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black

Last edited by Jeef Beef; 06-15-2010 at 12:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #12
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Hahahaha Jeff i love it!

Thanks so much for doing that too - confirms my issue. Just bloody horrible.

When i was putting some stuff into storage a couple of months ago when preparing to move, the storage place owners saw Christine (in all her glory) parked out the front. We got talking and i told them about what Sam did (i had the dog in the back seat with the sunroof open in the shade - he was happy as hell!). They said a woman with a 3 series came in one day and locked her keys in the boot. BMW Assist came down and told her to get it towed to Col Crawford (about 300m away). Apparently they couldn't do anything about the keys in the boot and she couldn't remember where her spares were

Last edited by Taymaishu; 06-15-2010 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 12:48 AM   #13
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Took a break from study and went to garage to check. Here's the video:
That's actually a bit scary!

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 12:52 AM   #14
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
That's actually a bit scary!
Yeah my Mrs was a bit scared when i did it.

Bit think of this... somehow locking yourself in the car with no mobile phone.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 01:31 AM   #15
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yeah my Mrs was a bit scared when i did it.

Bit think of this... somehow locking yourself in the car with no mobile phone.
Put key fob into ignition.

Open window with just enough room to fit key fob through.

Lock doors with key fob.

Eject key fob through aforementioned window crack.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 01:33 AM   #16
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hahahaha Jeff i love it!

Thanks so much for doing that too - confirms my issue. Just bloody horrible.

When i was putting some stuff into storage a couple of months ago when preparing to move, the storage place owners saw Christine (in all her glory) parked out the front. We got talking and i told them about what Sam did (i had the dog in the back seat with the sunroof open in the shade - he was happy as hell!). They said a woman with a 3 series came in one day and locked her keys in the boot. BMW Assist came down and told her to get it towed to Col Crawford (about 300m away). Apparently they couldn't do anything about the keys in the boot and she couldn't remember where her spares were
I've never done it before so I've yet to experience the horror of locking myself (or someone else) in my car with no discernible means of escape.

Towed to dealership? Man that's retarded.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #17
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Retry, but insert the key in the dash, remove key, don't open a door and try to lock. You can only deadlock yourself in the car if you give the car no reason to think there is no one left in the vehicle.
      06-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

The deadlock feature has been there for a while. It's the same for my 318i. Once you lock the car with the remote, you won't be able to start the car either, until you unlock it with the remote. The only thing is that if you've goto CA, you can't lock the keys in if the car detects the key. HOWEVER, if the car DIDN'T detect the key, you can still lock your keys in with CA. I recently locked my keys in the boot, because I have my keys in my bag. Although the car detected the key outside when I open the boot, once I put the bag inside, it fails to detect it and have it shut, and locked as the doors were locked. If you have your keys on its own, it wouldn't lock the boot. Sorry, for going OT.

Main thing is, make sure you don't lock anyone in the car unless you intend to. Had some fun with my wife one day as she's parked her car just outside the backdoor of the shop. As I see her climb in her car, I locked the car with my keys. She couldn't start the car and open the door, until she was smart enough to unlock it with her car keys.... I was in trouble afterwards though. he he.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 06:27 AM   #19
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

The door handles will still open the door. I tried yesterday. The button on the dash doesn't work as discussed, however the door handles open the door.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #20
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
The door handles will still open the door. I tried yesterday. The button on the dash doesn't work as discussed, however the door handles open the door.
What? Mine don't. You can see from the video. The car's like a prison.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 06:53 AM   #21
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Slight hi-jack (sorry). Try this (easter egg) fun kids in NON CA cars....

1. Shut all doors, insert wierd key thingy into wierd hole in dash as per normal.
2. Start engine in the usual fashion (assuming correct number of virgins have been scrificed to the HPFP gods - they indicate their pleasure by turning off one of the rear parking lamps)
3. Stop engine and remove key thingy
4. Push start button and see what happens.
5. Hey presto, DIY CA :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #22
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
What? Mine don't. You can see from the video. The car's like a prison.
You have to pull them twice. The video shows the button up on the second pull, which indictaes they are unlocked.

Last edited by Lester; 06-16-2010 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0