BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2011, 01:45 AM   #23
Rustom 8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

sooo lost.... anyone here attempt this shit w no experience and just going off directions and a friend that may or may not know wtf hes doin either lol... jw their experience and time and stress involved... would love to save like 400 bucks on install
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #24
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

If you have no experience working on cars and you don't trust your friend I'd say it's best to pay someone or find somebody you trust to help. It's not hard if somebody is experienced in what they're doing.
      06-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #25
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustom 8 View Post
sooo lost.... anyone here attempt this shit w no experience and just going off directions and a friend that may or may not know wtf hes doin either lol... jw their experience and time and stress involved... would love to save like 400 bucks on install
without at least one somewhat-experienced mechanic present, this is probably not a good idea. maybe you can find a local on the forums here to stop by and give you some guidance?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #26
cecilcohen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 Alpine White

Fourtailpipes is correct in how to do it. Its not hard at all. The only difficult is making sure you have the right spring compressor if you are swapping springs only out.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #27
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilcohen View Post
Fourtailpipes is correct in how to do it. Its not hard at all. The only difficult is making sure you have the right spring compressor if you are swapping springs only out.
Bringing this thread from the deep.

Fourtailpipes method seems like a huge time saver, but it's almost too late to be of help for me. ECS and BavAuto have detailed videos of positioning the strut outside the fender before removing it (that's what i did for one side). Why would they detail this if you could just move the knuckle off of the strut first? I have to think there's a reason for this. The only thing i can think of, is getting better access to spreading the knuckle? My strut was almost stuck, and took a bit of fighting to get out.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #28
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops128i View Post

Fourtailpipes method seems like a huge time saver, but it's almost too late to be of help for me. ECS and BavAuto have detailed videos of positioning the strut outside the fender before removing it (that's what i did for one side). Why would they detail this if you could just move the knuckle off of the strut first? I have to think there's a reason for this. The only thing i can think of, is getting better access to spreading the knuckle? My strut was almost stuck, and took a bit of fighting to get out.
What did you end up doing?
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #29
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeryan View Post
Yeah, I see where later on people start removing larger chunks of the suspension to get at the strut/spring. I linked to a decent DIY for E82 in there, but here it is reposted: http://www.oneseriesbmw.com/forums/1...-1-series.html
you didn't happen to download or otherwise save a copy of that DIY? it's no longer online at the URL....
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #30
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato-main-man-5am
Quote:

What did you end up doing?
I positioned the struts outside before removal. Then on the knuckle, used 6mm to 7mm Allen head sockets and a big screw driver as a spreader.

I just didn't see how to easily slide the knuckle off the strut first. I'm sure it's possible, just didn't know how to smartly apply the force to break it free.
      09-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #31
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

Quote:
I positioned the struts outside before removal. Then on the knuckle, used 6mm to 7mm Allen head sockets and a big screw driver as a spreader.

I just didn't see how to easily slide the knuckle off the strut first. I'm sure it's possible, just didn't know how to smartly apply the force to break it free.
Good to know. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #32
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

It's very easy. I did 5 times already on my car
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #33
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

Good to know. And I see you are in San Jose. Hmmm. Wanna earn some pizza and beer and advise if things go south!
Appreciate 0