BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-12-2015, 12:38 AM   #45
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
I love how your daughter's bf (presumably) looks so depressed because he can't drive it!!
Not sure what BF is thinking but he is GZerman linage and his dad drives a X3 and mom has a brand spank'n new A3 so good odds your correct,! props
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #46
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
don't you love it when Audi drivers try to express superiority? lol.....i recall absolutely DUSTING an S5 when i had my old 135is......and he pulled up at the light and said "are you modified" and i said "no" and he said "that's weird" and i laughed and said "it's not weird at all"
I used to be that Audi driver...but my Audi backed up my mouth. Also, the S5's aren't fast, especially the V8 ones..
I was an Audi driver for 10+ years too....nothing Audi has made or makes compares to the 1er. Not even close...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #47
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
I was an Audi driver for 10+ years too....nothing Audi has made or makes compares to the 1er. Not even close...
In your overly biased opinion, no. We all know you're rep. around here and your obsession with the 1er, so it doesn't surprise me that you'd say that. But, I've driven the TT-S and the TT-RS and they are just as good as the 135i/is or the latter to the 1M. Hell, at least with that car you get AWD traction to go along with your understeer.

Now some people like all that sliding around the ass end stuff, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I prefer to not have to worry about that when I'm pulling onto a fast and heavily trafficed access road on a blind hill that requires me to really get into that throttle to ensure no one ends up in my backseat.

And, as I hear so often, if the MKII TT is a "hairdresser's car", than the 1er is, too.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 04:51 PM   #48
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
In your overly biased opinion, no. We all know you're rep. around here and your obsession with the 1er, so it doesn't surprise me that you'd say that. But, I've driven the TT-S and the TT-RS and they are just as good as the 135i/is or the latter to the 1M. Hell, at least with that car you get AWD traction to go along with your understeer.

Now some people like all that sliding around the ass end stuff, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I prefer to not have to worry about that when I'm pulling onto a fast and heavily trafficed access road on a blind hill that requires me to really get into that throttle to ensure no one ends up in my backseat.

And, as I hear so often, if the MKII TT is a "hairdresser's car", than the 1er is, too.
      09-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #49
allikanbe
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

My wife has one.

She likes the 300 hp and exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #50
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449
Quote:

have you really driven any of these at any length? or just talking based on reading some articles? Sounds like lazy observations.

I have driven ALL the TTs including the TTS and TT-RS and there is nothing near a 1M in there. The TT-RS is really fast....the engine is beautiful....but the balance is underwhelming as are the brakes and loose steering. The 1M feels like a sports car....the TT-RS feels like a sporty coupe. Nothing wrong with that....but the 1M is far more special. The 1M may understeer slightly on a track but it's default is massive oversteer you can even feel on the street....if you've ever driven one you'd know. The TT-RS and TTS also share most suspension components with each other....so the TT-RS doesn't feel very different to the TTS. The 1M, on the other hand, is an M3 suspension and brakes underneath so it feels very different.

the TTS is also not as interesting to drive....even remotely as a 135is. 4 banger...nah. It doesn't interact like a 1-series does....nor is it as balanced in any way.

Perhaps you should go back to Audi if you enjoy that type of numb driving experience...or if you compare cars based simply on 0-60 times. Some of us actually drive the cars to formulate an opinion. An Audi S3 may suit you....fast, boring, and totally numb! I drove one and was totally underwhelmed.

I don't think of the TT as a hairdressers car at all...I think of it as a well made sporty coupe....heavy on design less on performance. I think the MK1 TT is a design icon and future classic: the later generations sort of lost the badge's identity as has Audi as a whole recently. Not that BMW is actually pure these days or anything....

YES I love the 1-series. This is a 1-series forum. You don't like it? Look away!
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2015, 11:37 PM   #51
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Quote:

have you driven any of these? or just talking based on reading some articles?

I have driven ALL the TTs including the TTS and TT-RS and there is nothing near a 1M in there. The TT-RS is really fast....the engine is beautiful....but the balance is underwhelming as are the brakes and loose steering. The 1M feels like a sports car....the TT-RS feels like a sporty coupe. Nothing wrong with that....but the 1M is far more special. The 1M may understeer slightly on a track but it's default is massive oversteer you can even feel on the street....if you've ever driven one you'd know.

the TTS is also not as interesting to drive....even remotely as a 135is. 4 banger...nah

Perhaps you should go back to Audi if you enjoy that type of numb driving experience...or if you compare cars based simply on 0-60 times. Some of us actually drive the cars to formulate an opinion. An Audi S3 may suit you....fast, boring, and totally numb! I drove one and was totally underwhelmed.

I don't think of the TT as a hairdressers car at all...I think of it as a well made sporty coupe....heavy on design less on performance. I think the MK1 TT is a design icon and future classic: the later generations sort of lost the badge's identity as has Audi as a whole recently. Not that BMW is actually pure these days or anything....

YES I love the 1-series. This is a 1-series forum. You don't like it? Look away!
Does this mean now I don't have a hairdresser's car?

Last edited by Esteban; 09-13-2015 at 03:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 07:04 AM   #52
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban
Quote:
Quote:

have you driven any of these? or just talking based on reading some articles?

I have driven ALL the TTs including the TTS and TT-RS and there is nothing near a 1M in there. The TT-RS is really fast....the engine is beautiful....but the balance is underwhelming as are the brakes and loose steering. The 1M feels like a sports car....the TT-RS feels like a sporty coupe. Nothing wrong with that....but the 1M is far more special. The 1M may understeer slightly on a track but it's default is massive oversteer you can even feel on the street....if you've ever driven one you'd know.

the TTS is also not as interesting to drive....even remotely as a 135is. 4 banger...nah

Does this mean now I don't have a hairdresser's car?
seriously...what a generic and judgemental term to use for a car.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #53
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

I think it's funky. It's definitely reminiscent of a little bulldog. It has a memorable appearance and that's what made me look twice at it when I was shopping 5 years ago.

On the other hand, I really don't care what people think. If they want to think it's a girly car, then I'll blow their doors in with my girly car.
Small aside: I've started to wonder if people associate girly cars with small cars. Gotta be something to consider there.

To the guy belaguering us with his AWD wet dream: I'd take a 50/50 balanced RWD car every time over another AWD car. With the right tires, I have more control with RWD in every. single. situation. This includes snow, and if it gets too deep you're not going anywhere with AWD either. AWD kills fun and only gives the illusion of control in recompense.

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 09-13-2015 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #54
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Well, let's look at it this way - the immature guys who feel like they "need" to drive something "not girly" are generally the type who can run into a wall with a hard-on and bust their nose...

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 08:43 AM   #55
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
The sports seats have that extra panel in front you can pull out to support your testicles.
This killed me hahahaha

09-14-2015, 09:13 AM   #56
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
have you really driven any of these at any length? or just talking based on reading some articles? Sounds like lazy observations.
Yes, I have. Both of them tuned and stock.

Quote:
I have driven ALL the TTs including the TTS and TT-RS and there is nothing near a 1M in there. The TT-RS is really fast....the engine is beautiful....but the balance is underwhelming as are the brakes and loose steering. The 1M feels like a sports car....the TT-RS feels like a sporty coupe. Nothing wrong with that....but the 1M is far more special. The 1M may understeer slightly on a track but it's default is massive oversteer you can even feel on the street....if you've ever driven one you'd know. The TT-RS and TTS also share most suspension components with each other....so the TT-RS doesn't feel very different to the TTS. The 1M, on the other hand, is an M3 suspension and brakes underneath so it feels very different.
There's nothing loose about the steering in the TT-S\RS. Maybe that's just your take, but I have spent significant seat time in both those cars and the 135i (obviously). I do agree the steering in the BMW is superior for feel and I prefer it to be the heavier hydraulic...so that should tell you why I'm in the car I'm in now. The balance of the 1er, on paper, is better, but I find the car diving into corners understeering and exiting with that massive oversteer (as you've stated). I prefer to have one or the other to have fight, not both. I feel that with the Audi, at least you only have to deal with one of those. I prefer faster exit speed. And while the suspension upgrades do make the 1M "feel" different, they don't change the overall dynamic of the car, so I feel that renders your last point there moot.

Quote:
the TTS is also not as interesting to drive....even remotely as a 135is. 4 banger...nah. It doesn't interact like a 1-series does....nor is it as balanced in any way.
And there's your bias coming through.

Quote:
I already told you that I formulate my opinions based on my driving experience with the cars I reference. You really ought to not assume you know everyone's experience before you shoot your mouth off, but this is a lesson in hypocrisy for me because I would do the same. This is an Internet forum and I understand why you would. You're right, I plan to go to that exact car...because after the 1er, based on my statements above, what does BMW have to offer me in my buying category? Nothing...numb electric steering that is sub par to Audi's.

Quote:
That comment wasn't directed at you. It's just a common term used (by even Audi guys and TT drivers) to describe the TT. I thought it fit very well with the overall discussion and point of this thread. Here, I do agree with you in terms of your appearance opinion.

Quote:
I like to be more objective and acknowledge there are other options out there. You don't like it? Look away!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #57
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
And while the suspension upgrades do make the 1M "feel" different, they don't change the overall dynamic of the car, so I feel that renders your last point there moot.
they are not suspension upgrades...it has an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT subframe, hub, steering, suspension, chassis, and brake set up (it's an E9X M3 Competition package underneath). It behaves very differently to the 135 in different circumstances. Have you actually driven a 1M? No lies, please.

The overall dynamic of the 1M is totally different than the 135. I have owned BOTH.

You seem like a super biased Audi fanboy in hiding. I was once like you....until i realised that Audis are merely nice cars pretending to actually be fun to drive----i owned them for 10+ years. I know all the cliche Audi fighting points better than you do.....but instead of remaining under the umbrella of bias; i now choose cars based on their merit. I still have a modified MK1 TT hidden away in a garage.....have owned it for 12+ years. Will probably sell it soon...

I am not a BMW fanboy...i am not an Audi fanboy...i am none of those things. The 1-series is a unique car in general, and the 1M is even more unique. There's NOTHING in the Audi lineup that can come close....

If you think the TT-RS steering is GOOD.....then you have very low standards. If you think opinions are "objective" then you are completely and entirely delusional!

Last edited by IEDEI; 09-14-2015 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #58
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
If you think the TT-RS steering is GOOD.....then you have very low standards. If you think opinions are "objective" then you are completely and entirely delusional!
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 12:54 PM   #59
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
they are not suspension upgrades...it has an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT subframe, hub, steering, suspension, chassis, and brake set up (it's an E9X M3 Competition package underneath). It behaves very differently to the 135 in different circumstances. Have you actually driven a 1M? No lies, please.

The overall dynamic of the 1M is totally different than the 135. I have owned BOTH.
I know, I just wanted to see you go off the deep end...it worked.

Quote:
You seem like a super biased Audi fanboy in hiding. I was once like you....until i realised that Audis are merely nice cars pretending to actually be fun to drive----i owned them for 10+ years. I know all the cliche Audi fighting points better than you do.....but instead of remaining under the umbrella of bias; i now choose cars based on their merit. I still have a modified MK1 TT hidden away in a garage.....have owned it for 12+ years. Will probably sell it soon...
You seem like a super biased BMW fanboi not at all in hiding. I'm nothing like what you describe me as. In fact, owning a BMW and driving the new ones for comparison I've realized that newer BMW's are merely nice cars pretending to actually be fun to drive. That excludes our 1ers and the cars of its similar or older construction. I am by no means a fanboi of Audi, I've just found that beyond the 1er, there really isn't a compelling reason for me to continue on to, say, an M235i. Looking out at the landscape, in my price range, Audi is the only car company that's going to provide me with what I want out of my next car. If my budget were a bit higher, I wouldn't be considering either make for my next vehicle, if you want the truth.

I think it's SO cute how you think your length of owner experience with Audi's makes your knowledge superior to mine when you have NO idea how many of these cars I've modified, wrenched on, etc. that were both mine and, mostly, NOT mine...in a professional environment to boot.

Good call on selling the MKI, they're royal pieces of shit (unless it's a 3.2, but even then is just a heavy, slow Audi coupe witha great exhaust note).

Quote:
I am not a BMW fanboy...i am not an Audi fanboy...i am none of those things. The 1-series is a unique car in general, and the 1M is even more unique. There's NOTHING in the Audi lineup that can come close....
Yes, you are a BMW fanboi. Admit it to yourself and move on. That last sentence is pure, unadulterated bias and I'm not the only one who's called you out on it. Get over yourself and your high and mighty opinions.

Quote:
I think it's fucking stellar compared to the new BMW's...which is all I highlighted for comparison between steering systems in the first place. You're so excited to defend your precious 1M, and BMW's, that you didn't even comprehend what I said regarding steering and why I chose the 135i of all the cars I could've bought when I bolted from Audi.
Appreciate 0