BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-05-2014, 03:50 AM   #1
cools20
A God
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Running catless downpipes without a tune

Hey i was wondering how long i can run catless downpipes without a tune? Possibly installing downpipes this friday and will be diving it all week/weekend till i get the tune by some point next week. Can i install them this week or will it screw up the motor/turbos/ext in any way. (I know the cel will be on)
      03-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
frank35
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I JB3 DCI

You can install them without any problem
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Service engine soon light will come on after about 60 miles or so. Just means the post cat O2 sensors are reading bad emissions. Doesn't effect anything else.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I modded my 135 sort of as I got good deals on things. An AR Dp groupbuy got me way before I got a few different tunes. So I've spent plenty of time with downpipes and no tune with no complications. The worst that might happen is your car might stumble or possibly misfire when the ECU tries to clear the situation before it throws a SES light. So technically you might want to take it easy when you don't have an SES light.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
cools20
A God
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank35 View Post
You can install them without any problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Service engine soon light will come on after about 60 miles or so. Just means the post cat O2 sensors are reading bad emissions. Doesn't effect anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I modded my 135 sort of as I got good deals on things. An AR Dp groupbuy got me way before I got a few different tunes. So I've spent plenty of time with downpipes and no tune with no complications. The worst that might happen is your car might stumble or possibly misfire when the ECU tries to clear the situation before it throws a SES light. So technically you might want to take it easy when you don't have an SES light.

alright awesome thanks for the help guys! ill be sure to take it easy for the 1st 60 miles till the light goes on, and i get the tune. thanks again