BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-31-2011, 07:45 PM   #23
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
its easy to spend alot on lenses, i have spent about 10k in the last year, canon L lenses are a nasty addiction, however for the most fun and awesome sharpness the Zeiss planar 50mm T 1,4 is a bargain for $750. Alot less then the Canon 50mm f1.2 L. only drawback is manual focus, this website shows a good image of it, no review yet. but i highly recommend.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

on a smaller sensor this will act like 85mm lens

Harlequin nice pics by the way, 60d is a nice camera, canon rules
Very nasty addiction indeed! Oh well, I guess it's the same with any other passion one might have.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #24
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Mate, amazing pictures. What % tint have you got? Looks GANGSTA spec and contrasts well with your AW.

I'm not sure about B&W roundels...the blue like Tay said provides that hint of colour which rounds off the white and black quite well.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 01:16 AM   #25
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Vinny, I have the D7000 if you want to play around next time we meet up?

By the sounds of it, there are a few amateur photographers in brisbane, maybe we could have a shoot one day! I've been aching to get the camera out and play...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #26
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Mate, amazing pictures. What % tint have you got? Looks GANGSTA spec and contrasts well with your AW.

I'm not sure about B&W roundels...the blue like Tay said provides that hint of colour which rounds off the white and black quite well.
Yeah... really happy with the Tint. It's a new Tint-a-Car product called "Octane". It's 35% so street-legal but it's got a black pigment added to make it appear darker...Came out really well...

http://www.tintacar.com.au/octane.php

Have been wondering if maybe the B&W Roundels would be too much... Gonna leave it as is for the moment... JLeviSW don't have stock of the sizes I'd need at the moment anyway...

- Harlequin
      04-01-2011, 05:35 AM   #27
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Never been a big fan of color matched roundels....The BnW just says BMW to me....Think your car looks great with the BnW
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #28
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Next lens is going to be this one:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM

It's around the $1200 - $1400 mark... but it's REALLY nice...
2 of my friends have this lens (one of them is sitting right next to me on a 7D) and I honestly find it pretty disappointing. The IS seems pretty temperamental, and both of them have focus problems. And they're not very sharp at all even when they are in focus.

Would highly recommend giving it a miss, and instead looking for a Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC which you can have for $450.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglemangle View Post
Just discovered great lens for lazy photographers - Tamron 18 -270 PZD
Stay the f away from this lens! I had it as my first SLR lens on a D40 and a D90 and it sucked on both. AF kept hunting and I missed lots of shots because of it. Also it's very slow at the tele end!

The newer version II might be a bit better, but it's still pretty horrible optics-wise!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 02:42 AM   #29
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
^^^That Tamron has worse IQ than its non-VC counter-part according to all the reviews I have read. And from every review the IQ on the Canon is still the best overall, with the Sigma I mentioned earlier coming in a close 2nd (at least for a standard telephoto). Great reviewing system at the site below for all 3 lenses....(sorry for threadjack OP...my last post on the subject)

Tamron Review: http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/48..._canon?start=2

Sigma Review: http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/53...0f28os?start=2

Canon Review:
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/42...is_50d?start=2
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 02:45 AM   #30
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
^^^That Tamron has worse IQ than its non-VC counter-part according to all the reviews I have read. And from every review the IQ on the Canon is still the best overall, with the Sigma I mentioned earlier coming in a close 2nd (at least for a standard telephoto). Great reviewing system at the site below for all 3 lenses....(sorry for threadjack OP...my last post on the subject)

Tamron Review: http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/48..._canon?start=2

Sigma Review: http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/53...0f28os?start=2

Canon Review:
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/42...is_50d?start=2
This thread is about OP's new camera and what lens he plans to put on it next, so not OT at all

Hadn't read that about the new VC version, thanks for the info. If the Canon 17-55 is the best though then I'm pretty disappointed as some photos even look soft at Facebook res My Panasonic 20/1.7 eats it for breakfast in the IQ department, but that's a whole 'nother system.

Maybe OP needs to look at some primes!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 03:01 AM   #31
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
^^Well that is the problem...you really shouldn't compare IQ on a zoom lens with IQ on a prime lens....its like comparing the lap times for a regular M3 to the Bobby Rahal/Letterman ALMS M3.....on is a dedicated track machine and the other is a "jack of all trades".
Primes will almost always be universally better in IQ....but most people arent gonna want to always carry that much kit to cover so much focal range right?

BTW the Canon has the best IQ overall but the other two come very, very close...the question is: Is the Canon twice the cost better? IMHO: NO....but from what I have read the Siggy is a pretty good bang for buck considering IQ, build features, and price....
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 03:54 AM   #32
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
^^Well that is the problem...you really shouldn't compare IQ on a zoom lens with IQ on a prime lens....its like comparing the lap times for a regular M3 to the Bobby Rahal/Letterman ALMS M3.....on is a dedicated track machine and the other is a "jack of all trades".
Primes will almost always be universally better in IQ....but most people arent gonna want to always carry that much kit to cover so much focal range right?
True. But at least the OP is aware of primes now I personally prefer zooms but find that the prime is so sharp that I can crop the image afterwards and it's still sharper than if I used a zoom lens at the equivalent focal length...

Quote:
BTW the Canon has the best IQ overall but the other two come very, very close...the question is: Is the Canon twice the cost better? IMHO: NO....but from what I have read the Siggy is a pretty good bang for buck considering IQ, build features, and price....
Agree, cheapest price I can find for the Canon is $1062 vs the Tamron's $450 and the Sigma's $674.

I think they're also a lot smaller than the Canon?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 04:03 AM   #33
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Yeah they are smaller...and you would think build quality on the Canon would be better given the heftier, heavier lens but again according to reviews it just isn't so (in full disclosure i have held none of these lenses in my own hands). If the Canon was L-series then it would get my vote hands down...but since it is not I would rather save the money....but to each their own (based upon your wallet size )
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 04:16 AM   #34
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah they are smaller...and you would think build quality on the Canon would be better given the heftier, heavier lens but again according to reviews it just isn't so (in full disclosure i have held none of these lenses in my own hands).
I'm holding one right now and I can tell you, it wobbles an awful lot!

Almost as much as a rattle toy
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 04:32 AM   #35
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
BTW Facebook resamples the photos so the resolution is going to suffer regardless...better to put the pics on FlickR or other sites like it and then just link it.....do a search on flickR for Canon efs 17-55 2.8: http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon_17-55mm/ and you will how some got their shots....
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #36
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Stay the f away from this lens! I had it as my first SLR lens on a D40 and a D90 and it sucked on both. AF kept hunting and I missed lots of shots because of it. Also it's very slow at the tele end!

Spot on, but the lens i have is the new one - different optics and new AF drive (piezo).

I like it. Very cheap (less than 700)!

http://www.maxwell.com.au/tamron/di-ii18-270vcpzd.html
http://www.photoreview.com.au/review...-pzd-lens.aspx
Appreciate 0