E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > The weirdest thing happened....story of a lucky escape

12-11-2005, 08:26 PM   #23
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

That was an amazing movie!

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2005, 09:10 PM   #24
xsb00st
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow

He could have been off-duty and on his way home.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2005, 11:37 PM   #25
user1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 330ci; 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby 330
i just got caught for speeding.... 90 in a 50. I know the guy didnt clock me, because he said i was going 90, but by the time i went by him i had slammed on my breaks beforehand. He was facing my direction in the median of the road, and I know he didnt have his radar turned around pointing backwards yet, because i had seen him stop there about 30 seconds before that. Unfortunatley i was really upset (which was why i was driving like a maniac) and i forgot the cop had just pulled right there, so when the light turned green i gunned it. I dont plan on taking him to court because it really isnt worth it and my parents dont really care about the money, they are pissed that i was driving that fast.
For future reference, radar can clock speed of vehicle going towards the radar ( your case) or going away from it (if he turned around then clock your speed.) All radar has to do is measure the change is doppler frequency of the returning radar wave. I am not sure how advance police radars are but a radar that can do both aren't that much more complex.
You are correct. And many cruisers have what is essentially 2 mounted radars, one points front and the other back. So they can still clock those coming up from behind them.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 02:27 AM   #26
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by user1
Actually, as long as the sheriff was in his county he could pull you over and any charges would stick as much as any other peace officer.

Normally when that happens in places out of their jurisdiction the officer is inclined to call for backup from the local officers. When the local officer arrives they take over the investigation. Unlike the general public, an officer can relay events that are seen and the receiving officer can act as if he/she had seen it first hand. This stands up in court whereas in the general public this is known as hearsay. If no local officers can respond the sheriff can write you the ticket.

As for why you got off... its 4am and the sheriff probably didn’t feel like dealing with pulling you over, filling out paperwork and calling for the backup. You slowed down and the lights scared you enough.

Plus the sheriff knows he could only warn you as a ticket wouldn’t stand up for this reason: The officer would not have an exact/approximate speed for the ticket. The officer needs radar, laser or matching your speed with his cruiser. All police vehicles speedometers are calibrated and can stand up in court. This sheriff knows his ticket wouldn’t stand up reading "speed somewhere over 65 since he briefly passed me."
You are correct, per my friend who's a sheriff's deputy in OC, the amount of report/paperwork they have to fill out is just a little too much. It is out of their normal jurisdiction so they have to write out lots of paperwork. In addition, they sort of have this unspoken thing with the CHP as to not get involved in what's suppose to be CHP's job. In addition, if they are driving on the freeway, chances are they're headed somewhere instead of being on duty, and no one likes to waste time on "detours", including cops.

I asked my friend about this after a similar incident where I gunned it to 130 in my old car and broke out in cold sweat when I saw a police car rapidly approaching. When I slowed back down to 65 and he caught up, all he did was flashed the light a few times and then pulled off.

As far as the ticket being legit in court... the officers does (consider by courts) have good judgement on the speed of other vehicles. So if they say you're speeding and give good reason why they believe you were, the ticket will hold. The general believe that they HAVE to clock you or pace you for over a certain distance in order to give you a ticket is a myth.
      12-12-2005, 02:40 AM   #27
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Angry Speeding

From my personal experience, it doesn't matter if they are facing you or not. I received a ticket from a cop that I came up in a hurry from behind. He pulled me over for speeding!
      12-12-2005, 07:45 AM   #28
PitJ
Rep
Drives: 525dA touring

Speeding?

I guess this kind of scare is what you have to accept as the downside to being able to buy BMWs so much cheaper than in Germany!

BTW, I don't know how popular Diesel cars are in the US but just as an aside - I maxed out my 320d with 163hp at 145ml/233 km/hr...

:rocks:

Peter
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 12:52 PM   #29
spitfire6000
NJ NYC BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i Monaco/Beige

why are u so scared of cops? they are just people like u and me that happened to not get a college degree and are hence working as police officers to pay the bills.

I swear...the people that get screwed the worst are the ones that act all awkward and scared when dealing with cops....just like this poster. Youre lucky u didnt get caught cause if u did that cop wouldve definately started playing games with you.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 01:08 PM   #30
user1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 330ci; 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire6000
why are u so scared of cops? they are just people like u and me that happened to not get a college degree and are hence working as police officers to pay the bills.
To get on the force in many places you need a college degree... unless you live in Mayberry They have a weighted ranking system that takes into account written and physical test scores, previous government positions (ex military) and education level. Many officers are either ex military or criminal juistice majors. Some even go on to further school to become lawyers. In larger cities there are so many officers with college degrees the competition for detective (& other higher ranking positions) is fierce.

By the way, some peace/police officers view the term cops as slang and would prefer to be called officers.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 02:20 PM   #31
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
That was an amazing movie!
Yeah, good flick.
Kinda scary IMO though.....
....Robert Duvall can be pretty intense.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 02:29 PM   #32
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
Yeah, good flick.
Kinda scary IMO though.....
....Robert Duvall can be pretty intense.
Perfect word for him - intense!

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 03:41 PM   #33
Arby 330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: jet black 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo
For future reference, radar can clock speed of vehicle going towards the radar ( your case) or going away from it (if he turned around then clock your speed.) All radar has to do is measure the change is doppler frequency of the returning radar wave. I am not sure how advance police radars are but a radar that can do both aren't that much more complex.
I know that they can clock you turned the other way. I know that unless he had a radar facing the rear previously set up, he didnt have enough time to do that. I know i didnt hit 90 so he wasnt right either way. I wasnt about to fight the guy though, because i had some things in my car and i was nervous because it was my first ticket iv ever gotten.

5% suntek- all the way around (15% strip on front winshield)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 05:01 PM   #34
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby 330
I know that they can clock you turned the other way. I know that unless he had a radar facing the rear previously set up, he didnt have enough time to do that. I know i didnt hit 90 so he wasnt right either way. I wasnt about to fight the guy though, because i had some things in my car and i was nervous because it was my first ticket iv ever gotten.
Ahh What did you have in your car
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 05:08 PM   #35
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
As far as the ticket being legit in court... the officers does (consider by courts) have good judgement on the speed of other vehicles. So if they say you're speeding and give good reason why they believe you were, the ticket will hold. The general believe that they HAVE to clock you or pace you for over a certain distance in order to give you a ticket is a myth.
VERY TRUE!!! I have seen and heard Cops who can judge your speed just by looking. Remember, they probably have been on the jobs for years- practice makes perfect.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 07:08 AM   #36
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
i guess that was just your lucky day