BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Performance Steering Wheel/Alcantra Question

I have the non electronic performance wheel, and as I feared, my clammy hands are doing a number to it.. I have attached a photo to display what I am speaking of but the gist is at 10 and 2 and all around the exterior of the wheel the alcantra is becoming bedded down, you can see it as a lighter gray in the picture. Is there anything that can be done about this? I don't know what products to use cleaning it and could certainly search but prefer the answer of the forums as much of you have vetted the options, as of yet all I do is run a microfiber over it but I imagine it needs a chemical cleaning of some sorts?

Thank you for the help.
Attached Images

07-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Axelf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35is...

Can't help .... But I think you should take it off and post it too me ...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

Swissvax do an Alcantara cleaner.
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...ner-cat22.html

Don't be frightened to clean this fabric as being synthetic it can withstand a lot of cleaning. You can put a mild detergent on to a terry towel and gently rub the towel around the rim, most of the perspiration build up will transfer into the towel. I've cleaned Alcantara furniture for a living for over 30 years so any questions about fabric cleaning just send me a PM
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

There is a BMW alcantara cleaner, a foam I suppose. Should work fine on it. Just ask your dealer.

Here is a photo of it. Part number may be BA0333.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...er/finder.html

Now, where did you get the cf cover?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 07-11-2013 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

http://www.swissvax.co.uk/product_de...leaner_250ml_2

Another link above. Just use a soft towel to absorb off the cleaner with the soiling
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

The swissvax stuff works good. Havent tried the BMW product. Since we are here, is the performance wheel the same thickness as the stock wheel?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Glad I asked and I've tried to by swissvax locally a few times to no avail, so I may have to stop being lazy and order. I think I read of it in a thread by you, jezzer, in the past.

Great on the BMW part as well, I have asked the dealer multiple times and been pretty pushy, they always say just a microfiber, I knew they wouldn't sell a product without a cleaner so I would push and push for a different answer; I hate south florida dealers, I find them wildly incompetent.

Thanks again guys, and I think I'm keeping the wheel so not shipping it out to anyone but jezzer should get rid of those hideous seats and ship then my way!
      07-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc
The swissvax stuff works good. Havent tried the BMW product. Since we are here, is the performance wheel the same thickness as the stock wheel?
It is and when you have them side by side, the design is idiotic, the flat bottom is for the purpose of leg clearance, but in this design, the distance from the center of the wheel to the low point is the same as the stick round, you just add distance between the center and the outside areas of the flat bottom. I love it though, I feel it completes the interior a bit and it feels great everyday and on the track with no gloves needed.

The cf center is an auto tecknic piece and I have a matching e brake handle, their stuff is a bit on the cheap side when compared to a BMW cf product, they skimp on uv coatings and such, so I would not recommend their products for the exterior but I love these interior pieces, again, all together these pieces really pull the interior together. Asides from them, my buddies 135 clearly had a nicer interior due to his color scheme.
      07-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
boostedtwin
Sheriff
Rep
Drives: spyder, Macan GTS, 4xe Rubicon

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
07 335i  [0.00]
where can I get this steering wheel?
      07-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedtwin
where can I get this steering wheel?
Trim:http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003QACOWS and I would order an m badge from your dealer, it's the same part that's on our wheels, but the one the steering wheel comes with is not of the right quality. Love the trim piece though. Much better than the alcantra one I bought from BMW, the wheel is the non electronic performance steering wheel which you can buy at any dealer I'm the parts department, mine had it in stock.