BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: 3M 2080 Color
Storm Gray (Gloss) 7 70.00%
Satin Flip Ghost Pearl 2 20.00%
Other (please describe) 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

01-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #23
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setright View Post
I see...talking to tradesmen can often lead to new decisions

For longevity, I would also go for the filler, respray and clear protective wrap.

But what does all that cost?

A vinyl wrap might not protect paintwork as well....but a respray isn't protected by anything...unless you spend extra on the clear bra.

Consult your heart, head and wallet
Most of the big holes I've filled myself with touch-up. All the worst damage was on the fenders and bumper which is replaced with new primered BMW parts, so it'll be $38/hr paint labor to paint those panels. Then detail the rest of the car. Clearbra, then ceramic coat. I have a quote for $300 for ceramic which was stated to be annual. Need to call the guy who was going to wrap it and tell him we're changing direction to a clearbra instead and get a quote there.

Gotta decide whether I want my CF delete plug shaved and roof repainted or not.

Decisions decisions.
      01-15-2020, 03:38 PM   #24
AZ1
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I just wrapped in 3M and I am going to wrap in Avery next time. I went back and rewatched videos that I had watched prior to wrapping and so much more makes sense. Just watching Avery getting wrapped it looks a little easier to use than 3m. I dealt with ripping a couple of time from folds.

Picture of the 3m Satin White Aluminum. Not totally finished yet
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ShocknAwe3234.00
      01-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #25
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

This all sounds great.. but have u seen what the paint looks like when taking that shit off??
      01-15-2020, 04:31 PM   #26
asalazar8383
New BMW 128i Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i E82

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitesales305 View Post
This all sounds great.. but have u seen what the paint looks like when taking that shit off??
I too am very curious to know what it does look like after you peel it off. Share please
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 04:49 PM   #27
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalazar8383 View Post
Quote:
I too am very curious to know what it does look like after you peel it off. Share please
Well im no wrapper.. and im sure climate an quality of material prolly play a part.. ever had a sticker on something forever and when u go take it off it either takes the paint with it or leaves sticky jizz on the surface wich seems like u would need gas to strip it off.. yeaaaa that stuff
      01-15-2020, 05:38 PM   #28
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Well im no wrapper.. and im sure climate an quality of material prolly play a part.. ever had a sticker on something forever and when u go take it off it either takes the paint with it or leaves sticky jizz on the surface wich seems like u would need gas to strip it off.. yeaaaa that stuff
Isn't there a product youre supposed to use to peel it off? Adhesive remover?
      01-15-2020, 06:22 PM   #29
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Quote:
Isn't there a product youre supposed to use to peel it off? Adhesive remover?
Ohh im sure tour supposed to use a bunch of shit to take it off.. ive read its more about who takes it off then taking it off.. but i mean.. u pay what 4k$... then 5 years later in florida weather the wrap is toast and then.. pray that A.the paint held up B.the remover knows what hes doing C. Your prolly gonna need minimum another clear coat after all those chemicals!!
Idk.. im scared of it maybe since im not honestly 100% well informed.. the wrap guy makes all sorts of promises.. as the stealership , etc
      01-16-2020, 01:19 PM   #30
Setright
Car Enthusiast
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 120i M-Sport 2022

The vinyl must be heated to ensure easy and clean removal. The adhesive never really sets/cures, it will flow again when heated. Depending on the wrap 70-100 degrees C.

I have wrapped many wing mirrors that I knew I would be removing the wrap from again. I polished all of them first. That does make it harder for the adhesive to bind, especially at the edges, but removal is a cinch. Same goes for all the Nürburgring stickers I have put on my cars through the years. A good polish on the area prior to mounting pays off on the day you remove the sticker again!

Wrappers often use a powerful "primer" pen around the edges of a difficult item...I think that might be the source of the removal scares. Who knows what that primer does to the paint.

OOOPS!!

ShocknAwe, please come back with pictures for us all to enjoy when you're done
Appreciate 0