BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
Intuition
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i AW

Bought 128i in AW to replace my 03 e46 coupe.

Hello everyone.

On Monday I picked up this 128i in alpine white as a replacement for my old 03 silver e46 325ci.

I was really trying to hold on to my e46 because it just fit me so well. The seat, steering wheel, and arm rests on either side just fit me so perfectly. I was at 185,5xx miles and had replaced the automatic transmission, almost the whole cooling system save for the radiator, the belts and pulleys, the alternator, fan clutch, rear suspension, two cyclinders which had misfired for years.

After all that within two years the car started to have problems again and wouldn't overheat but would act bogged down to such a degree that I just had to let it go, it served me well for 12 years.

I had been looking at 2 series but came back to consider the 1er.

After a test drive I was quite certain I was buying it.

It was actually closer in feel to the old 3 than the 2 series. Though I do think the 2 and 1 are definitely closer in feel to each other than the e46 overall. I did like the e46 window height a little better as it was lower and better visibility viewing.

This is my 4th bmw. I had a 96 z3 and still have an e30 325ix which I sadly don't use as much as I should.

I usually have silver cars. This is my first white car so I am not looking forward to likely having it not get away with looking as clean as a silver car gets away with on average clean days.

The 128i is a 2012 and has had the electrical wiring recall already performed.

I am still learning how the radio/cd player controls work.

I am having the issue where no warm air comes out of the front vents though does come through the window and floor vents just fine.

Eventually I will get some new wheels. I had the Hamann hm3s on my z3 and see that Beyern makes a wheel called rapp which seems to look pretty good on the 1 series. I'd leave the lip chrome but try to match the alpine white on the spokes.

https://b.cdnbrm.com/images/products...ifestyle_2.jpg

I want to replace the orange headlight corners with clears as I like the cleaner look and am probably going to get a set of white kidney grille slats from....

https://www.salesafter.eu/product_in...th-chrome.html

Keep it simple.

Beyond that I'd likely keep it fairly OEM.

I feel like I would like to do something to the front bumper like a lip but I noticed that there really isn't that many options for the 2012+ models. Likely would have to switch to the 135i front piece or the older 128i part to get anything like that.

So far though I can say that the 128i is much more responsive than my previous three bmws. I was so used to the e46 325ci that I will say that the 1er suspension is a little more firm that the e46 but much more forgiving than the z3 was. I am unsure if the car has different suspension settings yet as I wouldn't mind a slightly softer feel but the responsiveness is really nice in its own regard and I might adjust after a few weeks anyways.

Beyond that I am wondering if anyone has any usual things to look for with the 2012 128i that I should check and take care of now.

Thanks for any info in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 02:00 PM   #2
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

Welcome! I really like the E82, but alas, it's no E46. Still a cool car that's not too complicated.
      01-16-2020, 05:18 PM   #3
asalazar8383
New BMW 128i Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i E82

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuition View Post
Hello everyone.

On Monday I picked up this 128i in alpine white as a replacement for my old 03 silver e46 325ci.

I was really trying to hold on to my e46 because it just fit me so well. The seat, steering wheel, and arm rests on either side just fit me so perfectly. I was at 185,5xx miles and had replaced the automatic transmission, almost the whole cooling system save for the radiator, the belts and pulleys, the alternator, fan clutch, rear suspension, two cyclinders which had misfired for years.

After all that within two years the car started to have problems again and wouldn't overheat but would act bogged down to such a degree that I just had to let it go, it served me well for 12 years.

I had been looking at 2 series but came back to consider the 1er.

After a test drive I was quite certain I was buying it.

It was actually closer in feel to the old 3 than the 2 series. Though I do think the 2 and 1 are definitely closer in feel to each other than the e46 overall. I did like the e46 window height a little better as it was lower and better visibility viewing.

This is my 4th bmw. I had a 96 z3 and still have an e30 325ix which I sadly don't use as much as I should.

I usually have silver cars. This is my first white car so I am not looking forward to likely having it not get away with looking as clean as a silver car gets away with on average clean days.

The 128i is a 2012 and has had the electrical wiring recall already performed.

I am still learning how the radio/cd player controls work.

I am having the issue where no warm air comes out of the front vents though does come through the window and floor vents just fine.

Eventually I will get some new wheels. I had the Hamann hm3s on my z3 and see that Beyern makes a wheel called rapp which seems to look pretty good on the 1 series. I'd leave the lip chrome but try to match the alpine white on the spokes.

https://b.cdnbrm.com/images/products...ifestyle_2.jpg

I want to replace the orange headlight corners with clears as I like the cleaner look and am probably going to get a set of white kidney grille slats from....

https://www.salesafter.eu/product_in...th-chrome.html

Keep it simple.

Beyond that I'd likely keep it fairly OEM.

I feel like I would like to do something to the front bumper like a lip but I noticed that there really isn't that many options for the 2012+ models. Likely would have to switch to the 135i front piece or the older 128i part to get anything like that.

So far though I can say that the 128i is much more responsive than my previous three bmws. I was so used to the e46 325ci that I will say that the 1er suspension is a little more firm that the e46 but much more forgiving than the z3 was. I am unsure if the car has different suspension settings yet as I wouldn't mind a slightly softer feel but the responsiveness is really nice in its own regard and I might adjust after a few weeks anyways.

Beyond that I am wondering if anyone has any usual things to look for with the 2012 128i that I should check and take care of now.

Thanks for any info in advance.
I really liked the E46, it was a very satisfying car. 12 years? You gave it a good run!

I have an E82 128i. I am not racing, so bypassing the additional maintenance the 135i is cool with me.

The options for a 2012 are a little more limited, true.

White for me is my favorite color, you can't really see the dirt until you get close. Anything on it from far away is indistinguishable.

Your considerations for Grille, and wheels is awesome. I am really attracted to both, esp the grille.

The issues for this car are pretty well documented on this forum, I am sure you'll run into them.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:23 AM   #4
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I have a 2011.

It's the typical stuff. Mostly gasket stuff as the car gets some mileage. Mine had around 68K when I bought it and the OPG was already done. It was weeping slightly, so not an urgent repair but the owner had it done anyway.

The stuff below I did myself without much issue. If you are competent with a wrench, you can do these as there are plenty of DIY's on this site and You Tube. I had never worked on a BMW before. Most of the gaskets below cost less than $100. It's labor where they rape you.

Waterpump and Thermostat _ Read more into this subject as this one can strand you if not being proactive.
OFHG - Oil Filter Housing Gasket
VCG - Valve Cover Gasket
OPG - Oil Pan Gasket
Belt and Tensioner

Most of the items mentioned above I did as preventative maintenance. I think my car is above 75K miles now, but I wasn't having issues. But most people recommend doing these by 100K miles.

Also then you have the other stuff just like any other car. Coolant Flush, Brake Fluid Flush, Rear Diff fluid change, Transmission Fluid Change.