BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #45
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
I'm sorry, but this is silly lol. The interior is different. The look of the car is vastly different. The suspension, the LSD, the very limited production... It all combines to something you can't really emulate by putting extra bits on a 135i. And yes, it would be MUCH more than 5k. Closer to 10k is very correct, and has been proven on these very boards by two different people who are undertaking their 135 -> 1M conversions.

For me the 1M would be the epitome of a driver's car, one of the very last of its kind. So again, if I were in a position to pick between the both, I'd pick the 1M.
From a performance standpoint a 1M performance can be matched / exceeded with a properly tuned 135. All the core pieces are there or can be swapped / alternatives used.

It's really a matter of costs / values and understanding the worth to the buyer. In my mind the real desirable aspects of the 1m is the looks and prestige. So for me to achieve that in a 135 would require both performance upgrades ($10K +) plus body work (another $10K +) and I still wouldn't have the prestige (and warranty likely)

With that a 1m with low miles for mid 50K is the better option for someone like me. Otherwise I settle for the looks of a 135 with very good 1m like performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #46
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
From a performance standpoint a 1M performance can be matched / exceeded with a properly tuned 135, don't kid yourself.

It's really a matter of costs / values and understanding the worth to the buyer. In my mind the real desirable aspects of the 1m is the looks and prestige. So for me to achieve that in a 135 would require both performance upgrades ($10K +) plus body work (another $10K +) and I still wouldn't have the prestige.
...yea I wasn't referring to performance. I'm not kidding myself or anyone else, not sure what you're trying to imply. I was referring to exactly the same thing you said. Performance, AND body work. Minus prestige.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #47
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
...yea I wasn't referring to performance. I'm not kidding myself or anyone else, not sure what you're trying to imply. I was referring to exactly the same thing you said. Performance, AND body work. Minus prestige.
Yeah, sorry misread. + add probable loss of warranty and certainly you would kill your resale value.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #48
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Yeah, sorry misread. + add probable loss of warranty and certainly you would kill your resale value.

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #49
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
From a performance standpoint a 1M performance can be matched / exceeded with a properly tuned 135. All the core pieces are there or can be swapped / alternatives used.

It's really a matter of costs / values and understanding the worth to the buyer. In my mind the real desirable aspects of the 1m is the looks and prestige. So for me to achieve that in a 135 would require both performance upgrades ($10K +) plus body work (another $10K +) and I still wouldn't have the prestige (and warranty likely)

With that a 1m with low miles for mid 50K is the better option for someone like me. Otherwise I settle for the looks of a 135 with very good 1m like performance.
I am assuming by "performance" you mean power and straightline speed. Then you are totally correct. Otherwise I am yet to see any tuned 135i (or any other tuned N54/N55 engined BMW) putting better lap times on any track. Correct me if I am wrong, maybe I missed some. On paper, I agree that achieving handling performance should be possible too; but how much work and money is needed to get there as well? So, again we are at the point that it all depends on what he wants to do with his next car, what he expects from it. He should just go and drive them, that's all.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #50
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I am assuming by "performance" you mean power and straightline speed. Then you are totally correct. Otherwise I am yet to see any tuned 135i (or any other tuned N54/N55 engined BMW) putting better lap times on any track. Correct me if I am wrong, maybe I missed some. On paper, I agree that achieving handling performance should be possible too; but how much work and money is needed to get there as well? So, again we are at the point that it all depends on what he wants to do with his next car, what he expects from it. He should just go and drive them, that's all.
Actually, the straight line is the easiest to achieve. Yes the handling portion cant be replicated / exceeded. Bushings, links, sway bars can all be swapped and dampener / springs upgraded better then 1M stock. Brakes can be upgraded better then 1m stock. And while you may not be able to install the variable lock LSD the difference between that and a locking or torsional LSD would make little difference in lap times for 95% of drivers. Still, you are talking over $15k at this point.

The stock 1m can be beat by a properly tuned 135i. it's just not worth the money. Still, I think the proper place for a 1m is the garage except for weekends and track days. Using it as a daily commuter feels wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #51
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Actually, the straight line is the easiest to achieve. Yes the handling portion cant be replicated / exceeded. Bushings, links, sway bars can all be swapped and dampener / springs upgraded better then 1M stock. Brakes can be upgraded better then 1m stock. And while you may not be able to install the variable lock LSD the difference between that and a locking or torsional LSD would make little difference in lap times for 95% of drivers. Still, you are talking over $15k at this point.

The stock 1m can be beat by a properly tuned 135i. it's just not worth the money. Still, I think the proper place for a 1m is the garage except for weekends and track days. Using it as a daily commuter feels wrong.
I understand that feeling of need to protect something rare and special, reserve it for special occasions but for me it is simply better to drive it whenever I can I think that's the real point of 1M like any good M car.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #52
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
My 1M is a DD, until it rains or snows...then the 1999 Audi quattro gets the duties...I'm not keeping miles down and babying my car for future resale values...i figured a high mileage car will still garner a higher price than a similar 135 in the secondary market as a track car...but by the time i sell I'll be in my 70s...so easy retirement money or a nice present for my daughter and a son-in-law...
      11-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #53
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post

Don't forget the steering rack. I had a 135i before getting the 1M and the difference in the steering is like night and day.
Appreciate 0