05-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #67
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad One View Post
...I agree with the other folks on the 4 point harness. These should only be run with a roll cage of some description.

Schroth makes a great(!) harnesses designed for the STREET not the track. As long as the person who did the seatbelt install followed Schroth's instalation directions - the harness is fully tested by TUV and safe. Makes no difference wether he has a roll hoop/bar in the car.

Who would want to drill holes in the floor boards or weld in a roll cage in your brand new car anayway!?!? Esp a street car.

The only advantage I see by using the BMW seatlbelts is their pyrotechnic seat belt pretensioner in the event of a crash.

The main thing about any harness is the angle of the rear belt anchors. I am sure Schroth has fully tested that. I see nothing wrong with the OP's setup. I reather like his choice of mods for his 1M. I can't wait to see/read his review of his newest //M.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #68
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
First off, AWESOME car MDREI!!!! I would like to clear some things up though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novator View Post
With the Schroth Harness did you go with the Rallye, Auto Control, Quick Fit, or Quick Fit Pro? How do you like them?
They are the Profi II's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
It's not a racing harness. It's a street-legal 4-point street harness.
Manufacturer says specifically that it's for non-competition open track days and street usage.

Video:
http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Qu...Crash_Test.wmv

And a ton of instructions on how (not) to use/install this system:
http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/BM...structions.pdf
You are showing the "quick fit" harnesses which is not what he has. He has the Profi II's which are SFI certified (for racing) but comply with DOT standards because of the orange release button. It doesn't mean it's ideal for street driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Schroth makes a great(!) harnesses designed for the STREET not the track. As long as the person who did the seatbelt install followed Schroth's instalation directions - the harness is fully tested by TUV and safe. Makes no difference wether he has a roll hoop/bar in the car.

Who would want to drill holes in the floor boards or weld in a roll cage in your brand new car anayway!?!? Esp a street car.

The only advantage I see by using the BMW seatlbelts is their pyrotechnic seat belt pretensioner in the event of a crash.

The main thing about any harness is the angle of the rear belt anchors. I am sure Schroth has fully tested that. I see nothing wrong with the OP's setup. I reather like his choice of mods for his 1M. I can't wait to see/read his review of his newest //M.
Again, this is a RACING harness that is also street legal. If you are in a rollover and the roof crushes down, you will have nowhere to go and your head and neck will end up supporting the cars roof. If you run the harnesses, it is best if you also where a helmet with a HANS system to help decelerate your head in an impact (since your body really wont move too much due to the harnesses). With a standard seatbelt, you are allowed to move forward, impact the airbag, and return to the sitting position. With the harness, your head will still fly forward but your body will remain upright for the most part.

Schroths ASM technology does increase safety by allowing your torso to move forward while decelerating somewhat but it is not safer than the OEM set-up. A rollcage/bar is very important when using these.

Also, the angle of the belts must not be more than 20 degrees below the shoulder/openings of the seats. If there is no harness bar and an impact occurs, the seat will compress and spinal injury can occur. This is why the belts should be routed straight back or slightly downward.

Here is a pic of my setup. Mine stay wrapped around the harness bar and I only have the seats, belts, and cage installed for trackdays and shows. I did not have to drill any holse in the car at all. I did notch a little bit of my carpet though.

The drivers belt is the same as the OP's (race certified). My passengers belt is a Schroth Ralleye cross (DOT legal but not race legal.)

Hope this helps.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #69
supracg
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

So for us 1 series owners can we just by those front and rear fenders for our cars if we want fatter tires, if you're heavily modded I know a lot of people have trouble putting the power down sometimes
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #70
providence
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35xi, F15 X5 (35d), 1M

very nice set-up. I have the same idea in mind.. Is that is same 1 series performance rear spoiler? my ad wants to confirm before ordering for fear of potential differences in the 1m...
love the look... enjoy in good health.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #71
Joer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
There he is. And yes, he's a male, no question about it. Nick? "Black bulldog". Things you see: Performance kidneys, spoiler, steering wheel and seats. Plus street legal Schroth 4-point harnesses. To come after the break-in: shifter rebuild (the parts are being made right now), steel brake lines, Pirelli P Zeros.

A couple of pics:
Congrats! Love the seats and the steering wheel too!

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #72
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfan View Post
I wish 1series & 1M was streched out by 20% (from side view).
The rear looks out of proportion to my eyes, or the roof is just too tall...

It's like somebody edit the photo, reducing the width but keeping the height the same.

This's what I did with an e92 m3: Reducing the width by 20%, while maintaining the height, & I think it looks like a 1M

Or It's probably just my eyes.

p.s. I googled for an e92m3 & chopped the pic. Not sure whose car that is. Sorry about that!
See in my eyes the E92 is too long. The front is fine but too much behind the driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #73
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Awesome!

Subscribed for more!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #74
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

I love those fenders.
      05-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #75
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

i want those seats!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #76
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
i want those seats!
+1

I'm going with those gills and a CF spoiler right off the bat plus tints.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #77
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'm somewhat surprised that Schroth is recommending this setup because some of it is directly contrary to other advice from Schroth that I recall reading. Particularly the HANS photo....that is directly contradicted by the specifications HANS provides. For example, I seem to recall that you cannot have the mounting location of the shoulder belts so far from the seat or so much below the shoulder level. Maybe the difference is the type of belt here.

http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Co...structions.pdf

Anyway, great looking car, enjoy it in good health!

Last edited by vantagesc; 05-06-2011 at 01:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:45 AM   #78
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
i want those seats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
+1

I'm going with those gills and a CF spoiler right off the bat plus tints.

+10000000

GTS
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 05:20 AM   #79
oman135
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Amazing !
      05-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #80
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
Quote:
Mk II version of BMW performance steerig wheel (the version without the electronic display):

So we just need to swap the blue band with an orange band (to match 1M interior stitching) and good to go !

Then again, the flattened wheel might not be ideal for drifting ?
whoa, dont show me stuff like that! - i might have to buy it - although it seems a bit weird to swap the already cool steering wheel in a brand new car...

just found out that this steering wheel is available with the yellow marking instead of light-blue and with white stitching also - but i would instantly buy it if it would look like the one pictured (i.e. M-colours) - does anyone know if one can purchase it??

enjoy your cars

Last edited by evolution80; 05-06-2011 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: found additional info
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #81
SamChas
ON TRACK !
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series M coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution80 View Post
whoa, dont show me stuff like that! - i might have to buy it - although it seems a bit weird to swap the already cool steering wheel in a brand new car...

just found out that this steering wheel is available with the yellow marking instead of light-blue and with white stitching also - but i would instantly buy it if it would look like the one pictured (i.e. M-colours) - does anyone know if one can purchase it??
I Order one like that but the blue line on mine is Yellow.. I think is depend the year's of production ..
MODZ:BMW Performance Steering, Matte Black Kidnney Grill, Vishnu Pro-ceed, Matte Black ///M Badge, Tinted Windows, Black Side Marker with Clear Tint. AFE Intake, ActiveAutowerke Downpipe, ActiveAutowerke Charge pipe With BOV kit, Black Exhaust tip, PowderCoated Wheels||
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #82
mech.m3
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i m sport

wow, nice!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #83
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Mk II version of BMW performance steering wheel (the version without the electronic display):

So we just need to swap the blue band with an orange band (to match 1M interior stitching) and good to go !
+1, Looks awesome.

Who can confirm the new part number? (MkII, M colored stitching)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #84
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
He looks soo snarky! I love it. If it can't be as "mean" as an E9X it might as well look like this!! Totally my style hahaha.

I haven't until now seen a photo that captured that pesonality of it. Yep, definitely a male!!

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #85
Makkasteez
1nt3n5ity
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

better pics PLEASE
your car is beautiful!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 03:12 AM   #86
RC3
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F10 528i

Garage List
2011 F10 528i  [10.00]
love your car.

2011 F10 528i Black Sapphire / Oyster Black
2000 E46 325ci Cabrio Titanium Silver / Black - retired
1997 E36/7 Z3 Montreal Blue / Black - retired
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #87
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfan View Post
This's what I did with an e92 m3: Reducing the width by 20%, while maintaining the height, & I think it looks like a 1M
Bit of a bumpy ride with those wheels
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #88
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchui369 View Post
OP, what are the OEM tires on the car for you to want P Zeros. I figured OEM tires would be Michelin PS2. Personally I'd opt for the new Michelin Super Sports over the P Zeros.
Appreciate 0