BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #23
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

There is a thread on b m w c o d i n g about changing from a US TPMS to the European system. One thing to remember is monitoring by wheel speed is not as accurate as the sensors in the wheels. But it seems possible. The steps given areisconnect RDC ECU, remove 2VB from VO, code kombi, dsc, cappl. This isn't specific enough for me, I only do simple coding. There is a better or more descriptive thread about shutting down the TPMS so you get no error notices if you don't have wheel sensors. That seems to be significantly easier but you have to disconnect the system or pull the fuse in addition to some coding.

Coding isn't hard to do but the people who know how seem to like to only give a general idea of what changes to make. It's not clear to me why, suggests they don't really want others to know. The excuse typically given is all the stupid questions they get. Being a source of a few of those I can see some merit in the argument but I still wish they'd be a bit more descriptive.

Anyway, if a person really wanted to do this and messed with it some, it can be done.

Jim
      11-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #24
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i xDr GC MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
I also dont like the speed dependant stereo volume. Would love a way to turn it off! I dont want the volume going up on the freeway..
You can set the speed volume gain or even turn it off: the setting is in the TONE section.

Errowen
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #25
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Had the auto wipers deleted by the dealership (programmed out) on my E46 and plan to do the same on the E82 when it arrives. Absolutely hate rain sensing wipers. I have these novel rain sensing devices called eyeballs. They work every time.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #26
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errowen View Post
2) Auto trans:
Press the shift stalk forward for reverse, pull it back for forward. I know it comes from PRNDL, but since those options aren't there anymore, I want to press forward to go forward.
If your car is a 2012 is not an auto, it's DCT.

And I'm struggling to think of ANY car that has a tranny shifter set to push for for forward and back for reverse - that would cause mayhem given the world and his dog has more than half a centuries familiarity to the current system
Was thinking the same thing. R gas always been above D.
Anyone else loves that bmw has it right by having up as downshift and down as upshift? It corresponds to the weight shift in those situations.

One thing i dont like is the extra amount of lag from switching back to drive from reverse.

Forward for forward. Down for reverse. Sounds like rc car controls to me. =)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #27
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Had the auto wipers deleted by the dealership (programmed out) on my E46 and plan to do the same on the E82 when it arrives. Absolutely hate rain sensing wipers.
The rain sensor is never permanently on in the E82: You have to always activate it each time you start the car... At least that's the way it is with my car.
      11-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #28
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
The rain sensor is never permanently on in the E82: You have to always activate it each time you start the car... At least that's the way it is with my car.
Ah, so I could drive in the rain, sensing the rain with my eyes, and put the wipers on at the rate I wish them to wipe? If that's true, then I don't need to delete the function. On the E46, it was all or nothing, and it was maddening.

Thanks for the help!

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #29
Tom_135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Absolutely correct. It's a US-mandated thing, to compensate for lazy ppl.
There you go More Government!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #30
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Ah, so I could drive in the rain, sensing the rain with my eyes, and put the wipers on at the rate I wish them to wipe? If that's true, then I don't need to delete the function. On the E46, it was all or nothing, and it was maddening.

Thanks for the help!
I'm pretty sure that's the case... I hope someone can confirm my observation.
      11-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #31
Rowdy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errowen View Post
You can set the speed volume gain or even turn it off: the setting is in the TONE section.

Errowen
Pardon my ignorance (car still isnt in my driveway) but where is the tone section? Couldnt figure out how to do this on my R56 either and they're quite similar.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #32
panoz7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:

Thanks for the help!
Sort of. You'll be able to set the wipers to the standard or fast speed, but I don't believe you'll be able to use the intermittent mode. I've never tried it myself, so I could be wrong, but the manual shows intermittent mode activated using the same button that initiates the automatic wipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145
In general.... I wish manufactures would remove the TPMS sensors...
I wouldn't mind having the sensors so much if there was a way to view the current PSI. What's the point of having a more accurate system if all it does is warn us when the pressure gets below a certain threshold? It kills me that the car knows the exact pressure but there's no way to access that data.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #33
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Absolutely correct. It's a US-mandated thing, to compensate for lazy ppl.
I'm pretty anal about checking my tire pressures frequently but every time I've had a TPMS warning (in both the BMW and our family car) was leaving in the morning to work when I didn't know I had picked up a nail and it was impossible to see by looking at the tire.

On my 135i, the (255 width) 35 profile sidewall looked fine, even though I had about 15 psi. So thank you TPMS.

Our family car that my wife drives has 20" 50 profile tires and the TPMS has stopped my wife from driving to work twice recently. Both times it was very difficult to see the tire pressure was low by looking at the tire.

So I don't agree that it's only for "lazy ppl". Flat tires used to be much more obvious with taller tires and softer sidewalls. I'm not even running run flats on either car, but 35 and 50 are relatively low profile tires which do not deflect much when low on air.

I do agree that I wished it would display the current pressure of each tire. It can tell me which corner has fallen below the threshold in the cluster, but why not have a stalk menu option that displays current pressures.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #34
hernandez706
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
I'm pretty anal about checking my tire pressures frequently but every time I've had a TPMS warning (in both the BMW and our family car) was leaving in the morning to work when I didn't know I had picked up a nail and it was impossible to see by looking at the tire.

On my 135i, the (255 width) 35 profile sidewall looked fine, even though I had about 15 psi. So thank you TPMS.

Our family car that my wife drives has 20" 50 profile tires and the TPMS has stopped my wife from driving to work twice recently. Both times it was very difficult to see the tire pressure was low by looking at the tire.

So I don't agree that it's only for "lazy ppl". Flat tires used to be much more obvious with taller tires and softer sidewalls. I'm not even running run flats on either car, but 35 and 50 are relatively low profile tires which do not deflect much when low on air.

I do agree that I wished it would display the current pressure of each tire. It can tell me which corner has fallen below the threshold in the cluster, but why not have a stalk menu option that displays current pressures.
I have an '11 e82 and the tpms will point an arrow to the exact tire. On the other hand, my '10 e90 does not!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #35
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

I would like to see a constant digital display of my mph when the cruise control is engaged.

Did someone mention sloppy hydraulic clutch engagement due to the restrictor valve?

How about lack of a dipstick?

Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #36
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
If your car is a 2012 is not an auto, it's DCT.
Better tell BMW - horrible misprint in owner's manual refers to it as "7-gear Sport automatic transmission with double clutch."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
And I'm struggling to think of ANY car that has a tranny shifter set to push for for forward and back for reverse - that would cause mayhem given the world and his dog has more than half a centuries familiarity to the current system
Most 3 speed and 5 speed manual floor shift transmissions, for a start.

Errowen
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #37
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
How about lack of a dipstick?
Mack
OMG So much plastic under the hood I didn't even notice. I thought the electronic oil level display was additional!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #38
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Forward for forward. Down for reverse. Sounds like rc car controls to me. =)
Where I find it awkward is when looking over my right shoulder to reverse into a parking space and trying to push the shift lever forward with my right hand at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #39
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

I absolutely love the rain sensing wipers. I usually have it set to most sensitive or 2nd to most sensitive and that works for me. If anything I feel it wipes more than it should.. Coolest thing ever. Especially when it's not raining and the roads are wet.. Whenever someone gets in front of you and starts to spray water on your windshield it immediately wipes it away.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 05:16 AM   #40
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

I think it is PERFECT that is why I'm 1addict and f**k them all who don't like this car
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #41
EuroTunerz5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW BMW 135i M-Sport PPK

I am surprised to hear so many complaints regarding the rain sensing wipers.... I actually have found that this is the first car that I have owned where they work the way I expect them to work. I love them and have had zero issues with them. Also my radio does hold volume and last setting when I get out and get back in.... Perhaps this is because I don't have comfort access?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #42
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

The rain sensing wipers absolutely suck in the 1er. This is the 1st car I've ever had with them and I wish it didn't have it. Rain will accumulate on the window and 75% of the time I have to push to wipe it......in WA it rains a good amount of the year so I have to deal with this a lot. I also get the occasional super crazy fast speed when it's hardly even raining but never when it's actually raining.....

The Nav sucks too, I will never get another car with one unless it's a standard feature and can't get around it. How can an address not be in my '12 135i and it's been there for 5+ years or not even take me to the place I need to go? I wish I could get my money back for the Nav system or just go back in time and tell myself not to get the Nav system.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #43
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

What about the Easy Entry lever at the top of the seat? I feel like I practically need to rip it off in order for it to engage.

Plus, it eliminated the seat belt holder. So, BMW designed an add-on that slips onto the headrest position. However, if you try to use the easy entry lever, it snaps off the holder.

Worst BMW designed accessory I ever bought - I took them off.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #44
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

I don't like that there is no indicator that the cruise control is on.
I don't like the wiper light being blocked by the steering wheel.
I don't like that the cupholders are too shallow to hold a full 20 oz drink without it being top-heavy and falling out in a turn.
I don't like there's no oil pressure gauge or temp gauge

So, all combined, I like the car about 99.3% because that's how importAnt this trivia is.