BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Last summer I ran the following wheels/tires:

F: 19"x8.5" et35 - 215/35/19
R: 19"x9.5" et45 - 235/30/19

The tires were Yokohama S.drives, so they had a pretty rounded shoulder (compared to the wide square shoulders on the PSS) were slightly stretched. I'm lowered on coilovers set to their max height, but still like an inch lower than stock. I had finally gotten my suspension and camber set up so that I would almost never rub, only against the inside fenders on the passenger side at high speeds on very big dips. Usually the front but on one huge dip at highway speed the rear did as well. Bumps were no problem.

I want to upgrade to PSS, but I don't want to rub. They aren't available in as many sizes as the yokos were, so I pretty much have one option for the front (10 mm wider) and 3 for the rear:

F: 225/35/19
R: 235/30/19 (same as before), 245/35/19, or 255/30/19

I am willing to do a moderate fender roll to accommodate the PSS (I don't want the fender paint to get that weird warped effect), but want to appeal to the wheel gurus on here who have had more experience. I have two basic questions..

1) I know the PSS have square shoulders and run wide. Considering I barely rubbed with those stretched sizes before, do you think the 10 mm wider, squarer PSS can be mounted with a light to moderate fender roll and the same minimal rub? I know if I was using the same, round shouldered tires, 10 mm wouldn't be a problem, but its the square shoulders that worry me.

2) What size for the rear? I know last years rear tires were a little more stretched than I'd normally like, so I'd hope to avoid stretching the michelins quite so much and upsize... So my options are basically 10 mm wider and 5 mm taller, or 20 mm wider and the same profile. What would be less likely to rub against the inside fender? Again, I'd be getting a light to moderate fender roll on all 4 corners.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I've been toying around with "bang for the buck" tires for too long. They're good and all, but with meth I just need the traction that the big kahuna PSS looks like it can give. I was also looking at star specs, but they seem to be more suited to autoX than street, are just as square (if not more), and don't last as long.

Once in a while someone also chimes in saying "get wheels that fit better" on one of these threads, so ill say now that I don't want to because a) I really like these wheels and they're discontinued b) the price I got them for was so good that even factoring in the money on fender rolls or even possible camber plates and they're still cheaper than something like VMRs, and c) I like the uniqueness

Thank you for looking
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
You sound like me, we get our tire/suspension sorted and then go and mess with it again..lol. My stance with my coilovers was perfect initially. Since I've changed tires a few times, had a few alignments and a corner balance, removed some rear weight, etc. Now my front fenders sit a couple of mm lower than my front tires whereas I guess my rear fender lip is 5-10 mm above my current tires.

First off, I'm shocked to hear that S-Drives came in a 235/30/19. I've only seen like one 245/30/19 and most tires don't even come in 255/30/19.

My rear 255/30/19 PSS's arrived at Discount Tire today for install tomorrow. Our wheels have similar specs (mine are listed in my sig) but it sounds like you've had more issues than I have had so maybe you are a little lower, a little less cambered (I'm right at 2deg camber each side front and rear), or maybe the tires you've used are just that different.

My front offset is 7 mm less aggressive than yours but I've had 225/35 Falkens and Nittos that basically did not rub unless I kinda went up a bump aggressively while turning. I'm not close to needing new fronts, but when I do I plan 225/35/19 PSS's. I bet it will rub about like my Toyo 235/30s did, which was tolerable.

I initially had some rear Hankooks 245/35s that rubbed even after my aggressive roll, mainly with passengers or over bumps at speed. I kinda pulled the fenders more where needed while I had those tires. Next I removed my rear seat and switched to 255/30 Toyos and I never rub in the rear now. Actually I have so much space that it kinda looks bad so I want a "bigger" tire anyways. I still bet the PSS's will rub. If they rub too much I'll add some camber and I'm due for a lightweight battery soon also.

Somehow my rear Toyos lasted 35k miles but I'm traction challenged even with my LSD, especially when my tires are cold.

I'm very excited to see what happens tomorrow.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
You sound like me, we get our tire/suspension sorted and then go and mess with it again..lol. My stance with my coilovers was perfect initially. Since I've changed tires a few times, had a few alignments and a corner balance, removed some rear weight, etc. Now my front fenders sit a couple of mm lower than my front tires whereas I guess my rear fender lip is 5-10 mm above my current tires.

First off, I'm shocked to hear that S-Drives came in a 235/30/19. I've only seen like one 245/30/19 and most tires don't even come in 255/30/19.

My rear 255/30/19 PSS's arrived at Discount Tire today for install tomorrow. Our wheels have similar specs (mine are listed in my sig) but it sounds like you've had more issues than I have had so maybe you are a little lower, a little less cambered (I'm right at 2deg camber each side front and rear), or maybe the tires you've used are just that different.

My front offset is 7 mm less aggressive than yours but I've had 225/35 Falkens and Nittos that basically did not rub unless I kinda went up a bump aggressively while turning. I'm not close to needing new fronts, but when I do I plan 225/35/19 PSS's. I bet it will rub about like my Toyo 235/30s did, which was tolerable.

I initially had some rear Hankooks 245/35s that rubbed even after my aggressive roll, mainly with passengers or over bumps at speed. I kinda pulled the fenders more where needed while I had those tires. Next I removed my rear seat and switched to 255/30 Toyos and I never rub in the rear now. Actually I have so much space that it kinda looks bad so I want a "bigger" tire anyways. I still bet the PSS's will rub. If they rub too much I'll add some camber and I'm due for a lightweight battery soon also.

Somehow my rear Toyos lasted 35k miles but I'm traction challenged even with my LSD, especially when my tires are cold.

I'm very excited to see what happens tomorrow.
Hahaha yes! We must be twins separated at birth, since most people would wanna STOP messing around once they found something that finally works. The grip on the PSS is just too tempting to pass up, though!

I'm honestly not sure where the yokos came from. I bought the wheels and tires as a set, already mounted and balanced. To make them work for our 1ers we definitely have to go looking for all the weird tire sizes. I'm honestly more surprised the PSS come in that size, though! I wish they came in 245/30 though so I don't have this dilemma with the 245/35 vs 255/30, but considering you have the same spec wheel in back and making things work, I'm hopeful as well. I am running about -1.8/1.9 degrees camber all around at this point, so that's also close to you.

That's interesting your falkens and nittos didn't rub. In my head, the yokos should run thinner like they do, but maybe that's not the case. Then again your offset is just a bit "better" and I barely rub so that 7mm might make all the difference in the world haha.

BUT I really wanna hear your impressions on the mixed tires. I was thinking of throwing in kumho ecsta LE's in front in the 215 size while upgrading the back to PSS, but I don't want the handling to turn to shit or become unpredictable. I usually don't go crazy on public roads, but the area I live in has some windy backwoods roads that I let loose on sometimes when coming home later at night, and I just don't want to be riding on an accident waiting to happen if the kumhos can break free much earlier than the PSS, even if they're both "max performance". Also, obviously please let me know how the PSS in back work out in that size! I am very close to ordering but it's still a little cold up north so I have a couple of weeks before the summer wheels go on.

I'm not in a position where I can remove the rear seats, and I got a meth tank and pump weighing me down slightly as well in back, but if I can get PSS that rub very minimally back there, I think I would be finally set!

Please let me know and good luck! I'm excited for you!

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Bad news, don't try it! I would not recommend anyone with et 45 rear wheels on a One series to try 255 width Michelin PSS's. I'm sure even et50 would rub, especially if the wheels are wider than 9.0 inches or if the suspension is lowered.

I would also assume that most all offsets will rub a little in the front with 225 PSS's if the suspension has been lowered. That might be a harder issue for me to fix than my rear rub and amazingly I really did not rub in the front with 235 Toyos.

I figured I'd have a slight rub but it is much worse than that. I'm not just rubbing the inner liner as I had in the past, these tires rub my fenders at both the front and rear transition areas over bumps. I doubt I'll ever be able to get rid of all the rubbing. I swear they are very close to as wide as a 275 Toyo, Falken, or Nitto.

I also guess that's why the traction is so good, wider tires give better traction..lol. Also it's good that now I won't have to worry much about curbing my wheels, these tires run so full that I get pretty good tire protection.

I was able to drive my car home and I rubbed 4 times but I'm not gonna drive it more until I do some work. I plan to try to heat and pull my fenders some more and get a lightweight battery first. I assume I'll still add some camber after that. I bet I'll be able to make PSS's work front and rear but I'll probably have to raise my suspension some and add some camber.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Bad news, don't try it! I would not recommend anyone with et 45 rear wheels on a One series to try 255 width Michelin PSS's. I'm sure even et50 would rub, especially if the wheels are wider than 9.0 inches or if the suspension is lowered.

I would also assume that most all offsets will rub a little in the front with 225 PSS's if the suspension has been lowered. That might be a harder issue for me to fix than my rear rub and amazingly I really did not rub in the front with 235 Toyos.

I figured I'd have a slight rub but it is much worse than that. I'm not just rubbing the inner liner as I had in the past, these tires rub my fenders at both the front and rear transition areas over bumps. I doubt I'll ever be able to get rid of all the rubbing. I swear they are very close to as wide as a 275 Toyo, Falken, or Nitto.

I also guess that's why the traction is so good, wider tires give better traction..lol. Also it's good that now I won't have to worry much about curbing my wheels, these tires run so full that I get pretty good tire protection.

I was able to drive my car home and I rubbed 4 times but I'm not gonna drive it more until I do some work. I plan to try to heat and pull my fenders some more and get a lightweight battery first. I assume I'll still add some camber after that. I bet I'll be able to make PSS's work front and rear but I'll probably have to raise my suspension some and add some camber.
Nooooooooo!!!!

This is helpful for me though. On E46fanatics many guys run 235/30/19 on 9.5" rears, and I did too without too much stretch, so I'm thinking I'll try out that size in the PSS and stretch it out a bit. From what you're saying, the 235 PSS will be like a 245 or 255 in any other wheel. That fatass sidewall is seriously killing me!

This is a 235 on a 19x9.5 but its Toyos. It's pretty much what my s.drives looked like, and its definitely not that crazy of a stretch. So I ill definitely get that size in PSS...

I'm hoping that will work for the rear, but now I'm worried about the front. If the 225 PSS is about the same as the 235 toyo it should be fine, but if 225 on the PSS ends up equalling 245 or more on any other tire, I might need more than a roll in front. Ugh. 225 is as small as PSS will go for a 19" wheel. I guess I'll have to experiment and hope I can roll the front fenders enough to accommodate what will likely be a 20 mm wider tire instead of the 10 mm difference I was expecting.

I understand the big sidewall helps with stability, but now I'm thinking that's kind of obnoxious if it makes a 255 tire actually be as wide as a 275. Just brand it a damn 275.

Keep me updated man! This is really helping me, and you definitely saved me from making a mistake with anything but 235 in back with these fat tires. I feel bad that you have to go through this crap, though!

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I hate it too but I was kind of stuck with this being the best option to try anyways.

My 255/30/19 Toyo T1Rs worked well but I still had so much room and I wanted more width so I was gonna try 265/30/19 if I stuck with them or with the Nitto N555s that I have on my fronts now.

I really couldn't find any other tires that I wanted to try in the widths that I needed. I was just hoping PSS's did not run THAT big. I see a few guys running ARC wheels which have great rear offsets talking about their fronts thinking they can go 235 or even 245. I don't think they'll get it to work. I think 225 is gonna be tough in the front. But I have to get my back worked out first anyways.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure a 235/35 PSS on the rear would have worked pretty well. I'm not sure that it would look any more stretched than my 255 Toyos and I wouldn't have had such a big gap above the top of my tires. 245/35 would be just as hard to get to fit as 255/30.

I should have taken some before and after pics, but to me it's always hard to really see how things like that look in pictures.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I hate it too but I was kind of stuck with this being the best option to try anyways.

My 255/30/19 Toyo T1Rs worked well but I still had so much room and I wanted more width so I was gonna try 265/30/19 if I stuck with them or with the Nitto N555s that I have on my fronts now.

I really couldn't find any other tires that I wanted to try in the widths that I needed. I was just hoping PSS's did not run THAT big. I see a few guys running ARC wheels which have great rear offsets talking about their fronts thinking they can go 235 or even 245. I don't think they'll get it to work. I think 225 is gonna be tough in the front. But I have to get my back worked out first anyways.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure a 235/35 PSS on the rear would have worked pretty well. I'm not sure that it would look any more stretched than my 255 Toyos and I wouldn't have had such a big gap above the top of my tires. 245/35 would be just as hard to get to fit as 255/30.

I should have taken some before and after pics, but to me it's always hard to really see how things like that look in pictures.
That's so crazy that you had plenty of room with 255 Toyos but you get the same size PSS and its such a difference. I knew the PSS run large but I would have never guessed that they're that huge. No wonder people are apparently rubbing with 255 on stock 18" wheels and suspension.

The arc-8 wheels definitely have a better offset, but they're 18" so that gives some extra clearance, but people who are lowered will definitely have some issues with 235 PSS up front without camber plates. I think 19" is perfect for this car, 18" was nice but just a little too small for my tastes. It just sucks that our offsets are so bad and our wheel wells and fenders leave no room for the fat wheels we need to get the massive torque our cars make down without losing traction. We can easily put down more ft lbs than a vette, yet here we are struggling with anything over 9" wide and vettes have those fat rear wheels. We need the stickiness of the PSS since we can't go wider for more traction, and of course the PSS is annoyingly wide anyway.

I guess I'll just go with 235 for the back. You've experimented enough with the back, and now it's my turn to experiment with the front haha. Thank you for the advice on the 235's. if you think they'll be the equivalent of a 255/30 toyo, I should be good with rolled fenders I'm back. You've definitely saved me a lot of headache.

Now, I got another question. For the front, on the passenger side, there's some plastic grating in front that covers the oil cooler. I took mine off to provide some more clearance just in case. I'm worried that the PSS will be not just wider but taller than advertised and ill have trouble with that area and the tire being too tall. Did you find the PSS to be taller than advertised too, or just much wider?

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I would not say that PSS's run tall. It's just obvious looking at them that they tried to make them bulge out at the wheel lip so they'd protect the wheels. They are somewhat squared on the top, but mostly they just really bulge on the side. I may not need new fronts for a year or more but I'm definitely gonna raise my front suspension before I try PSS's on the front.

I really don't have a cosmetic preference for 18s or 19s on our cars. I was looking for lightweight and another 1addict member had fit my Volks on his very lowered car and was selling them to go back to stock for possible trade-in.

For sure we have tons of torque to try to put down, especially on cold tires. My LSD helps tons but I still spin pretty horribly, especially with my worn out rear tires this winter. I'm betting new PSS's combined with warming weather will get me back to where I'll rarely have to mess with the traction control button, if I can get them to not scrub so I can use them...lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I would not say that PSS's run tall. It's just obvious looking at them that they tried to make them bulge out at the wheel lip so they'd protect the wheels. They are somewhat squared on the top, but mostly they just really bulge on the side. I may not need new fronts for a year or more but I'm definitely gonna raise my front suspension before I try PSS's on the front.

I really don't have a cosmetic preference for 18s or 19s on our cars. I was looking for lightweight and another 1addict member had fit my Volks on his very lowered car and was selling them to go back to stock for possible trade-in.

For sure we have tons of torque to try to put down, especially on cold tires. My LSD helps tons but I still spin pretty horribly, especially with my worn out rear tires this winter. I'm betting new PSS's combined with warming weather will get me back to where I'll rarely have to mess with the traction control button, if I can get them to not scrub so I can use them...lol.

That's good to know that they don't run tall, at least. Hopefully there will be enough room so they don't rub on the inside of the wheel well or anything. Have you pushed the car at all on the mixed tires? If the 225 PSS don't work out in front, I might just have to use a different tire up front, which wouldn't be ideal. Does it make the handling weird at all?

We're both just looking for the same damn thing... TRACTION! I'm jealous of your LSD, but it sounds like without the proper tires it's not even helping much!

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I guess I don't drive my One hard enough or something but I've had two sets of mismatched tires and barely noticed it. Plus with this set my fronts were new when I already had 25k miles on my rears. Also the Toyo and Nitto models I was using were fairly similar. When I bought my wheels they had used Falken fronts and Hankook rears.

To me, the One just pushes and rolls going into a turn then spins the inside tire coming out. Mismatched tires don't really hurt or help that much. But I'm biased, my main other car is a Porsche 968 which to some people is one of the best handling cars ever.

The LSD doesn't nearly help enough to make summer tires work when they are worn out and when the weather is cold. However when I installed it about the same time I got new tires it was amazing how much difference there was. I had gotten used to what it took to break traction on my prior setup and then with the upgrade I think I went like a month before I ever got my first traction control light! For sure now when I spin I don't instantly get traction control interference, and barely at all if I hit the DTC button once and I'm not cornering.

I think some of the guys on the other thread are gonna try big PSS widths on their fronts very soon. Just give it a few more weeks and you might have a better idea there too..lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
KEI7
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: E61

Wow this thread is a two men conversation lol.
But interesting to read, with so much info...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I guess I don't drive my One hard enough or something but I've had two sets of mismatched tires and barely noticed it. Plus with this set my fronts were new when I already had 25k miles on my rears. Also the Toyo and Nitto models I was using were fairly similar. When I bought my wheels they had used Falken fronts and Hankook rears.

To me, the One just pushes and rolls going into a turn then spins the inside tire coming out. Mismatched tires don't really hurt or help that much. But I'm biased, my main other car is a Porsche 968 which to some people is one of the best handling cars ever.

The LSD doesn't nearly help enough to make summer tires work when they are worn out and when the weather is cold. However when I installed it about the same time I got new tires it was amazing how much difference there was. I had gotten used to what it took to break traction on my prior setup and then with the upgrade I think I went like a month before I ever got my first traction control light! For sure now when I spin I don't instantly get traction control interference, and barely at all if I hit the DTC button once and I'm not cornering.

I think some of the guys on the other thread are gonna try big PSS widths on their fronts very soon. Just give it a few more weeks and you might have a better idea there too..lol.
Hmm that's interesting. I hope it never comes to that, but it's good to know mismatched tires aren't THAT bad if you're not pushing it too much. I'm just worried I'll never get the 225 to fit up front.

But you're right, I can wait for some other people to try to it bigger PSS and see how that works out and compare. Considering it's snowing again up north, I think I'll have some time to sort this stuff out.

That LSD sounds so nice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEI7 View Post
Wow this thread is a two men conversation lol.
But interesting to read, with so much info...
Haha, well anyone else who has any ideas about my situation is welcome to chime in! Glad the info is helping other people, though. Hate how annoying it is to fit anything good in terms of wheels/tires on our cars.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Well, I'm ordering 225/35/19 f and 245/35/19 rear. I've been thinking and I'd rather have to roll the fender a bit more or get some camber plates rather than go with the super stretched 235 again. We will see what happens....

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #14
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Congrats, I'm sure we'll appreciate the great tires and the extra rubber once we get everything working!

A few with similar setups (especially some of the CS7 custom order guys) have made it work, although alot depends on how low the suspension sits. I have no idea if my coils can go higher, I assume they will if need be.

245/35 will be very similar to get to fit to 255/30. Some would prefer the 35 profile to help avoid wheel damage on potholes, etc. Actually I found out I had a wheel ding that even made the tires hard to see on my install.

I still haven't worked or drove mine. We had a cold front come through and I guess I'm still trying to figure out the easiest way to do it. I figure that I'll drop by Butler Tireand see if they can add around a degree of rear camber. While I have it at a shop I think I'll get them to raise my front suspension to a tad above my current front tires to balance out my gaps better and get ready for when I go to PSS fronts.

I need to go ahead and order a lightweight battery kit. I also plan to park one wheel on a big bump to exactly locate where I'm rubbing and then heat up my fender and bend on it some more. I don't plan to get another alignment/corner balance until I get everything working both front and rear.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Haha yeah, I don't think I've ever seen annoying disappointed with these except for the fitment and rubbing issues! Can't wait for the weather to warm up a bit so I can get these on. Gotta get the fenders rolled first, though haha.

If I coulda gotten 245/30 in PSS I would have. I just don't know how they respond to stretch, and even though I'd rather not have a taller tire in back, I've been looking at old pictures with the yokohamas and there is definitely some room for a taller tire, it was the width that concerned me. That's as long as I roll the fender to get it out of the way... I'm raised as high as it gets, so that's not an option. You're lucky you have that p-car to drive around while you figure out the kinks of the PSS. As of now I don't have another car, so if it rubs horribly I'm going to have to suck it up :P And I seriously hope I don't have to resort to a lightweight battery just to get the tires to work. Time will tell I guess haha

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #16
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Got a chance to put it on a curb and look at it today. I knew it would be rubbing at that rear junction between the fender and the bumper. You can't roll that area and it doesn't seem to want to stay bent out. I'll work on it some more when I have more time.

I took my spare tire and jack out and combined with the 10 mins of bending I did today I probably won't rub much now. I still plan a little camber and a lightweight battery.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #17
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Got a chance to put it on a curb and look at it today. I knew it would be rubbing at that rear junction between the fender and the bumper. You can't roll that area and it doesn't seem to want to stay bent out. I'll work on it some more when I have more time.

I took my spare tire and jack out and combined with the 10 mins of bending I did today I probably won't rub much now. I still plan a little camber and a lightweight battery.
Well that's definitely some hopeful (for me) news! My tires just arrived today and damn you're right they look fat. The 245's look like 255 or 265 for sure.

But that's good to know that with 10 minutes of work you got them to fit a little better. I'm just worried now that you mention an area you can't roll? I think I remember hearing a while ago that either the fronts or the rears you can't roll on the 1er, but I've seen lots of people say they have all four corners rolled so I never thought much of it. Hopefully that won't be any problem.

BUT I JUST REMEMBERED.. I have a carbon fiber trunk. How the hell did I forget until now? Maybe that will help with the weight situation in back. The battery is also 5 years old at this point, so I may get a braille one or something too. Just annoying that the meth tank (when full) + pump is like 20 extra pounds back there.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #18
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Update time!

Today I mounted the PSS on the wheels, and the wheels on the car. I had the fenders rolled by forum member HyperM3 (a short review on his awesome job will be coming up). Didn't change the ride height on the coilovers at all switching from the winter wheels.

I haven't had an opportunity to drive on these tires yet because today it's actually 45 damn degrees and soaking wet out, even though this weekend it's supposed to get sunny and 60+. Two days ago it was 88, and I was ruining my snow tires driving like that. Damn weather. Oh well, tomorrow seems like a nice day for a car wash and some testing of the tires.

Here are some pics of the set up as it is now. Not the best quality, I know, but they're from my cell and it was starting to get dark out:

Front tire mounted:

(I'm also aware there are two rivets missing. Gonna glue them in later this weekend)

Rear tire mounted:

I'm pretty happy with how the tires look mounted on the wheels. They don't look very stretched at all, and the sidewall is very near vertical. Definitely not as badly stretched (looks-wise) as the Yokohamas that were on last summer. The PSS really have some beefy, chunky sidewalls, even though they're not quite THAT square... they're just fat.

Front wheel mounted:

Rear wheel mounted:

There's a bit of room for travel, but I still have the feeling I'll still rub on big dips like I did last year based on the size of the fender gaps and the slight poke. Hopefully it won't be too bad. The fender roll will probably save me some headache in back, though. I can tell that even if the spring compresses and it rubs, it'll just hit the felt lining and not any metal so that's not even an issue for me. The front is what I'm more worried about, but I guess time will tell. Tires are 225/35 and 245/35, upsizing from 215/35 and 235/30. I'll give another update once I've had a chance to see just how serious the rubbing situation is. Thanks for looking!

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Yea the front rubs. Manageable but not ideal with just me in the car. Near undriveable with me and a passenger. Gonna pull the fenders. Maybe I'll do them slightly using the phone book method.

Update: So I just pulled the fenders. I made a DIY here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...php?p=13820193

Going to drive around for a bit and see if it's any better.

Last edited by 1speedbike; 04-14-2013 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #20
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Another update if anyone's interested. Drove around for a while after doing the fender pull earlier today (DIY above). It's MUCH MUCH better. Before I was bracing myself and cringing at pretty much every little bump and dip. Now, with just a light pull, I can actually drive pretty aggressively and not worry so much about rubbing all the time and shredding up the front tires. There are still times I rub.. bigger dips, bumps and stuff while the wheels are turned, but I am confident with just a little more time and pulling, this setup can fit very well with no real problems. No paint cracks, either!

Anyone else running 19" PSS on a lowered car? Other than Eyeman and me, I haven't seen anyone else on this forum with a lowered car on 19" PSS. Everyone with PSS has 18" sizes if lowered at all, and everyone lowered with 19" wheels has stretched Toyos/Falkens/etc. Is this a first?

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #21
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
19" vs 18" should not make much difference. For sure I don't think anyone has et35 fronts with 255 PSS's. To get our cars to work on the bumps and compression of a track we'd have to add more camber. As long as we keep our suspensions high enough, I think we'll be able to make it work fine for daily driving. Especially as long as that daily driving does not involve hauling heavy passengers..lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 04:02 AM   #22
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

+1 regarding the difference between 18 and 19" wheels. If you keep the rolling diameter the same it should not make a single bit of difference to the overall dimensions if you're keeping the same widths (well, there is, but we're talking 1-2mm)