BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #23
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

That's true. I'm dumb. Of course the rolling diameter has to be the same or else the speedo/odo would be off!

I'm raised to close to max on my coils. Still well below stock height, though.

Some more ideas for minimizing rub - camber plates (duh). pulling alignment pins (already done). M3 parts (already done).

Another idea is using linear springs. Since my coils have progressive springs, the initial spring rate is very soft and they compress a lot more than a linear spring would at first. By doing HPA's swift spring conversion for the coilovers, I could probably stop rubbing on dips because the spring won't compress as much.

I played around with it more today, and I am confident to say that with some pretty intense pulling, I am almost back to where I was last summer in terms of rubbing. It only happens on bigger dips, during hard turns over a bump, or with a lot of weight in the car. That's a little worse than last summer, but my work isn't done haha. No paint damage or anything using my ghetto fender pull method, and the lines don't look half bad. I'll keep playing around with it!

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #24
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Exactly which PSS are those. I'm looking in Tirerack but there are 4 PSS models.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #25
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post
Exactly which PSS are those. I'm looking in Tirerack but there are 4 PSS models.
They're the XL rated PSS. the 225's are 88Y rated, and the 245's are 93Y rated. 300 AA A all around.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #26
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

My fitment with MPSS tires:

18x8 ET45 with 235/40/18 up front without rubbing
18x9 ET48 with 265/35/18 in the rear with light to moderate rubbing on the joint between the rear fender and the bumper. A 4mm roll on either side eliminated 98% of the rub. A 255/35/18 would fit perfect.

Stock height 2010 MSport 135i.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #27
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
How are you guys rubbing issues now? As I posted on a different topic, I finally got around to taking my car in to have some rear camber added. They were able to add more than I want (1.3 deg more to each side) but I left it set that way so I can see how that effects the rubbing while I do some other work.

It's been cool here for this time of year but once it warms up I plan to pull my fenders some more both front and rear. Btw I do have a heat gun, I mainly mean I like to work on my car when it's warm outside, and of course that will help warm the paint also. I've been busy at work so I also have not had time to install my lightweight battery.

Once I get those things done I'll decide if and how much I need to raise my rear coilovers. I'll have to factor in that I also plan to drop the rear camber back around 0.5deg less cambered. Then I'm also gonna raise my front coilovers to keep the front vs rear gaps even. Then I'll get another alignment, reduce the rear camber a little and try to get my toe set very close to zero. Then hopefully when I go to front PSS's they'll fit without any more work.

This tire fitting with aggressive wheels, lowered suspensions, and trying to run decent tires is a pain!
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #28
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Hey sorry for the lack of updates!

I'm almost not rubbing at all now. I did some pretty heavy pulling, but it doesn't look bad at all and I got the few mm of clearance i really needed. It doesn't rub at all now except when I have a passenger, a full gas tank, and I'm going pretty damn fast.

It's way easier to pull the fenders in the sun. Even with the heat gun, if it's cold and shaded the paint cools pretty fast, but with a black car and the sun out, you almost don't even need the heat gun! The guy that rolled my fenders did so without a heat gun on a sunny 88 degree day and that was enough to keep the paint malleable, but I'm not that brave. The pulling is barely noticeable unless you're up close and know what to look for, so I think it's the way to go as long as you're careful!

It seems like you got a bit of work left to do, but I'm at a point where I'm finally happy with how everything is. I feel comfortable actually driving now, and don't feel like I have to baby the car just to keep from hitting anything. I'll take some pictures of how the gap and everything looks when I get a chance.

It really IS a pain, man. Seriously. I hope you get everything sorted out with your car as well, though! I think the PSS are totally worth it once everything finally fits right!

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #29
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Also, just made this... true story!

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #30
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I now have my rear 255 PSS's only lightly rubbing about once per daily driving trip. I still haven't repulled my fenders much. I did install my Braille and that did help with rubbing and it also helped with the general bouncy rear suspension issue. Btw that's alot of rear weight that I have dropped by switching to a Braille, using a much lighter axleback, and removing my rear seat. I'd guess that adds up to slightly over 100 lbs.

I plan to "pull the pins" on my front coils and do some more rear fender pulling sometime this week now that our weather has warmed up. I can't say for sure that the new PSS's give me more traction than my Toyos did when new. I still spin pretty bad but I'm sure some would say that's because I've dropped so much rear weight or it might be the extra camber. Actually what I really like best is how much better it looks to not have stretched rear tires.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0