BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
atiened1
Atiened1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Jet Black

Angry Bad experience - STS Tires Ridgewood - Wheel damage

So I went to STS Tires in Ridgewood today to get a plug/patch for my RFT that has a nail in it. About 45 min later after they finish, I look at the wheel and immediately noticed they gashed it at several areas, with one area especially being badly damaged. All 4 wheels are only about a year old and do not have any curb rash, gashes, or marks on any of them before this. Now one of them looks pretty bad.

Anyone else have bad experiences getting their RFTs taken off the wheel by a tire shop? Anyone think this is fixable just from the picture?

I was told to bring it in the next day for the manager to see, so we will see what they plan on doing about this. The person at the register didn't really know what to do and just said talk to the manager when he gets in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

The place the changed my tires out uses a 'touchless' wheel machine - so this cannot happen.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

This is caused by a moron who didnt know how tuff run flats are to take off vs a standard tire, or he did know and thought he could wing it.

Run lfat tires are MUCH harder to remove and most shops wont touch them due to this reason. this shop is 100% reponsible for this and owes you new wheels for the damage.

Also, you can not simply "patch" a run flat. it dosnt work like a regualr tire and is VERY dangerous if you leave it patched. get a new tire(s) and next time have BMW do it if all else fails.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
Also, you can not simply "patch" a run flat. it dosnt work like a regualr tire and is VERY dangerous if you leave it patched. get a new tire(s) and next time have BMW do it if all else fails.

I thought I read in the Roundel that Bridgestone (at least) says you can patch their run flats. A quick google turned up this:

------------------
Bridgestone and BMW both agree that these runflat tires can be repaired
as long as they meet specific criteria and the repair is performed
properly.

A proper repair requires the dealer/tire shop to remove the tire from
the wheel to perform an inspection inside and out. Then the repair must
consist of both a plug to fill the hole, preventing water and other
debris from getting into the tire, and a patch on the inside to reseal
the air chamber. If your repair was done in this manner, the tire
should perform acceptably within posted speed limits.

Bill VandeWater
Director, Consumer Products
Sales Engineering
Bridgestone Firestone North American Tire
------------------

I don't have run flats anymore, but I'm sure there is more definitive information out there.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
atiened1
Atiened1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Jet Black

I should've done research on tire removal before going to the shop. I looked at the mechanic as he was removing the tire from the wheel and he was prying it out by shoving a tool to separate the tire from the wheel. I did not know better at the time, so thought nothing of it. Damaged rims is the last thing I expected since I thought STS Tires was a reputable shop.

But after some quick research online now, he should not have been doing that and should've instead used a machine that protects the wheel while removing the tire, which he quite obviously did not do.

Im going back tomorrow morning to speak with the manager, so I will see if STS Tires will repair the damage they caused, or if they do not care about customers and make up an excuse.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
I thought I read in the Roundel that Bridgestone (at least) says you can patch their run flats. A quick google turned up this:

------------------
Bridgestone and BMW both agree that these runflat tires can be repaired
as long as they meet specific criteria and the repair is performed
properly.

A proper repair requires the dealer/tire shop to remove the tire from
the wheel to perform an inspection inside and out. Then the repair must
consist of both a plug to fill the hole, preventing water and other
debris from getting into the tire, and a patch on the inside to reseal
the air chamber. If your repair was done in this manner, the tire
should perform acceptably within posted speed limits.

Bill VandeWater
Director, Consumer Products
Sales Engineering
Bridgestone Firestone North American Tire
------------------

I don't have run flats anymore, but I'm sure there is more definitive information out there.
I got a tapcon screw in my bridgestone and followed this procedure. held air for a few days and slowly went flat again. the walls eventually (after only 2 weeks) started to buckle and the tires were all replaced with continental tires for a little over the cost of 1 runflat tire. While it can be done, with some success, it is still not a safe thing to do and the integrity of the tire, and my safety, is just not worth the patching.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atiened1 View Post
I should've done research on tire removal before going to the shop. I looked at the mechanic as he was removing the tire from the wheel and he was prying it out by shoving a tool to separate the tire from the wheel. I did not know better at the time, so thought nothing of it. Damaged rims is the last thing I expected since I thought STS Tires was a reputable shop.

But after some quick research online now, he should not have been doing that and should've instead used a machine that protects the wheel while removing the tire, which he quite obviously did not do.

Im going back tomorrow morning to speak with the manager, so I will see if STS Tires will repair the damage they caused, or if they do not care about customers and make up an excuse.
The reason he did not is because the run flat tires are notorious for breaking them and it probably did break it. so he instead grabbed the prybar and "showed that tire whos boss"...

Talk to the manager, call the guy an idiot, demand a NEW RIM. accept nothing less.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

I've always had a good relationship with them in Mahwah and Ramsey, so I'd be surprised if they didn't work out things to your happiness. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
EFI Logics
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 135i, 08 535Xi

The RFT tires are a little bit more challenging to mount and unmount, but it's certainly not impossible to do without damaging the wheel. You just have to be careful and take your time. Sorry to hear about your wheels...

-Josh
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
You can patch a puncture in the tread on a runcrap, but if you've driven on a flat runcrap you've destroyed the tire.