BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
bazil769
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128I Convertible 02/09

Headlight Question (newbie)

Do i even have a ring? I wanted to upgrade my lights and after reading a few threads on this forum about led lighting i decided to go with the Lux V3. This is my headlight i dont see any rings at night when it lights up just wanted to know what type of headlight i have and whether the lux will make the outer ring light up instead of just the middle?

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

I'll preface this by saying I know next to nothing about E8x halogen headlights. But I don't think they have the corona rings. Lux or any other options won't work with that setup, at least I don't think they will. If they don't have the rings, you'd need to retrofit new xenon headlights in, which could cost well over $1k new. Not worth it IMO.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
bazil769
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks 135Pats
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

ya you have stock halogens. No rings.

You could either:

Try to open up your headlights(very hard and will probably break or leak) and install custom LED coronas. (picture taken from Satalite) Nobody that I know of has done this yet.

Or you could buy OEM 135i Xenon headlights(around $1,500).

Or, the cheapest option would be to buy DEPO headlights such as these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-08-12-B...6304d3&vxp=mtr

01-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
bazil769
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wow!Thank you so much for making that so clear to me. With the eBay Depo's are they just plug? and play do i have to do any coding? Will i get any errors? How bright are these xenon's vs the Lux V3? Are my halo's adaptive? i have put them on the adaptive setting #3 and moved my steering wheel but my light does not move, i can only see it pointed to the passenger side when i drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

definitely go for the depos as they're not that expensive and the install is pretty straightforward.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

I don't think it's possible for halogen to be adaptive, the bulb doesn't move at all, and the light pattern is diffuse to a point where it wouldn't really be useful. I want to say the Depos are plug and play, but i'm just not certain. Do a bit of searching, I know there are some folks on the forum who have swapped for Depos. Pretty decent quality I think. Cracking open E8x headlights is not easy, def not a DIY unless you are good with electronics/fuses and extremely confident in your ability to re-seal the headlight.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

This thread will have all your answers regarding Depo and their headlights. To answer your question in short, yes the Depo's are bolt on and plug and play. Angel eyes will not light up as Day time running lights without coding. They will light up with the Parking lights on and with the headlights on.

Check out these Depos!!
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...445791&page=16
      01-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil769 View Post
Wow!Thank you so much for making that so clear to me. With the eBay Depo's are they just plug? and play do i have to do any coding? Will i get any errors? How bright are these xenon's vs the Lux V3? Are my halo's adaptive? i have put them on the adaptive setting #3 and moved my steering wheel but my light does not move, i can only see it pointed to the passenger side when i drive.
So depos are a bit confusing, let me explain.

Depos by default come with halogen low-beam lighting(at that low price). However, the depos do support HID low lights as they have the housing for it. Normally, its around $150 more if you want to upgrade to HIDs.

Depos with just halogen are 100% plug and play. Depos with the HID are "plug and play" but it has mostly been a hit or miss. Most sellers sell a module that get rid of any error codes. It mostly depends on who you buy from, the type of HID, and your car.

Next, i believe the LUX V3 are not low/high beam lights. LUX V3 are only for the angel eyes. I know on the original depos(V1) they had 4 seperate bulbs for angel eyes that people have changed for white LED versions that are brighter. The depo that I linked above are V2, a newer version, that supposedly already has white LED angel eyes(the ones on V1 were yellow and dull).

But, nobody has bought the V2 as they just came out so I cannot say how bright they are.

Your car has no halos, and no adaptive lighting. The depos are not adaptive in the sense that when you turn the light turns with them. I believe at this time only the OEM BMW xenons do.

If you go to the cosmetic section of the forums and search depos, you will find there are many long threads that discuss this in more detail. 631twentyeighteye beat me above ^_^
      01-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes all correct and to clarify, we NEED the error cancelling module, i have it on both my foglight HID harness and my headlights harness and neither cause check engine lights or any issues.
      01-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
bazil769
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Greatly appreciated Greenkirby21 & 631twentyeighteye. Greenkirby21 i was just checking out that thread when you suggested it, from what i see about the Depos v2's on EBAY is that the seller states that these headlights do not come with the bulb's (Note: Signal Light uses PY21W = 7507 Bulbs, bulbs are not included.). I wouldn't know which bulb to use whether LED Bulb, or halogen ? also i see that the inner housing is black and that the corner lamp is white do i have to get blub's for the corner lamps? or do the Depos come with them. Also from reading that other thread about the depos i realized that members were not happy that the V1's had uneven lighting in the ring which i see is addressed in the v2's which should make them perfect.

When you say my car does not have adaptive i understand that the lights are not moving like human eyes when i move my steering wheel like the bi xenon's but aren't they adaptive in the sense that the daytime running, fogs, and headlights come on based on the time of day and weather conditions? When i turn the knob on adaptive?

Last edited by bazil769; 01-30-2013 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
bazil769
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

631twentyeighteye which is better? Depo ANGEL PROJECTOR CLEAR HEADLIGHTS or ANGEL HALO PROJECTOR HEADLIGHT + XENON HID
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil769
631twentyeighteye which is better? Depo ANGEL PROJECTOR CLEAR HEADLIGHTS or ANGEL HALO PROJECTOR HEADLIGHT + XENON HID
The latter.

Yes I know my name is gray_panther and not 631balbalbal
      01-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes the latter as Gray panther already said. I bought mine on ebay(version 1) with all the bulbs, ballast and everything already plugged and set up.
      01-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #15
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Is that HID set any good that comes with those DEPOs?
      01-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #16
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Greatly appreciated Greenkirby21 & 631twentyeighteye. Greenkirby21 i was just checking out that thread when you suggested it, from what i see about the Depos v2's on EBAY is that the seller states that these headlights do not come with the bulb's (Note: Signal Light uses PY21W = 7507 Bulbs, bulbs are not included.). I wouldn't know which bulb to use whether LED Bulb, or halogen ? also i see that the inner housing is black and that the corner lamp is white do i have to get blub's for the corner lamps? or do the Depos come with them. Also from reading that other thread about the depos i realized that members were not happy that the V1's had uneven lighting in the ring which i see is addressed in the v2's which should make them perfect.

When you say my car does not have adaptive i understand that the lights are not moving like human eyes when i move my steering wheel like the bi xenon's but aren't they adaptive in the sense that the daytime running, fogs, and headlights come on based on the time of day and weather conditions? When i turn the knob on adaptive?
o okay, sorry for confusing you.

I believe that the bulbs that they do not provide (such as the turn signal bulb or high beams) you can just directly swap over from your OEM headlight bulbs. You could certainly buy your own (either LED or halogen) as long as they are the correct color(for legal reasons) and size. I believe others have replaced them with brighter LEDs(which you can find on ebay, you just need to find out what type they are).

The corner lamp is white, but the bulb itself must emit orange light just like your OEM for legal reasons I believe. The bulb itself is the exact same.

For adaptive, it SHOULD still work, but I don't have depos so I can't confirm it. All of this is just from what I have read/seen. I believe the ambient light sensor is located on the car itself, I think on the back side of the rear view mirror. The sensor is NOT on the headlights. Basically, when the sensor senses it is dark, it will turn on the correct lighting of the headlights and also turn on the interior gauge. So, you should still be fine such that if you place it in auto.

The only issue with putting the headlight on auto is that both your DRL and angel eyes will be on(which some people don't like as the DRL cuts out the angel eyes).

There are two options of fixing this(as stated above). You can either code it so that DRL becomes the angel eyes, or, you can just flip the switch into parking mode when you are driving during the day. That will just turn on just the angel eyes. The downside of that is that its no longer auto so when its dark you will have to hit the switch again.
      01-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #17
bazil769
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you Greenkirby21 if i flip the switch into parking mode when im driving during the day wouldn't that mean that my corner lights will be on with my angel eyes? And if i code it then when i have the knob set on "0" which is my daytime i would have just my angel eyes on right? without the corner lights.
Appreciate 0