BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

Last Service Appointment under Maintenance Plan

Saw a thread about the first service. Thought I would share my experience with the last scheduled appointment.

I have low mileage on my 08 135 (13,000mi) so at first they didn't want to do a oil change but eventually relented. The SA indicated they would do the brake fluid change and replace the microfilter. I asked about changing the engine filter (I don't think it had ever been changed). They indicated they would check on it. When I picked up the car the SA indicated the filter was fine. My response was fine or not it is supposed to be changed at least every 3rd oil change according to BMW's maint manual. The SA indicated he would check with the technician and give me a call later. The SA called back and indicated my car only had one air filter, and that the cabin and engine air filter were one and the same.

After that call I checked the air filter and it wasn't too bad, but there were a couple bugs and leaves underneath the filter. So, if they checked the filter they didn't bother to clean the filter box out. I called the SA
and left a message about how poor the service was and by the way there are separate cabin (micro filter) and engine air filters on the 135. The service manager called me back and said my car wasn't due an air filter change but he would call BMWNA to se if they would authorize it. He called back later to indicate they would. Really a lot of time and angst over an air filter.
      08-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Wow that is just horrible service. I got my oil changed early since my mileage was low but my SA indicator that it would have to be on the 366th day. Took it in and they changed the oil and oil filter without issue. I took it in for an alignment about a month ago and they changed the brake fluid and cabin filter proactively way before the 2 years and gave my car a thorough inspection.All of this was done by 1pm on a weekday, my local dealer is just awesome some others needs to take note.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Why dont you post up the name of the dealer to give members here a heads up on bad service?
Maybe prevent others from having the same or allow owners to deal with the lousy dealership in a better fashion.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
Sindarin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
My response was fine or not it is supposed to be changed at least every 3rd oil change according to BMW's maint manual.
Correct, every third scheduled oil service determined by vehicle CBS data which generally occurs around 45,000 miles. Annual low mileage oil services don't count, CBS data is not reset during those services.

The reason your dealer didn't replace it was because it simply wasn't due, and if its not due according to CBS data BMW will not pay the claim.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Give them a bad survey!!!!
      08-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindarin View Post
Correct, every third scheduled oil service determined by vehicle CBS data which generally occurs around 45,000 miles. Annual low mileage oil services don't count, CBS data is not reset during those services.

The reason your dealer didn't replace it was because it simply wasn't due, and if its not due according to CBS data BMW will not pay the claim.
I think that was there position, the manual indicates replacing the air filter:

After every 3rd engine oil change: Intake air
cleaner: replace air filter element (reduce
replacement interval in dusty operating
conditions).

But it also indicates

Oil Service: Engine oil should be changed
with the engine at operating temperature.
Note: Change oil at least once a year.

And I still couldn't believe we were spending this much effort over an air filter that had been in the car for 4 years. Do most folks really go 45k without changing or cleaning an air filter?

Forgot to mention I had reserved a loaner that was not available when I arrived. But their courtesy service worked pretty well as they dropped me off at work and picked me up at the end of the day.
      08-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Give them a bad review. You can even call BMW NA. I had an issue several years ago where the Service Manager said it was not warranty without checking. I called BMW and within an hour the Service Manager called and said bring the car in for the warranty work. The Service Manager was mad at me for calling but we have since talked and now I get the best service.

Post the name of the dealer, people need to know!
      08-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep

I think it is as much a BMWNA issue as it is the dealer. I've generally had a good relationship with the dealer and have worked at cultivating it as they are the only one in town. I think there are only 5 dealerships in the state.