BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Long Term Effects with a Flash

So I think the general rule is more power/boost/etc = more engine wear. But since our N54 platform is pretty robust it can definitely handle some more juice.

But anecdotally, who has had a flash -- specifically Cobb -- on the longest? Notice any more wear and tear on certain parts?
cdv delete | clutch stop | bmw performance ssk | meisterschaft gt | berk mids | dinan cai | helix fmic | m3 subframe bushings, swaybar, front and back suspension bits | dinan stage 1 suspension | dinan cf strut brace |gc camber plates | dinan oil cooler | apex ec-7s w/PSSs | cobb stage 1 + fmic

Last edited by icabod7; 07-31-2011 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by icabod7 View Post
Notice any more wear and tear on certain parts?
How could anyone possibly notice that? More wear and tear than my imaginary otherwise identical 135i that doesn't have a tune?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

The Cobb tune hasn't been around that long, so you won't find anyone who has had that particular tune long enough to provide any real data.

As for other tunes, there are e90 guys who have had tunes on for years and years, and tens of thousands of miles, with no problems. Then again, there's a couple guys with melted turbos not covered by warranty (due to the tune), but nobody can really substantiate whether the tune caused it or not because there's not much to compare to. All cars are different and people have had engine failures with no tunes at all, while others have been running 16+ psi for over 50,000 miles (and probably some close to 100,000 by this point in time).

There's really no definite way to tell, but for the most part, the cars and engines seem to be holding up pretty well to tunes. The only way in which the engine is NOT holding up well for ANYONE (with or without a tune) is in terms of carbon buildup in the engine. Since the car is not only direct injected, but also turbo, there is oil spraying freaking everywhere in our engines. I recommend seafoaming relatively often, and just plain cleaning out the valves and intake manifold after 50,000 miles. I'm almost at that point with my car, and dreading what I will find in there.

Then again, the Cobb tune seems to boost much more than the procede or jb (but offers similar, if not slower, 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. i never got this?? are they just measuring the boost differently somehow?), so i can't speak for people running the accessport.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by icabod7 View Post
Notice any more wear and tear on certain parts?
How could anyone possibly notice that? More wear and tear than my imaginary otherwise identical 135i that doesn't have a tune?
C'mon, there are other baselines for comparison. Specifically, we can compare folks who have a stock car. Maybe they see certain parts wear our at longer intervals than folks who have a flash.
cdv delete | clutch stop | bmw performance ssk | meisterschaft gt | berk mids | dinan cai | helix fmic | m3 subframe bushings, swaybar, front and back suspension bits | dinan stage 1 suspension | dinan cf strut brace |gc camber plates | dinan oil cooler | apex ec-7s w/PSSs | cobb stage 1 + fmic

Last edited by icabod7; 07-31-2011 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
The Cobb tune hasn't been around that long, so you won't find anyone who has had that particular tune long enough to provide any real data.

As for other tunes, there are e90 guys who have had tunes on for years and years, and tens of thousands of miles, with no problems. Then again, there's a couple guys with melted turbos not covered by warranty (due to the tune), but nobody can really substantiate whether the tune caused it or not because there's not much to compare to. All cars are different and people have had engine failures with no tunes at all, while others have been running 16 psi for over 50,000 miles (and probably some close to 100,000 by this point in time).

There's really no definite way to tell, but for the most part, the cars and engines seem to be holding up pretty well to tunes. The only way in which the engine is NOT holding up well for ANYONE (with or without a tune) is in terms of carbon buildup in the engine. Since the car is not only direct injected, but also turbo, there is oil spraying freaking everywhere in our engines. I recommend seafoaming relatively often, and just plain cleaning out the valves and intake manifold after 50,000 miles. I'm almost at that point with my car, and dreading what I will find in there.

Then again, the Cobb tune seems to boost much more than the procede or jb (but offers similar, if not slower, 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. i never got this?? are they just measuring the boost differently somehow?), so i can't speak for people running the accessport.
That's great info, thanks. I too had worries about build-up so I bought an AR OCC. I'm at 27k miles, so I guess I'll be cleaning out various engine bits at 50k now.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
RedM1
Dirty South 1 Owner!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

I ran COBB on my suby for 3 years only thing that wore out was my clutch from all the 5k launches. COBB is new to the BMW world so its not up to par yet with the other tuners. Im sure theyll fix thier glitches and be at the same level soon enough..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 04:37 AM   #7
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep
Drives: Quick enough

We've had customers running our tune (all stages) for several years and tens of thousands of miles with no issues whatsoever, the N54 is very robust.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 05:02 AM   #8
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

The N54 is fairly detuned from factory and runs quite rich. Running a tune so far hasn't caused any issues for anyone but I think the more important issues are how you drive your car and what kind of maintenance you do.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
The N54 is fairly detuned from factory and runs quite rich. Running a tune so far hasn't caused any issues for anyone but I think the more important issues are how you drive your car and what kind of maintenance you do.
thank you....the only worthwhile response to a ridiculous post. this forum has been getting pretty bad over the past few months.