BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
stuggy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

AutoCarbon Spoiler

Just got my AutoCarbon carbon fiber spoiler and was wondering if I should add another coat of clear for UV protection. On bimmians site(where i ordered it from) it said they clear coat it. Just want to get some input from you guys. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

It wouldn't hurt, but it might be overkill. You might end up paying close to what you paid for the spoiler just to add more clearcoat, when you could have bought a "better" brand than AutoCarbon with that money and not had to worry :P

If they claim that it's clearcoated already, personally, I would just wax it regularly with a UV-protectant wax. If you don't already use a UV-protectant wax, Mothers Synwax and Einszett Glanz Hart Glanz wax are both UV protectant and I've been using either one or the other on my carbon parts (regardless of what I wax the rest of the car with). Einszett is a little more "upscale" and it's from Germany, so I've been just waxing the whole car with it recently and it seems to last longer. As far as I know, regular Carnauba wax doesn't offer any actual UV protection, just protection for the clear coat which itself has the UV blocking built in. Only some synthetic or synthetic/carnauba mixes seem to have it added in.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
stuggy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

yeah yeah so I'm a little cheap but thanks for the reply, I guess I'll just use some of those products you suggested. I think I'm a little paranoid haha. thanks once again
Appreciate 0