BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Jake Stumph Racing 135i - Now Developing JSR-spec Big Oil Cooler Kit - See Post #40!

Hey all, my name is Jake, and I've been a member of the forums since late 2012, before I even owned a 1'er and was just shopping. I figured, with the state of the car as is, it was worth it to finally start a progress thread, so I can remember all the little things that have happened over the years.
I keep a blog/vlog of my exploits under the collective of "Jake Stumph Racing," which is a fun way of making my little adventures seem more significant than they really are.

---
Starting this thread as a placeholder while organizing nearly three years of stories and pictures, so check back periodically, as more content will be added.
---

LAP TIMES

Streets of Willow CW: 1:27.7, 11/15/2015
Streets of Willow CCW: 1:29.5, 8/15/2015
Buttonwillow 13CW: 2:01.4, 10/31/2015
Chuckwalla CW: 2:15.9, 9/29/2013
Chuckwalla CCW: 2:07.0, 11/21/2015 [Updated!]
Willow Springs (Big Willow): 1:37.6, 6/11/2016 [Updated!]
Autoclub Speedway Roval: 1:54.0 11/8/2015 [Updated!]

When people think of New Years Resolutions, they think about losing the beer gut, being thriftier, etc., my first instinct was to set lap time resolutions. For 2015, my goals are to get below 1:30 at Streets of Willow in both directions, and below a 2:03 at Buttonwillow 13CW on street tires. Very recently, I knocked out a 1:29.5 @ SOW running CCW, which was amazing. Despite the heat (108*F), the car felt great, and we were able to knock that one out of the park. Let's keep the momentum rolling, and finish 2015 like a beast!

I like to note the date that my lap times were set, as I gives me a general reminder of the level of modification that the car had, as well as it reflecting my general level of experience and seat time. Hopefully, a lap time set a few years would be considerably slower than what I would be capable to setting in the current day.

On October 31, 2015 (Yes, Halloween), a bunch of us went up to Buttonwillow and we were determined to set some serious hot laps. The car was running great all day, and picking up serious time due to a few tweaks I made to the wheel/tire setup and suspension tuning. In the fourth heat od the day, I laid down a brutal hot lap. Massively exceeding my goal of a 2:03, I ran a 2:01.4 lap time. Videos and article coming soon, but suffice to say, I'm very proud of the car and will be looking to go sub-2 minutes at Buttonwillow for 2016. I think I'm the fastest narrow body 135i (i.e. no E.R/1M conversion) running 255 RS3 front and rear. I want to go sub-2 without doing the 1M conversion, and I think the car is totally capable of doing it on a nice, winter day. Stay tuned!

UPDATE 11/15/15: Went back to Streets of Willow with some changes to the car and went 1:27.7 in the first session while still shaking the car down. Unfortunately, I blew the charge pipe two laps after that and my day came to an end all too quickly. I'm certain that with some tweaks, I can crack a high 1:25 lap time at SOW. The car has serious potential with the new wheel setup and cold weather.

Note: For both Chuckwalla, and Big Willow, I have some racing driver excuses lined up. [Queue sob story] I've only been to those tracks once a piece, and my car was stock, or close to it, for both events. Also, at Big, I had a little accident that ended my day early, so I never got a full day's worth of lapping to get familiar with the track. I'm guessing if I went back, I'd be in the mid-to-high 1:30's [/sob story].

Specs:
  • 2010 135i
  • N54
  • 6MT
  • Alpine White on Black
  • Zero Option Car

Engine/Powertrain
  • JB4
  • BMS DCI
  • VRSF Downpipes
  • N55 Midpipes
  • BERK Race Axleback
  • M3 CDV
  • BMS OCC
  • MFactory Torsen LSD
  • CSF Racing Radiator (Big thanks to CSF for sponsoring this project!!!)
  • Evolution Racewerks Chargepipe + Tial Q BOV
  • JSR-spec Custom Oil Cooler
  • Evolution Racewerks Intercooler

Suspension
  • TC Kline S/A Coilovers, 400# F/ 700#R Springs
  • Vorshlag Camber Plates
  • Eibach Front Swaybar
  • AKG 75D Poly Subframe Bushings (As of 10/23/16)
  • Whiteline Poly Diff Bushings
  • 15mm 335xi Rear Sway Bar w/ Whiteline Poly Bushings
  • Corner Balanced with Driver @ 3409# (Thanks West End Alignment!)

Brakes
  • OEM 135i Calipers
  • RacingBrake Front and Rear Caliper Rebuild Kit
  • Centric Cheap-o Rotors (meh)
  • Hawk DTC60 (F&R) Pads
  • HardBrakes Ti Shims
  • DIY Brake Ducting Kit (still in development)

Wheels/Tires
  • Style 261M for street use/driving too and from track
  • (2) TireRack Motorsport MT1-R (discontinued) 17x9 ET40 w/ 255/40 Hankook RS3
  • (2) APEX ARC8 18x9.5 ET62 w/ 255/35 Hankook RS3
  • Miscellaneous Spacers to make these all fit

Aero
  • Broken Undertray
  • Broken Plastic Engine Belly Pan
  • Berk Technologies-spec APR Carbon Fiber Splitter (Not yet installed)
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3

Last edited by Ginger_Extract; 01-06-2017 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Look forward to seeing more!
      08-18-2015, 07:12 PM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Glad you're finally getting around to it man.
      08-20-2015, 01:00 AM   #4
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep

Well, to get viewers up to speed, here is an abbreviated tale of how I ended up here.

My previous vehicle was a 2008 Mazda3 hatchback. That car was my first foray into modifying, and racing cars in any capacity. I owned that car from new (March 2008) to January 2013, and it taught me so much. Everything from understanding engine tuning, chassis tuning and suspension dynamics, and how to start getting into autocross and track days.

It was a willing, and reliable partner, but not without it's quirks (kind of like the driver). There were so many "firsts" with that car, and the memories will always be close to my heart.
However, after nearly five years, and several revisions, reboots, and changes to my modification path for the car, I wanted something different. I didn't have the means at the time to keep two vehicles, so it was with a heavy heart that I returned the car back to stock, parted everything out, and began looking for something new.

I had a general outline of what I was looking for, faster, manual, RWD, sporty. I had loved the look of the E82 since I first saw it, and really wanted a 1M but I knew that financially, it was simply not possible. My roommate at the time had picked up an E90 335i and was constantly in my ear about the tuning potential of the N54...

I looked at an AP2 S2000, it was like a Miata turned up to 11, but I physically did not fit in it, and the motor didn't blow me away like I thought it would. It lacked the urgency, freneticism and "punch-above-it's-weight" feel that I had known with older Honda products.

I looked at an HR 350Z, it has presence, and felt substantial, Japan's take on an American cruiser/brawler. The engine felt meaty, and the gearbox was pretty nice. Ultimately, it was too much of a cruiser, and didn't set my hair on fire enough.

I looked at a 2.0T Genesis Coupe 6MT R-Spec, it was in every way terrible.

The FRS came out in 2013, and I was all aboard the hype train. I wanted to love it so much, because, on paper it was perfect for me. However, I drove a few of them, and was underwhelmed. I knew that like the S2000, I was supposed to love this, but it just didn't do anything for me.

So, I kept driving the Mazda.

One day, after visiting my Mom at her place, she mentioned seeing a "cute" car up on the plinth at the local BMW dealership. My Mother generally doesn't know, or care about sports cars, at all, so I brushed it off.
The next day, she sent me an autotrader link to the cute car that she saw. It was a CPO 2010 (N54) 135i, 6MT, stripper car in Alpine in the used lot, with 10,990 miles, still on the OEM tires. I drove to the dealership with my roommate and my Mom and took it for a test drive.

Maybe it was indicative, but the sales associate took a look at me and my roommate and told us to go out and have fun, he would keep my Mom company at the dealership. I drove the car around town, it was smooth, I hit the freeway on-ramp and hammered it, and I was...underwhelmed.

I looked at my roommate and asked if it felt slow to him. He said it was just in my head, and that I wasn't used to the lack of drama associated to the flat torque curve. So, I kept driving, and driving. Something about the car just felt right. I felt right being in it, in a way that I didn't in the other cars. There was an intangible feeling that this was the car that I was supposed to be piloting. Eventually, there was a long clearing, and soon I was foot-to-the-firewall on it. Second gear, into third, the car felt pretty good, so I kept in it, and into fourth, not looking at the speedometer, just looking ahead. It was all so smooth. My friend asked if I was done yet, that's when I realized that we were going quite a bit faster than I thought. I was sold.

In January 2013, I had my 1'er, and on the stock summer runflats, I braved an Ohio winter, but it didn't matter, because I was in love.

To be continued...
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3

Last edited by Ginger_Extract; 08-20-2015 at 01:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 11:59 PM   #5
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep

Picking up where I left up previously...

I had owned the 1'er for four months, when in May of 2013, I accepted a job in Southern California. Having made the drive to the West Coast from Ohio before, I opted this time to put the car on a carrier and fly out there.

By late June I was out here, getting acclimated to the car culture in Southern California. As much as the government/law seems to hate cars, California is jammed packed with car culture, and cheap track days. Sweet, sweet, cheap track days.

Southern California is seemingly littered with race tracks, so I began to attend track days more regularly. The bug bit hard. I was hooked on track driving. I didn't do a single autocross in California in 2013, but I was getting familiar with the big track.
Coming from a pretty comprehensively modified car to the 1'er, my mantra was this: Push the car as hard as I could, as is, until the hardware started became the limiting factor.

For most of 2013, the car was set up very mildly. Dunlop Star Spec Z1 tires on the OEM wheels, Titanium brake pad shims, camber pins popped (-0.2* front camber, hah), and obviously the JB4, which I always bypassed at the track (Map 0/4).

Oh yeah, and my "$2 BOV" mod that a buddy and I made:

I had an event at Streets of Willow, running it counter-clockwise. But, this was pre-GoPro era for me, so you'll have to take my word on it, I was slow (1:34).

My first outing at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway:

[Write-up here]

Then Willow Springs International Raceway (Big Willow):

[Write-up here]

Oh yeah, and I went to first ever 1Fest in SoCal, over at Eibach, that was interesting!

Write-up: http://jakestumphracing.tumblr.com/p...-cars-and-audi

However, by the end of 2013, I was missing something. That something was autocross. My SCCA membership was still good for a few more months, so I began researching the local SCCA chapter out here, CSCC.

There were a lot more rules, than my old OVR region in Ohio. The events were more expensive, and you got less runs. Seemed like a downer, but I wanted to mix it up with some cones, so I jumped in.

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I attended the first autocross of the 2014 season, and left dishearted. The organization seemed to be full of stuck up people who assumed you knew how everything went and got hot and bothered when asked questions. There was no sense of involvement in the event, just show up, waste your time for a few hours and then leave. I trashed the GoPro footage because I thought the course was boring.

I skipped the next few events.

In this span of time, I had managed to accumulate some parts:
- DCI
- N55 Mids + Berk race axleback
- Vorshlag camber plates fitted to the stock springs and dampers
- A dedicated track wheel and tire setup
- Miscellaneous sporty/racing brake pads
- M3 Straight-through CDV

I had my first event at what is now, one of my favorite tracks, Buttonwillow:

It's amazing how much faster I've gotten here. Watching this footage, it is almost painful to watch how gentle I am throughout the course. Funny what you pick up in a year.

The car was starting to come together as a competent occasional track day car, and somewhere along the way, I had gotten it into my head that autocross is fun, and I will make the local events fun. Also, the 1'er was vaguely prepped for STU, so why not. I re-upped my SCCA membership and returned to the local autocross scene.

Not without a few bumps and bruises along the way.

I participated in my first ProSolo, and got my ass handed to me. Despite that, I was back in the swing of it, and began attending every event, and getting to know some regulars. Ah, the car control that autocross teaches you simply cannot be ignored, it felt great to be back out there, attacking the cones, even if I was still a hack.

To be continued...

Last edited by Ginger_Extract; 09-04-2015 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
TWMPerformance
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

DAMN your car sounds absolutely amazing in the vid

- Renato
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 10:18 PM   #7
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I've seen your build blog before
Those red e46 track wheels looked very familiar haha
Nice build thread!
      08-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
fotofillic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i

I've been meaning to head to Willowsprings sometime... Just gotta get the car track ready. Nice build thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 10:08 PM   #9
KellyK
Lady Driven
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 128i

Hi Jake!!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 10:01 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice, keep it up

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 10:42 AM   #11
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep

At this point in the story, we are up to about mid-2014...

I was back at Streets of Willow, this time with the 255 square Hankooks and camber plates, seeing what we could do running counter-clockwise. I also had totally blown front shocks, and front calipers whose boots were totally shredded and pistons discolored. No risk, no reward, right?
Looks like the fatter tires and front camber were good for more than 2.5 seconds worth of lap time. That got me down to a 1:31.5.

About a month later, I was back at Buttonwillow, trying to pick up some pace from my pitiful 2:17 that I set at my first outing there. At this point, anything would have been an improvement, but traffic was tenacious. Traffic not only slows you down, but teaches you bad habits, as you unintentionally mimic the mistakes of the driver's in front of you.
By the end of the day, I had whittled my lap time down to a 2:15.1, which, while still slow was a 2 second improvement. I should note that no real changes to the car had been made from my first time here, unless you count driving around on the blown front dampers that I had found a month ago. To be fair, E82 factory shocks are so awful that they didn't really feel any different before or after.

A few weeks after that, I managed to win my ever autocross event, which was exciting.

there were a few more events littered throughout this period of time:

I was also milling over suspension ideas, in order to replace the blown shock with camber plate and stock spring setup I had. There was a lot of reading, research, and double checking. The balance between being cheap, and getting the right setup was proving taxing, but eventually the TCKs, with 400/700 springs, and a big (used and cheap) Eibach front sway bar won me over. [Ed. note: check back from write up and impressions]

Also thrown into the mix were the Whiteline subframe bushing inserts. I'm sure they did something, but I look back and think that I should have hardened up and just did the full bushing replacement. No doubt, a future project to handle.

There was also a brief period of time that I tested the BMS oil cooler thermostat delete. In short, if it worked in your specific application, good for you, but I dislike this "solution," there is too much compromise, and no help when the going gets rough. No thanks, it's long gone, and good riddance.

Oh yeah, and I finally upgraded to wheel studs too. Highly recommended, 10/10.

After what seemed like a lot of tweeks, I was back at Streets of Willow, this time running it in the Clockwise direction. I have a quick amendment to make here, in my first post, I said that I ran the track both directions when stock, but I guess my recollections have gone astray, because my own write up when it actually happened proved otherwise. THIS was my first crack at running Streets in the clockwise direction with the 1'er, and a 1:32.2 was where we ended up. A decent baseline. Time to crush it.

Here, laugh at my silly driving:

Having a stiff, low suspension with an open diff on a bumpy track can be a handful!

Wrapping up 2014 in a wonderful fashion was one last trip to Buttonwillow. I was able to set a 2:09.5 lap, which was damn near 6 seconds faster than my last outing. Thank you, TC Kline and the fresh pavement at Buttonwillow!

So, with all of that laid out, 2014 had come to an end. I was getting much more comfortable on track, and had gotten back into autocrossing. A solid year indeed, but for 2015, now that I had baselines, I wanted to set forth challenging goals for myself and the car.

I want to set 1-series street tire lap records at Buttonwillow and Streets of Willow (and if I can get back to Chuckwalla, and Big Willow, that would be great!). As the new year approached, I laid out my goals:

Buttonwillow 13CW config: 2:03 or faster
Streets of Willow: sub-1:30, both directions

Both BERK and Evolution Racewerks lapped Button @ 1:59, with cars that were thoroughly more prepared. I first want to hit a 2:03, and then slowly whittle my times down from there, until I'm on par with their cars.

That wraps up the back half of the 2014 chapter. This story will pick right back up at the beginning of 2015.

Last edited by Ginger_Extract; 09-03-2015 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #12
Scracho
Rep
Drives: 135i M Pack N54

Loving the track focussed build!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #13
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep

2015 picked up exactly where 2014 ended, if you can even call it that. Southern California doesn't really have an off season for motorsports. Track days are actually much better during Winter, because temperatures are the 50-60* area, versus 100+ that we see at the track all summer.

After this, I decided to flush the radiator to hopefully improve the car's cooling capabilities.

At the end of February, I was back at Buttonwillow, looking to improve upon my lap time of 2:09.5. With the combination of the cooler winter weather, and the fresh water in the cooling system, I was about to knock out a 2:07.2 lap time, while in traffic! That entire day was filled with crazy adventures, and if you follow my stuff online, you'll know that this story was actually featured on the front page of Jalopnik! Take a look at this one, it's worth the read.

Here's the hot lap from the day:

My rear tires were shot after that event, but of course changing them out would be silly without first going to play at autocross:

On second thought, maybe fresh rear tires weren't such a good idea. So much understeer!

It was around this time that I began test fitting the 9" front wheel. It's possible, and it can be done!

The summer heat sucks, and I try to minimize track time since it's just unbearable. As a result, most of my events for the next few months were autocrosses.

After a few months of being away from the track, I was getting antsy, so I broke my rule and in July, I had the brilliant idea of taking my girlfriend along with me to a track out in the middle of the desert. Brilliant.

The car struggled at this event with issues. Boost leaks, water and oil temps at critical mass, and heat exhaustion, it was gnarly. In the end, I came out of it victorious and knocked out a 1:30.9 with plenty of room left to go faster on a cooler day.

For whatever reason, July kicked off a ton of events all on top of each other, between autocrosses, track days and general automotive extracurriculars.

With that, we are now caught up to last month, August 2015. This feels like a good stopping point in the story. I have a few backlogged articles that I need to knock out and get everything caught up, but like I said, it's been a busy few months over here.

Last edited by Ginger_Extract; 09-24-2015 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #14
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep

New article is live! If you've ever wondered about sway bars and how to set your car up, take a look!

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/why-yo...bar-1733925447

Appreciate 1
      10-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #15
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Phenomenal write up, and Congrats Jake
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #16
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep

New story about how I wound up at a free track day, check it out!

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/winnin...day-1734961779

Appreciate 1
      10-23-2015, 10:20 PM   #17
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep

How I fit a 17x9 with a 255 up front:

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/modify...ory-1737971102

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:57 PM   #18
ASPEC135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sideways always

That front fender bolt adjustment up top is sooo key!

If only maybe I found out about that technique earlier to try to gain a little more clearance, my front fenders wouldnt be as butchered up as they are now from beefy 245 ad08's

Good post, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #19
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
New article is live! If you've ever wondered about sway bars and how to set your car up, take a look!

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/why-yo...bar-1733925447

What mods are on the car in that pic? That's a lot of roll!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 05:27 PM   #20
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep

None. At that time, the car was stock, with the exception of Dunlop Star Spec Z1 tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 01:08 AM   #21
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep

A quick tunnel video:

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 03:22 AM   #22
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Lovely thread which shows how a bimmer should be used
Keep us updated with your upgrades and track/ auto cross events!
Appreciate 0