BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-31-2016, 11:34 AM   #1
Sasha4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 1 Series Sport

Air filter socks

So some of you know that many manufacturers make air filter socks for the cone style filters to act as a block for water (typically used on CAI closer to the ground to prevent hydrolock). My experiment was primarily due to the fact that the engine bay on my wifes 135 is always dusty. The amount of construction in Houston, TX is absurd and that brings with it- tons of dust.

So after reading many GTR owners have had success with these on their intake filters (PITA to get at and remove with big hands), I figured I get a set for both my GTR and my wife's 135i

The verdict- I cannot believe how clean these filters were. I cleaned and oiled them over 8 months ago and they still looked great! These filter socks were filthy but kept the actual filter cones pretty much perfect. I went ahead and cleaned them and re-oiled them but this was a job that used to be done every 2 months. Im extremely happy and the socks at most might lose 2 hp at peak but most rarely see any difference.

Just wanted to pass on the good news and hopefully make someones life a whole lot easier.

I found mine on Amazon under pre-filter sock under automotive. You can use any brand as long as it fits your filter

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_ex_n_...qid=1454261389

Hope that helps you out