BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-30-2010, 06:50 AM   #1
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

photos of clear bra on 135i/128i m-sport?

I've just had a clear bra put on my car, and I'm disappointed with how it turned out. Some parts are good, but the area around the headlights and the lower bumper grilles look poorly done. It's lifted up in certain curves and dirt is now stuck under these areas.

I know it's hard to apply it to this bumper, and I don't know if I'm expecting too much.

If anyone has pics of the film applied to their car, I would really appreciate taking a look.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
spfdenhugh
BMWCCA member
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe, Z3 2.8

Have them redo it. I had lifting at the edges and they replaced it with another brand. It is quite a challenge on the bumper due to the complex curves, but that is what you pay them to do...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 05:09 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You can see my photos of my clear bra install here...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=clear+bra+diy

I used the factory kit for the hood and front bumper... no problem with peeling(even at 155mph!). Turned out great!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
wolfe
Captain
Rep

I may have them redo it... my concern is that if they truly don't have the skill to do it properly I don't really want them messing with my car any more than they have to.

I know this is a hard car to apply the film to, the shop that did mine charged roughly twice what other shops in the area do and came recommended.

I had it tinted at the same time and I'm not happy with that either. Lots of dust and fibers trapped under the tint.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

I had a problem with it near one of the creases in the bumper near the FMIC -- I took it back to the shop and the guy just cut out the part where dirt was collecting. Not the most elegant solution, but it worked. The guy I worked with was highly recommended, and I think he did a decent job, but it is very tough to work with some of the weird curves on the front bumper.

Definitely agree that you take it back and ask for him to fix it or re-do it. If you take it to someone else, you're just going to have to pay them to do the job you've already paid the first guy to do.

If you're really skeptical about his skill, though, you can always just tell him to take it off and to refund that part of the work he's done for you.

By the way, did you have him do a full hood wrap, or just the 1/2 hood?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

When I watched my installer put on the film... the hardest part was the hood emblem and also those creases on the front bumper with the FMIC blend is.

You just needs LOTS of patience and keep working with a squegy to get the film to stick. Then.... you chould NOT WASH or drive the car at high speeds for a few days. I think that might be whats missing here. IF any air bubbles DO appear... just take a CC or Squegy and work them out.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
wolfe
Captain
Rep

I didn't have the full hood, just the front 12".

The installer told me the part that was toughest was also the hood emblem, and the curve where the bumper curves up to meet the grilles.

Annoyingly I now have a 1/4" rock chip right on the corner where it curves in to the grille opening because the film doesn't quite reach to here.

I think you're right on the washing/driving part too. They told me they washed the car before I picked it up, and I picked it up when it was raining. The film is now peeling up in creases around the lights, grille, and other curves, and dirt has got underneath and stuck to the film. It just looks like a real mess.

There are a few air bubbles, but they're the least of my worries at the moment...

I checked out your pictures too, and I realized your mirrors were covered in one piece. Mine is two pieces, and has lots of exposed mirror.

The cutout for the tow hook is about 1/2" off center, and the piece that sticks on the tow hook cover is just stuck on there bridging that gap.

I think I should have gone for a custom wrap rather than the precut pieces.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Wolfe, you can always have the film removed and go with a one piece coating. That is the beauty of this stuff. In the directions from BMW (see #6 in my attached photo) they also show the proper way to remove the old film. With a hair drier or heat gun and use a great than 90' angle of removal. You can see those pics in my very first posting of the BMW directions.

I bought some extra film and plan on doing the area on the rocker pannels just behind teh front wheels and the rear wheel area - bc that also seems likely to get rock chips. When ever I find the time I will take some pics and post them too.

see #6 photo for removal of 3M film...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
I didn't have the full hood, just the front 12".

The installer told me the part that was toughest was also the hood emblem, and the curve where the bumper curves up to meet the grilles.

Annoyingly I now have a 1/4" rock chip right on the corner where it curves in to the grille opening because the film doesn't quite reach to here.
Yes, and part of the clear bra ownership experience is swearing left and right as soon as you notice a rock chip in an area that you DIDN'T cover. In my previous car, I just had the front done, and swore up a storm every time I saw a rock chip further up the hood. That was the reason I had the entire hood wrapped in my 135i.
Appreciate 0