BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #23
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
A friend of mine has a saying: don't buy the car, buy the previous owner. If you know and trust the owner and you won't get surprises. When cars are rare and the community is small- he mostly buys GT3s, dozens of them- it's possible to do.

Ask yourself, do you trust this owner?
Well Said.

Advice doesn't get much better than that.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #24
stangman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Well Said.

Advice doesn't get much better than that.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #25
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

The owner of Kelly BMW in Columbus OH is selling a VO 1M with 2k miles. Not cheap, but it sounds nice. No affiliation, just trying to help.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #26
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

njw,

Did you ever speak to BMW service director? Or did you decide to just drop this one?
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #27
njw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 - LBB/6MT/Exec

Crazy enough, the first owner of this car is also a forum member. We've talked and he even has records showing that BMW of Chattanooga did, in fact, make the mistake in paperwork. He has owned 2 different 1M's and they mistakenly applied his old VIN to those service records with 16K and 17K miles, which is his new car. Looks like the car I am considering buying really does only have 5,5XX miles. Now it is just a process to get the dealers to fix records and BMW ensure me the car is 100% covered by warranty. I'm still going to get the car and drive it to BMW of San Diego, with both keys, to have them read and have the car checked out with the service director as a witness.

What seemed like a tampered car may soon prove to be just a few paperwork mistakes by BMW techs.
      07-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #28
njw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
The owner of Kelly BMW in Columbus OH is selling a VO 1M with 2k miles. Not cheap, but it sounds nice. No affiliation, just trying to help.
E30 Racer

Thanks for the lead. Every 1M I can find at a BMW dealer is going for more than $65K. I've waited 2 years so I didn't have to pay that much.
      07-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #29
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by njw View Post
Crazy enough, the first owner of this car is also a forum member. We've talked and he even has records showing that BMW of Chattanooga did, in fact, make the mistake in paperwork. He has owned 2 different 1M's and they mistakenly applied his old VIN to those service records with 16K and 17K miles, which is his new car. Looks like the car I am considering buying really does only have 5,5XX miles. Now it is just a process to get the dealers to fix records and BMW ensure me the car is 100% covered by warranty. I'm still going to get the car and drive it to BMW of San Diego, with both keys, to have them read and have the car checked out with the service director as a witness.

What seemed like a tampered car may soon prove to be just a few paperwork mistakes by BMW techs.
Interesting development. Guess you're halfway to discovering and proving the truth, at least to such an extent as to satisfy you that nothing shady is really going on...just incompetence? Which, by a dealer seems pretty common. =P Better safe than sorry when dealing with not only a used car, but a $60k used car.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #30
jlb1Mcoupe
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1 M Coupe

Quote:

I own this car now and would love to be in contact with that original owner. BMW is trying to get the record straight. It seems that the original owner bought another BMW and when he had service done the 2 dealerships still had the vin for the 1M coupe under his name. He gave them the key for his new car and that mileage then went in for the 1M. It is a flaw in the BMW system. BMW doesn't have the vin# in the key reader. Therfore, what ever vin they have for your name gets the reading for the key they read. If you see this please let me know who the original owner is. I would just love to talk to him. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #31
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
btw, on the site that car is being sold it says this:
"THIS 1M MAKES AN APPEARANCE IN THE MOVIE "THE GAMBLER" COMING OUT 2015"
See this thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1055094
      11-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #32
providence
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35xi, F15 X5 (35d), 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb1Mcoupe View Post
I own this car now and would love to be in contact with that original owner. BMW is trying to get the record straight. It seems that the original owner bought another BMW and when he had service done the 2 dealerships still had the vin for the 1M coupe under his name. He gave them the key for his new car and that mileage then went in for the 1M. It is a flaw in the BMW system. BMW doesn't have the vin# in the key reader. Therfore, what ever vin they have for your name gets the reading for the key they read. If you see this please let me know who the original owner is. I would just love to talk to him. Thanks
original owner seems to be going by the username Todd (@Todd). see page 3 of the referenced tread above. good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #33
njw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb1Mcoupe View Post
PM sent. FYI, Todd cannot be the original owner unless he was the "broker" that bought the car from the real original owner to resell in California. I know the original owner personally and have seen records of when he purchased it brand new from BMW of Chattanooga.

I did a lot of research on the car and didn't purchase it solely on the attitude problem with the small dealership's owner . Otherwise, the car's history is cleaner that it appears. We will get you sorted out, congrats on your new purchase!
      11-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #34
E821M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M/330CI ZHP

Quote:
PM sent. FYI, Todd cannot be the original owner unless he was the "broker" that bought the car from the real original owner to resell in California. I know the original owner personally and have seen records of when he purchased it brand new from BMW of Chattanooga.

I did a lot of research on the car and didn't purchase it solely on the attitude problem with the small dealership's owner . Otherwise, the car's history is cleaner that it appears. We will get you sorted out, congrats on your new purchase!
See you picked up an E92 M3, congrats! What's the color, specs?
Appreciate 0