BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
Fordyking
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 118D Coupe MSport

Smile Question on bulb upgrade for 118i convertible

I'm picking up my le mans blue 118i m sport convertible next Friday and I am very confused on what bulbs I should order to get a xenon look as this extra has not been included as it is a bmw lease vehicle and this extra was not available.

Is there any risk to the lights by changing the bulbs? I really want a xenon look but obviously don't want to damage the headlamps in anyway.

Not too sure on what bulbs I should be looking for, can anyone help me out?!

Sorry if this question has been answered a lot but I can't seem to find any straight forward threads as there seems to be so much about bulbs and it's all very confusing.

Any links would be great!

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

You have two options:

1) Xenon "look" bulbs. These are direct replacement for the stock yellow halogen bulbs, and are also halogn bulbs but with a more whitish tinge to them. Examples are Osram Nightbreakers that I have installed myself, and Philips Extreme. You are looking for H7 size bulbs.

2) HID bulbs which are the real "xenon" white bulbs. As you, like me, do not have projector housing (the magnifying globe type ball you see on cars with stock xenons), and instead have reflectors (designed for halogens), I wouldn't recommend this route as you'd most likely be blinding oncoming drivers due to the reflector backing. However, people still do this. You are also looking for H7 size and either 35W or 55W ballasts which you'll also need, 55W is a bit brighter than 35W.

What you can do is purchase aftermarket "depo" headlights (see jlevisw.com for example) as these have projectors, and then install a HID kit into these. However, they do not look exactly like OEM BMW parts. You can decide that for yourself though, check this subsection for pictures and reviews.

Lastly, you should also replace your parking lights (first switch on the headlight switch) to white LED bulbs to give your overall headlights a whiter tinge. See my thread in this section too for more info and pics of this. There's also a pic of the nightbreakers on that thread!
Good luck, hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Fordyking
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacabriolet View Post
You have two options:

1) Xenon "look" bulbs. These are direct replacement for the stock yellow halogen bulbs, and are also halogn bulbs but with a more whitish tinge to them. Examples are Osram Nightbreakers that I have installed myself, and Philips Extreme. You are looking for H7 size bulbs.

2) HID bulbs which are the real "xenon" white bulbs. As you, like me, do not have projector housing (the magnifying globe type ball you see on cars with stock xenons), and instead have reflectors (designed for halogens), I wouldn't recommend this route as you'd most likely be blinding oncoming drivers due to the reflector backing. However, people still do this. You are also looking for H7 size and either 35W or 55W ballasts which you'll also need, 55W is a bit brighter than 35W.

What you can do is purchase aftermarket "depo" headlights (see jlevisw.com for example) as these have projectors, and then install a HID kit into these. However, they do not look exactly like OEM BMW parts. You can decide that for yourself though, check this subsection for pictures and reviews.

Lastly, you should also replace your parking lights (first switch on the headlight switch) to white LED bulbs to give your overall headlights a whiter tinge. See my thread in this section too for more info and pics of this. There's also a pic of the nightbreakers on that thread!
Good luck, hope that helps!

Hey cheers for your response. I think the halogen replacement such as the nightbreakers would probably be the way i'd go. I've had a look at the pictures of your LED parking light replacements which I'm probably going to go for - they're looking sweet. Would you be able to post a photo of how your lights are looking with the osram nightbreakers? Night or day would be good! Just so I can get an idea of what they look like. Any chance of linking me to some that would be suitable for me? Sorry to be a pain!

Thanks again for your help! Much appreciated mate!

EDIT: Also is it you're referring to when you mentioned that i'll need 55W ballasts? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordyking View Post
Hey cheers for your response. I think the halogen replacement such as the nightbreakers would probably be the way i'd go. I've had a look at the pictures of your LED parking light replacements which I'm probably going to go for - they're looking sweet. Would you be able to post a photo of how your lights are looking with the osram nightbreakers? Night or day would be good! Just so I can get an idea of what they look like. Any chance of linking me to some that would be suitable for me? Sorry to be a pain!

Thanks again for your help! Much appreciated mate!

EDIT: Also is it you're referring to when you mentioned that i'll need 55W ballasts? Thanks!
No problem I had to find this stuff out the hard way after I didn't get many replies when I asked the same questions when i first got my car. Most of the people here have 128i/135i , and not the 4 cylinder variants, most with xenons (not even sure if they do halogen housings in the US)

In that same LED thread, the pic with my headlights on are in fact the night breakers - more white-ish tinge than stock.

With regards to the 55W ballast, that's if you are going to go the aftermarket HID kit route, which is not recommended unless you get the projectors , and it is in fact illegal in the UK even. http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You might want to check out these projector lenes. They are like the DEPO lights, but better made - I think. For 350 euros for two I think its hard to go wrong. Then just use a color temp H7 bulbs that produces light, in the color your looking for.

http://www.schmiedmann.com/FL87/prod...uktnummer.aspx
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
Fordyking
United Kingdom
Rep

Sounds kinda stupid but how many bulbs will I need then? 4?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

For?

If you want to change your high beam and low beam i.e normal lights and brights then 4 bulbs. I didn't bother with the brights.
Appreciate 0