BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

03-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #45
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
Rep
Drives: 135i

That was a fair review. AFAIK, my installations went smoothly, but it seems that the catted downpipes and plenium were the real issues.

What I don't get is why they couldn't send Daniel out there to do the install. Flights are cheap, and from what they are saying, he can install everything in your driveway in less than one day I would say, "if Daniel can come out and install it with no problems, i will pay for his flight. If he can't do it, I want a full refund plus expenses."

Vishnu PROcede v3, Vishnu Dual Cone Intake, Code3 FMIC, Riss Racing Downpipes, Riss Racing Exhaust, H&R Sport Springs
Best 1/4 mile: 12.583 @ 117.609 mph
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 12:36 PM   #46
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcafs View Post
The only thing I have bought from RR is their oil catch can and even with such a simple install, I had to bend their mounting bracket several times otherwise, the catch can would make contact with parts in the engine bay and had no clearance from the battery post.

Now let's see.....positive battery post terminal with a catch can rubbing up against it which is connected and grounded to the body.......hmmmmmm.

Also, upon close inspection, I noticed one of the rubber O-ring seals was torn and spent half a day wasting my time at the hardware store to replace it.
I had the exact same issues, plus one of my hose clamps was completely broken. Glad I wasn't the only one.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #47
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Keith, thanks for you time to type this up. As a prospective mod buyer, this kind of market feedback is most welcome and important. Although I have and installed a RR oil catch can on my car with no problems, but I want to put other purchases on hold until I can get a clearer picture about whose products are the best on the market. Thanks for the info.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 03:23 PM   #48
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335i, JB 135i

I bought my RR exhaust second hand, and I only had minor fitment issues, nothing like the OP's experiences. I have a small leak somewhere, which I believe to be a crappy gasket, nothing to worry about. There is no contact with the underbody on my exhaust, but the hangers in the rear had to be bent quite a bit to keep the tips away from the diffuser.

Those issues I would expect with any exhaust...especially one that is being shipped cross country and is subjected to bending and denting on it's way.

The other Riss part I own is the OCC. When I first installed it everything looked great, but after 3000 miles and removing it to drain the oil from it, I realized that I was missing an o-ring on the upper part of the viewer tube. This caused oil to leak out and coat the bottom of the OCC with oil. Upon closer inspection I found that the part isn't made very well, but for it's average price I don't feel like I should complain too much about anything other than the o-ring missing. I will be contacting Riss to get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 03:36 PM   #49
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsfoto View Post
Those issues I would expect with any exhaust...especially one that is being shipped cross country and is subjected to bending and denting on it's way.
You have really low standards. No product should ever show up damaged from "normal" shipping. If it does it wasn't packaged properly.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 03:41 PM   #50
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
You have really low standards. No product should ever show up damaged from "normal" shipping. If it does it wasn't packaged properly.
When bought from a vendor I agree, but I don't think I would complain on a used exhaust. Not if it was easily fixable.

I've recently moved my photos to Google's web albums. Photos can be found here, here, and here.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #51
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
Keith, thanks for you time to type this up. As a prospective mod buyer, this kind of market feedback is most welcome and important. Although I have and installed a RR oil catch can on my car with no problems, but I want to put other purchases on hold until I can get a clearer picture about whose products are the best on the market. Thanks for the info.
I'm glad you appreciate it. IMHO too many of the reviews around here are short and don't provide any real info.

I've recently moved my photos to Google's web albums. Photos can be found here, here, and here.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #52
WeekendWarrior
I'm not as dumb as you look.
United_States
Rep

COME ON GUYS THIS IS UNCOOL!!! THESE PARTS ARE ON THE WORLDS FASTEST 135s! Omg U Newbz!!!!1!1!11one!!!
      03-31-2009, 04:23 PM   #53
mynew135
assistant to the regional manager
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Well said Keith. But, didn't you notice all the extra "PULL" and power with the RR scoops? It's like 20 more HP!!! Anyway, I only have the scoops because they were given to me. I've been following your trials and feel for ya. IMHO, I wouldn't buy any of their products.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 04:52 PM   #54
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLM View Post
Oil Catch Can

I have not installed this yet. All the other issues I've had have made me leery about doing anything else with the car and especially when that involves Riss Racing. However I can definitely see a need for this, and from what I've found the install can't go horribly wrong and Riss doesn't appear to have screwed this up. So I will be installing it eventually, or paying Stett to put it on. It is the only product of their's that I would recommend to anyone mainly because there isn't a competing product that I'm aware of.
For what it's worth I would NOT install this item based on the history of poor QC associated RR. I have a bit of experience with oil catch cans and I can say that there is absolutely NOTHING special with RR's except perhaps the bracket (which apparently has to be modified to fit).

In fact, RR's is likely not designed properly as it doesn't have any internal baffling (this is based on a strong assumption--I have yet to see any proof (internal picutres) to say otherwise).

For alternative, consider a design such as this:

http://www.saikoumichi.com/ (just an example, there's several different designs out there that are made correctly)

simple and small, and is designed with proper internal baffling. A dual catch can setup would be ideal (although I have to review the PCV system for the BMW's...not sure if it would be feasible). This will easily fit although a custom bracket will have to be designed (aka piece of aluminum stock).

EDIT: this is not the first time I've posted on this topic (for what it's worth)
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #55
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Ok, pics are working at home.

The intake is worse than I initially thought (when it was in black). The design just isn't right. Transitions from one size pipe to another should be made with a taper where there's thing much airflow involved, and the welds, they're huge. One of my old supervisors had a name for welds like this (usually when talking about mine)....gorilla welds. They're big and strong, but they're fucking ugly. It's just not needed for a part like this IMO, and I wouldn't put one on my car.

The exhaust....WTF?! There's no way in hell that EVER fit a test car. It's a mile off. The sad part is, the exhaust actually looks pretty good, but you can't see it, and the parts you can see don't.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #56
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Keith, I'm really sorry you've had to go through all this trouble for what should have been simple mods.

You've posted a very thorough review and have documented your experiences better then I've seen from others. I agree that we don't get enough of this and I tried to do the same when posting my reviews:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222148
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228333

You can see in my reviews of Riss Racing products I did run into some issues and I'm sure you've seen my posted about the power steering bracket. Now even with these issues I would still continue to buy products from Riss Racing. I agree that there have been some fitment issues, but it's nothing that I wasn't able to work around relatively easily (unlike the issues you seemed to run into).

In addition to that the support I've received from Riss Racing has been extremely good. For example when I had one of my diverter valves fail on me (the line to the intake track blew off because the threads stripped) I had a new one in my hands within a few days. I sent the bad one back and it seems like they were listening to my feedback because they later released a new design for the diverter valves, which I've now switched to.

They have been very receptive of my constructive criticism. Like when I mentioned to Anthony that the bolts holding their midpipe to the axle back were way longer then they needed to be, he let me know that he appreciated the feedback and would include shorter bolts with the exhaust in the future.

Because of my experiences with Riss Racing I feel confident that they will address the issues you've run into in a way that will satisfy people. Maybe that's a little idealistic of me, but I guess that's just the kind of person I am.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 05:59 PM   #57
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

wow, interesting
      03-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #58
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

Well, this seals the deal for me regarding an intake. Thanks for the review! I appreciate how thorough it was.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 06:12 PM   #59
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335i, JB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial View Post
For what it's worth I would NOT install this item based on the history of poor QC associated RR. I have a bit of experience with oil catch cans and I can say that there is absolutely NOTHING special with RR's except perhaps the bracket (which apparently has to be modified to fit).

In fact, RR's is likely not designed properly as it doesn't have any internal baffling (this is based on a strong assumption--I have yet to see any proof (internal picutres) to say otherwise).

For alternative, consider a design such as this:

http://www.saikoumichi.com/ (just an example, there's several different designs out there that are made correctly)

simple and small, and is designed with proper internal baffling. A dual catch can setup would be ideal (although I have to review the PCV system for the BMW's...not sure if it would be feasible). This will easily fit although a custom bracket will have to be designed (aka piece of aluminum stock).

EDIT: this is not the first time I've posted on this topic (for what it's worth)
I've taken a look inside of the RR OCC, and it does have a mesh inside, but I don't know enough about how they should work to tell if it's ideal. I will say that after 3000 miles I had quite a bit of oil in the catch can, so it is doing it's job.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 06:21 PM   #60
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

The stainless steel mesh inside RR oil catch can is equivalent to a baffle inside and better.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 06:46 PM   #61
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

Very, very interesting. Great, thorough reviews OP.
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #62
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

If I remember correctly, the mesh was added later to the RR can, but I'm not certain of that. I seem to recall seeing a thread where they made a change to it at one point.

So DangerLucas, I understand some of what you are getting at, but really, do you want to be a beta-tester for every single product they put out no longer how long it's been in production? From what I gather it sounds as if you ran into issues with just about every single part you got from them, but because they are super nice guys to talk to on the phone you find it ok. I'm just opposed to that. These are supposed to be bolt-ons, fitment issues should be an anomaly, not the norm.

How many companies have you bought multiple things from that had to be returned and yet kept doing business with them when the problem was on their end? I've bought tons of stuff from Amazon, and they aren't really responsible for the defects most of the time, and yet I've returned fewer things to them than I have to Riss. And they picked up the shipping up front.

It just doesn't matter that much to me that Riss is so willing (sometimes) to work with you to fix the problem. The problems shouldn't be occurring at these high rates to begin with. People should be saying "in the rare event a problem occurs, Riss is great about getting on the phone with you and getting it resolved ASAP" instead of "every time a problem occurs , Riss is great about getting on the phone with you and getting it resolved ASAP".

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 08:08 PM   #63
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Keith,

As far as beta testing goes, to be honest, I really don't mind. That probably has something to do with my job though. I'm a Software Development Engineer in Test, so I actually like testing stuff and finding all the problems. That said I don't think this is something that every customer should be expected to do.

Maybe Riss Racing should send all their new products my way for test fitting and I can give them feedback before it's released . Maybe they already do something like that, but if not I'm sure it would be helpful for them to get that feedback before release. Although I'm guessing someone more local might have to do it for them.

I do agree that the problems shouldn't be there from the beginning though. I guess it would bother me a lot more if I really had a hard time with any of these installs, but as it stands I didn't. I also feel like the problems that I did have were very minor and were easy enough to work around that they weren't worth causing a big stink over.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 08:52 PM   #64
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
The stainless steel mesh inside RR oil catch can is equivalent to a baffle inside and better.
I stand corrected
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 09:11 PM   #65
busyguy8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 Black Saphire/Black 135 6M

WOW, thanks for the thorough review. I was seriously considering their exhaust until now!! I can't beleive they won't even respond to this.. well, actually I can beleive it.. LOL!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 10:26 PM   #66
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyguy8 View Post
WOW, thanks for the thorough review. I was seriously considering their exhaust until now!! I can't beleive they won't even respond to this.. well, actually I can beleive it.. LOL!
Technically I don't believe they are supposed to respond to something like this. They did make some comments in the downpipe installation thread I have. And really there's been no contact between me and them since then.

The list of responses from them I posted earlier is their crutch, and then they fall back on complete denial. And sometimes, as with the flange on the exhaust, they finally admit they screwed up. But it takes a lot for them to reach that stage.

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread