BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

PCD Deliverees: Did your car have wax on it?

To those who have done PCD:

Do I need to bring a small bottle of wax with me to the Performance Center or did your car have a coat of wax on it when you picked it up?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
UnclePerkins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i (e90) TiAg

Mine had a light coat of soft wax on delivery day; applied by the PCD folks. Ginger told me they use only Meguiar's products.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Hopefully they don't apply it with a wool pad on a rotary.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
mikewills
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
A bag of mf towels cost $5.99... I highly doubt any dealership uses wool, or anything but mf.
Those towels you speak of do marr paint. You're better off using them for interior and windows.

YES....wool pads are still used on buffers. They can do alot of damage. Check out www.detailedimage.com "ask a detailer" section and you'll see some crazy shit that dealerships do.

This is the very reason why many buyers tell the dealers not too wash or detail the vehicles when they arrive on the truck.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well now I want to call the PC and see exactly what they do! Lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Any PCDers coming from ED? My car was in need of a bath when I dropped it off for re-delivery, I wonder if PCD cleans ED cars or not. It's possible they don't, seeing as how it would be much more involved since the car has been used inside and out. Being the OCD type, I'd rather wash it my myself.
      10-28-2011, 12:59 AM   #7
mikewills
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCP M3 View Post
Well now I want to call the PC and see exactly what they do! Lol.
I wonder if they leave the white plastic on the horizontal surfaces until 1-2 days before a delivery.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 07:35 AM   #8
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewills View Post
I wonder if they leave the white plastic on the horizontal surfaces until 1-2 days before a delivery.
Yes there is wax on the car from PCD. And from what I could tell mike, the plastic was taken off the car pretty soon after arrival and the cars sit on a lot behind the PCD center. I only say this because there were several 1M's sitting on the lot when I was there (like 6-7) and there was no sign of plastic. I looked at the thread for PDC dates, and it appeared that some people were 2+ weeks out.

All that being said though...the car looked amazing upon my receipt and inspection. People may be getting a wee-bit anal about the care of the car. I mean...I'm anal....REALLY anal. But I wouldn't concern myself too much about the first coat of wax. Just strip it off and put on the Zaino when you get home
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
Yes there is wax on the car from PCD. And from what I could tell mike, the plastic was taken off the car pretty soon after arrival and the cars sit on a lot behind the PCD center. I only say this because there were several 1M's sitting on the lot when I was there (like 6-7) and there was no sign of plastic. I looked at the thread for PDC dates, and it appeared that some people were 2+ weeks out.

All that being said though...the car looked amazing upon my receipt and inspection. People may be getting a wee-bit anal about the care of the car. I mean...I'm anal....REALLY anal. But I wouldn't concern myself too much about the first coat of wax. Just strip it off and put on the Zaino when you get home
I'll give you a run for your money on anal/OCDness...

I'm considering using my quart bag of liquids to carry wax/speedshine/rain-x with me instead of toiletries.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
mikewills
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:

I'm considering using my quart bag of liquids to carry wax/speedshine/rain-x with me instead of toiletries.
I may bring some ONR to mix up and some plush MF towels for a wipedown prior to taping. I've also thought about bringing a xenon dual LED lamp to look at the paint under light, so I can properly document any paint issues at the PCD. Not sure if I will wax.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post

How about swirl marks?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #12
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewills View Post
I may bring some ONR to mix up and some plush MF towels for a wipedown prior to taping. I've also thought about bringing a xenon dual LED lamp to look at the paint under light, so I can properly document any paint issues at the PCD. Not sure if I will wax.
ONR and MF are being brought for the same reason: clean surface to apply tape on. I think I'm going to spray-on wax the paint and Rejex the wheels to keep brake dust off them. Then some Rain-X on the windows, just because.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The Performance Center has a car wash. I didn't look hard at how it works but it is the drive through type, probably has rotating brushes but possibly not. The local BMWCCA club has had a couple autocrosses there and I've seen them using it. They might do some hand washing but it is inside the car wash building. We aren't doing it this year or I would be there soon to look.

Jim
      10-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #14
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:

Well, considering that with one trip to Ohio 2 things occurred:

1). An old man backed into my front bumper at Starbucks
2). I was stopped for roadwork when a backhoe dumped a rock onto my windshield, thus cracking my windshield. All JUST before my first run-in service.

This taught me a couple things...

A). no matter how anal I am, no one else gives a shit...so therefore you just can't keep anything nice.
B). F@^# it. Refer to A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
How about swirl marks?
lol. no swirl marks that i could/can see

Last edited by v1k0d3n; 10-28-2011 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0