BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #45
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SMB 50e | e92 n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
I'll chime in since the auto boxes should be identical in the 1 and 3 series. I am very pleased with the auto box in the 3 series, drive in manual sport all the time and it works great, up shifting faster than most manual drivers (been driving manuals all my life). Downshifts even faster. I shift at around redline at times and it feels awesome. In summary, it DOES NOT feel like most other auto boxes, as some have commented, probably haven't driven it the way it ought to be. When driven in manual sport (select S and have fun with the gears) you will have no regrets over a manual. GL!
Great thanks, I'll have to remember to try S mode during my test drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #46
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobeballer96 View Post
Agreed lol I used to live near manhattan, new york. I Drove in Paris this passed year and omg they drive Insane compared to NYC! Also drove in Bahrain too and they are wreck less there too. They make their own lanes YOLO! Haha.
haha! oh yeah i've been to Paris the driving there is a bit mad.....but THE WORST i've ever seen is in India. There are no words to describe the madness!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #47
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

A 135i was about 7k more than a 128i, in my area. I didn't want to spend that much on a car, and there were better buys at that price range (23k vs 30k).

I would say it really depends on what you want to do with the car. The 128i is plenty of car for street driving and having fun on back roads, even with an auto tranny. If you want to see big gains out of modding your car, the 135 is hands down the way to go. You wont see much of a gain out of any mod on a 128i. A modded 135i will keep up with just about anything on the street if that's what you're into.

I have plenty of fun with my 128i. Just the other day I found myself chasing down a new corvette on a winding back road. I just picked up a set of 235/40/r18 apex arc 8's from a user on this forum and I have to say the car handles like a freaking beast now. the car hugs just about any curve I throw it into.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 05:24 PM   #48
cmcdonald
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Actually I user to live in the NE and have driven in NYC and North Jersey a lot. Chicago on the Kennedy is way way worse. I would take the GW bridge any day over the Kennedy. But I digress. I do agree with others that the DCT is very annoying stop and go and I definitely wouldn't get one. The auto in DS is very happy in stop and go. If you can do the manual in stop and go then it is definitely the way to go. My sanity just can't handle it when it's 90% of my driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #49
michaelace
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i coupe

128i a/t

We bought a 2011 128i with the auto, no paddles.
It serves as a daily driver, the autocrosser on Sunday.
I like the trans, it has the manual shift option that holds the gear, unless you redline it, then it shifts up. picking the right gear is nice.
Left in D, driving easy, it shifts smothlly and seamlessly, with a quick downshift when you press the accelerator, flooring it aggressively (overcoming the pedal detent) gets the lowest gear possible under the redline.

At the autocross, I've been beating up on Mustangs, Camaros, 135i's, and even M3's (in the FS class). No mods, except lighter wheels and BFG Rivals.
The stock wheels are HEAVY. Tire rack for light wheels and Extreme Performance tires make the car even more nimble.

I have a 2006 corvette convertible Z51, manual, find myself choosing the BMW for most trips, esp. when going to the city, and in traffic.

Small size, light weight make for a fun package.......Buy one!

Mike McHugh
Red Line Oil dealer
Anson Race Cars, owner
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #50
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAddicts View Post
I have pretty much made up my mind that I want a 1 Series with Auto transmission. I test drove a 135i with DCT and loved it. I have recently been seeing some Auto 128i M-Sport in my area and have scheduled a test drive this Saturday.

I recently test drove a new 228i and was satisfied with the power delivery but prefer the looks of the 1 series.

Anyone here drive a 128i Auto can give me their impressions.
You asked for impressions on the auto 128 and when given you say you already made up your mind.

I went manual 128 and drive in only city traffic. unless you have a better reason for buying a way less exciting car for the same amount of money, Id beg you to reconsider.
      07-19-2014, 12:08 AM   #51
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

The auto is OK. Impressions of it can vary a lot because of the adaptive shifting. If you drive one that's been driven gently for a while, the shifts come early and are sluggish. Resetting the adaptive mode to the defaults crispens things up quite a bit. How long it stays there depends on how you drive. I believe it actually includes cornering speed in the complicated calculation.

DS is even more snappy, but pretty extreme. It holds gears for a long time and drops into cruise mode reluctantly.

The best of all worlds is to shift the auto manually. Crisp shifts (slightly and reproduceably delayed a fraction) at the rpms you want. Pretty intelligent, floor it and it shifts automatically at peak rpm. Downshifts automatically as you come to a stop. I shift manually when I'm seriously driving, and let the auto do its thing when I'm just going somewhere. DS when I'm in hooligan mode.

All in all a versatile transmission at the cost of some loss of full throttle acceleration.

The DCT is more responsive, but can be glitchy. The 135 has tons more power but is more expensive and has a less good record of reliability.

It's all a matter of tradeoffs and personal taste, not absolute right and wrong. I imagine test rides will help you far more than random opinions here. You might want to research here how to reset the adaptive transmission to the defaults.

Someone mentioned resale. A manual, being somewhat rare, will command a premium if you can find the right buyer. The auto will be easier to sell - more buyers. Particularly true for the less powerful 128.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 07-19-2014 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 05:55 AM   #52
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

For what it's worth, i drive my manual through NYC all the time and i sit on the expressway in traffic all the time. It's really not a big deal, it becomes second nature and you get used to it. At least i have a pedal and lever to play with while i'm bored and angry in traffic
      07-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #53
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly View Post
You asked for impressions on the auto 128 and when given you say you already made up your mind.
+1.
      07-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #54
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly View Post

I went manual 128 and drive in only city traffic. unless you have a better reason for buying a way less exciting car for the same amount of money, Id beg you to reconsider.
Trying to decide between Auto 128i and Auto(DCT) 135i. Want to get impressions on the Auto 128i from owners.

But yes I've made up my mind on getting an Auto. Not looking for any info on manuals at all.

Last edited by Matt 335is; 07-19-2014 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #55
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
The auto is OK. Impressions of it can vary a lot because of the adaptive shifting. If you drive one that's been driven gently for a while, the shifts come early and are sluggish. Resetting the adaptive mode to the defaults crispens things up quite a bit. How long it stays there depends on how you drive. I believe it actually includes cornering speed in the complicated calculation.

DS is even more snappy, but pretty extreme. It holds gears for a long time and drops into cruise mode reluctantly.

The best of all worlds is to shift the auto manually. Crisp shifts (slightly and reproduceably delayed a fraction) at the rpms you want. Pretty intelligent, floor it and it shifts automatically at peak rpm. Downshifts automatically as you come to a stop. I shift manually when I'm seriously driving, and let the auto do its thing when I'm just going somewhere. DS when I'm in hooligan mode.

All in all a versatile transmission at the cost of some loss of full throttle acceleration.

The DCT is more responsive, but can be glitchy. The 135 has tons more power but is more expensive and has a less good record of reliability.

It's all a matter of tradeoffs and personal taste, not absolute right and wrong. I imagine test rides will help you far more than random opinions here. You might want to research here how to reset the adaptive transmission to the defaults.

Someone mentioned resale. A manual, being somewhat rare, will command a premium if you can find the right buyer. The auto will be easier to sell - more buyers. Particularly true for the less powerful 128.
Thank you very informative. I'll look into more info on the reset of the adaptive transmission.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #56
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Shadow Edition

Quote:
Thank you very informative. I'll look into more info on the reset of the adaptive transmission.
Thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009484
      07-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #57
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I drive 128i automatics on several test drives because that was all that was available. Usually they were OK but on one test drive I needed to squirt through a hole in traffic.
But the lag scared me and I had to wait for a bigger hole. I'm sure I could get used to it but I didn't like it. The 128i has the nicest manual I've driven in over 40 years of driving. The automatic is OK but nothing special.
      07-19-2014, 11:48 PM   #58
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
The 128i has the nicest manual I've driven in over 40 years of driving. The automatic is OK but nothing special.
YES! and with a few mods they look great too!
Attached Images

07-20-2014, 01:20 AM   #59
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
Trying to decide between Auto 128i and Auto(DCT) 135i. Want to get impressions on the Auto 128i from owners.

But yes I've made up my mind on getting an Auto. Not looking for any info on manuals at all.
Not to sound like a broken record but I test drove a auto 128i before I ordered my manual. The auto transmission is as refined as something you would find in a Impala or Malibu, nothing to write home about.

If you are set on a auto why are you considering a 128i? Why not a 328i? or 335i? Something with a little more room would be beneficial if the primary purpose is going to be commuting. On several occasions I have wished my car had more trunk-space(rifles, golf clubs, hockey gear, etc) and passenger capacity. Food for thought.

Edit: I guess overall this thread is confusing, as I read this thread you ask for input, and then say you have made up your mind. When asking for input on comparing a GM Auto transmission vs a DCT you then say you will have to decide for yourself if it's worth it. It sounds to me like your mind is already made up and you are just looking for verification, not input.

Last edited by MarkkyyMan; 07-20-2014 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 06:26 AM   #60
EchoBravo9
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G05 X5 xDrive E50

I'm happy with my auto 128. I added a PE, lighter wheels and Pilot Super Sport A/S tires, and an intake system to allow the car's engine to be less restricted and reduce weight.
Lots of opinions, and why car manufacturers have hundreds of options. . . Each of these opinions are right for that specific person.
Find what's right for you - Quoted from Morpheus.
2013 Mineral Silver ext, on Ivory/Blk, Steptronic,Sport seats, prem pkg, cold pkg, tech pkg, Full front Xpel Paint Paint protection, Sunroof, 18? Style 313, Michelin Pilot A/S, PE, PS. Platinum warranty 84mos
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #61
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkyyMan View Post
Not to sound like a broken record but I test drove a auto 128i before I ordered my manual. The auto transmission is as refined as something you would find in a Impala or Malibu, nothing to write home about.

If you are set on a auto why are you considering a 128i? Why not a 328i? or 335i? Something with a little more room would be beneficial if the primary purpose is going to be commuting. On several occasions I have wished my car had more trunk-space(rifles, golf clubs, hockey gear, etc) and passenger capacity. Food for thought.

Edit: I guess overall this thread is confusing, as I read this thread you ask for input, and then say you have made up your mind. When asking for input on comparing a GM Auto transmission vs a DCT you then say you will have to decide for yourself if it's worth it. It sounds to me like your mind is already made up and you are just looking for verification, not input.
Yea, I can see how it looks like I'm looking for verification and subconsciously I probably am even tho I haven't made a purchase yet.

In the very first line of the original post I stated I have pretty much made up my mind that I'm getting an Auto 1 series. I am now trying to figure out which 1 series auto will suit me best... Auto 128i, Steptronic 135i, DCT 135i. Thus I have asked for opinions on the 128i Auto(not manual).

I am not getting a manual and have ruled that out completely.

I am extremely picky with cars and find the 1 Series the perfect size with amazing looks and a nice blend of sporty-luxury. I have no interest in a 3 series.

The other cars I was cross shopping are BMW 2 Series, VW GTI, Audi A5, MB C Class Coupe. I keep coming back to the 1 Series.

It seems that most 128i Auto owners love their cars and I was looking for additional input. I understand most enthusiasts are going to prefer a manual but that's not what I'm going to purchase... my mind is made up in that respect.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #62
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkyyMan View Post
The auto transmission is as refined as something you would find in a Impala or Malibu
Well it IS a GM tranny afterall.

I'm surprised it hasn't been recalled like everything else from GM lately.
      07-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #63
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Well it IS a GM tranny afterall.

I'm surprised it hasn't been recalled like everything else from GM lately.
      07-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #64
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcdonald View Post
You've obviously never driven in Chicago traffic. If you do that you end up having people constantly cut in front of you and you never go anywhere. I saw a, guy in a 911 doing that the other day. Even with traffic going as slow as it was he was out of site in my rear view mirror very quickly. Leaving a gap large enough for a car to get in front of you around here means a car will get in front of you. It sucks that people drive that way but it forces you to do it too if you want to get anywhere at all. I've actually driven a International with a, seven speed through Chicago when I was in college and I never did the slow roll thing even in that it just doesn't work here. I don't think I would want the DTC or SMG either as they are too jerking at slow speed for this traffic.
I hit the philly traffic on the way from work everyday and it works for me. I can see getting a double clutch transmission, but going with the GM auto in the 128i over the manual, I think you are robbing yourself of a lot of enjoyment
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 01:48 PM   #65
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep

^ +1. I use the slowroll in traffic without any issues with dick wads cutting in front if you leave too much space. The nice part about a manual is you can just stay in gear and use engine braking to slow down with traffic.
      07-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #66
E82.Love
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 128i AW

Love it. I drive a steptronic 09 128i. Sports package. I also have a manual one. Same drive.
Appreciate 0