BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-19-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
BimmerKid87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Update on my life

I know I've been saying I was going to wait 'till the summer to order my car, but my impatience is getting the best of me.

BMWs 0.9% apr caught my eye, so back to the dealer I went. First problem, '09 1 series has no special financing...problem 2, no '08s I like still available. Solution: test drive the 328i. First the coupe..I liked the coupe, but I can't swing the $40k right now, and my parents wont buy me a $40k car. Next up, 328i sedan. Like it well enough, but I think the styling is extremely bland + I'd have to get a stripper. The dealer was willing to deal and I got a decent amount of $$ off + 0.9%. Almost went for it, but I knew I'd regret it later.

Recently the MB C300 has caught my eye. While I know it's performance is lacking compared to the 1er, it looks SOOOO much classier. The styling alone almost justifies the purchase for me. That, combined with what I'm hoping to be a great deal, makes it worth considering.

My options right now are wait 'till BMW offers the financing on the 1er and order my car, which I'll enjoy driving but never really love to look at...buy a C300 (if I can get a great deal) which would probably bore me to drive, but I'm in love with the car while it's idle...or wait 'till the summer as I initially planned because I really dont know what I want.

I'm not sure which route I'll take, or why I bothered making a thread about my indecisiveness, but there you have it...
      11-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

What ever you do reconsider your MB thoughts.
Check out the reliability ratings around and you will see MB sucks.
I had a c320 and the car was in the shop at least 4-6 times a year for bs stuff that cost me hundreds!!!
BMW has no cost maintenance for the first 4 years! need i say more?
While these german trophy wives require much love, imho the bmw version doesnt carry as much bagage.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Honestly, if you can't decide then you're not ready. Wait until you're sure. I was this close to pulling the trigger on an Audi TT roadster, but in the back of my mind I had doubts about the DSG tranny. I kept telling myself I would like it, just as fast as a manual but no clutch in traffic, blah blah. At the last minute I backed out and ordered the 135i and I'm SOOO much more excited about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
lambammm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i montego/coral

you need to wait. i didn't, and ended up making a horrible decision buying a used and defective 335i with 3000 miles. long story short, i have the 135i now and i couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
BimmerKid87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Well I'm young and I've only purchased 3 cars so far, but each time I was REALLY excited about the purchase.

While I really like the 1 series, I'm not finding that I'm obsessing over it like I did when I was researching the Cooper S, and the past cars before that. I want that obsession again, and I can't seem to find it no matter where I look.

I have not driven the C300 yet, so maybe I'll prove myself wrong and fall in love with it...effectively making the decision for me. We shall see...
      11-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
BimmerKid87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgad View Post
What ever you do reconsider your MB thoughts.
Check out the reliability ratings around and you will see MB sucks.
I had a c320 and the car was in the shop at least 4-6 times a year for bs stuff that cost me hundreds!!!
BMW has no cost maintenance for the first 4 years! need i say more?
While these german trophy wives require much love, imho the bmw version doesnt carry as much bagage.
I wouldnt keep it beyond the warranty anyway so I'm not worried...as long as the dealer provides loaners! haha
      11-19-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
You havent found any exictment on the 135i really? How much time do u spend on here doing research if u dont mind me asking? I mean the 135i imho looks sexy and truly stands out being so rare (at least here where i live), the car has A LOT of potential and like Midgad said the Benz will be spending a lot of time in the shop, i used to work for Benz and after I saw both shops in Benz full almost all the time I never even thought bout one, and yes BMW does have the 4 Year no cost maintence as well and BMW gives loaner cars to... if you have any questions ask us man well def. try to help u find the excitment your looking for.

BMW AW 135i ZMP:6mt,Coral Red Leather,Silver Matte Trim,Heated Front Seats,I-Drive,HD Radio,Ipod/Usb,Comf.Acces
www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
BimmerKid87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_TT View Post
You havent found any exictment on the 135i really? How much time do u spend on here doing research if u dont mind me asking? I mean the 135i imho looks sexy and truly stands out being so rare (at least here where i live), the car has A LOT of potential and like Midgad said the Benz will be spending a lot of time in the shop, i used to work for Benz and after I saw both shops in Benz full almost all the time I never even thought bout one, and yes BMW does have the 4 Year no cost maintence as well and BMW gives loaner cars to... if you have any questions ask us man well def. try to help u find the excitment your looking for.
I've driven the 135i twice with the sport package and a manual. While its no doubt awesome, I still never had that "wow, i NEED this car" feeling.

Plus the 135i is $40k+ the way i want it + no special financing. Too much, I'm a college kid.

ps...I used to get on here at least a couple times a day, but its been gradually tapering off.
      11-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #9
imported_erick
normally aspirated
Rep
Drives: 128i

IMO if you have to have your parents help you and you can't do it on your own, just wait.

The mini is a great car though!
      11-19-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
BimmerKid87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
IMO if you have to have your parents help you and you can't do it on your own, just wait.

The mini is a great car though!
Well if I had to wait till I could afford a car on my own I'd be waiting a WHILE. I'm barely a junior, I still have 2 years left to get a degree...then I'll likely continue my education for a couple years after that. I'm still a kid, so I can justify taking the handouts. If I was 30, I'd be re-evaluating my life.

And the Mini is a great car, It's just really uncomfortable. I'm beyond ready for a more relaxing car to drive. Plus it's still worth a lot because they're so in demand right now...good time to trade.
      11-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #11
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

This is an interesting issue.

Did I get the 135 because I loved it? Or because I had to have it? As it turned out, no.

In fact, I was more excited about getting my current car, my 2006 CTS-V than about the 135. And, don't get me wrong, I'm going to miss the Caddy when I sell it. But, after 3 years it's time to move on.

But, what the 135 gave me was:
  • A more chuckable size. Smaller and lighter is something I missed since I had my 2001 e46 330i. The Caddy, though plenty powerful, was a little porky.
  • Confidence. I've had very good luck with BMW in the past and so far so good. Nothing I've seen so far concerns me.
  • Modern technology. I like CA, iPod integration and a more modern Nav.
  • Great fuel economy vs performance. The V-8 was thirsty, the I6 TT is quite a bit better.
I like the 135 a great deal and will probably come to love it. There's a lot about BMW that they just "get right." It's not easy to enumerate or describe, but the car feels instantly comfortable, easy to drive, etc. I don't think you can go wrong with the 135 - as long as you don't need a "usable" back seat. :smile:
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #12
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Just out of curiosity, did the love of your Mini vanish? The Cooper and Cooper S are both fantastic drives, handle like go-carts, great fuel economy and are relatively inexpensive to insure.

If you're not blown away by a new car, maybe the Mini should stick around in your garage. There's no reason you *need* to get rid of it. Pay it off and enjoy the extra money in you pocket, let it add up, and maybe something will come along in the future and you can jump with no regrets.

Or you could consider putting a little money into your Mini to make that much more unique.
      11-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
BimmerKid87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5Ti View Post
Just out of curiosity, did the love of your Mini vanish? The Cooper and Cooper S are both fantastic drives, handle like go-carts, great fuel economy and are relatively inexpensive to insure.

If you're not blown away by a new car, maybe the Mini should stick around in your garage. There's no reason you *need* to get rid of it. Pay it off and enjoy the extra money in you pocket, let it add up, and maybe something will come along in the future and you can jump with no regrets.

Or you could consider putting a little money into your Mini to make that much more unique.
It's an odd story. I've been casually looking at new cars for at least a few months, but I was never serious because I still wasn't ready to let go of the Mini. I had it in for scheduled maintenance a couple weeks ago and they gave me a new Jetta as a rental. When they called me to tell me they were running behind and had to keep my car an extra day I was thrilled. When They called to tell me my Mini was ready to be picked up, I wasn't ready to give the Jetta back.

When I was reluctant to give back an $18k Jetta in exchange for my near $30k Cooper S, I knew my love for it was obviously not what it once was.

I guess I just want more room and a more relaxing drive...and something a little more flashy (the 128s biggest shortcoming). Maybe the Mercedes will be perfect...who knows.
      11-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #14
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

+1 for sitting still right now. Later on, you will look back, and agree.

But, after dealing with 4000-plus teenagers in my classroom for the last 33 years, I understand that waiting doesn't always happen.

Just make the decision you can live with later.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #15
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G5Ti View Post

I agree with him.. but I think you should drive the Benz first and if that car isn't what you expect than maybe you should wait and keep your Mini since you dont "need" a new car like ^ said as well.. I do understand you though about not having that "wow... i need to get this car!" feeling though, we all have diffrent taste and different expectations, I did get that wow feeling that you didnt and I test drove almost every brand besides Lexus but like i said we all have different taste.. I know what you mean bout the Jetta, lol. I drove loaded TDI(I wasnt looking for power when I bought it) and bought it the next day $33k theyre different and nice... Out of curiousity have you thought about the R32?

BMW AW 135i ZMP:6mt,Coral Red Leather,Silver Matte Trim,Heated Front Seats,I-Drive,HD Radio,Ipod/Usb,Comf.Acces
www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #16
BimmerKid87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMoe53 View Post
+1 for sitting still right now. Later on, you will look back, and agree.

But, after dealing with 4000-plus teenagers in my classroom for the last 33 years, I understand that waiting doesn't always happen.

Just make the decision you can live with later.
I agree. I'm gonna wait until I find the perfect match. I think I'm pretty close to ruling out a bmw right now. The 1 and 3 aren't doing it for me..at least not enough to justify dropping $35-40k. I'll probably go test drive the C300 sometime this week...if It's the right car, I'll know..if I'm uncertain...then I'll put this to rest and focus on school until summer rolls around.
      11-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #17
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

The Cooper S is a great car for a college kid. I'm 22 and have an Integra, which I would consider similar from a size, power, fuel economy, etc. standpoint. Like you, I'm in college. I suggest you hold on to the Cooper S until you graduate. It saves you money because it gets good mileage and you don't get stuck driving your friends around everywhere simply because they all won't fit. Are you sure you're not drawn to the BMW or to the Jetta Plus just because of their novelty? Don't get a new car because you want something new. Get it because you want the car. Otherwise there's a good chance you're going to find yourself in the same position in 6 months or a year. Finally, personally, I don't think its right to ask the parents for a brand new BMW, especially if you're already on your 3rd car. Hang on to the Cooper S, save your parents some money, and you'll probably reap the benefits in the form of a nice graduation present.

Oh, and just so my sig doesn't make me look like a hypocrit, I'm graduating in December, have 14 year old car that I've had for almost 7 years, and landed a well-paying job. Graduation present to myself for my hard work
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #18
BimmerKid87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I agree with him.. but I think you should drive the Benz first and if that car isn't what you expect than maybe you should wait and keep your Mini since you dont "need" a new car like ^ said as well.. I do understand you though about not having that "wow... i need to get this car!" feeling though, we all have diffrent taste and different expectations, I did get that wow feeling that you didnt and I test drove almost every brand besides Lexus but like i said we all have different taste.. I know what you mean bout the Jetta, lol. I drove loaded TDI(I wasnt looking for power when I bought it) and bought it the next day $33k theyre different and nice... Out of curiousity have you thought about the R32?
I have, but it lacks the flashiness I want. I tend to be really outgoing and I want a car that gets noticed...I'd feel really shitty about paying $30k+ for a car most will mistake for a Rabbit...as egotistical as that sounds.
      11-19-2008, 11:45 PM   #19
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Get a used Lotus dude! That cars almost perfect.

www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 11:46 PM   #20
BimmerKid87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
The Cooper S is a great car for a college kid. I'm 22 and have an Integra, which I would consider similar from a size, power, fuel economy, etc. standpoint. Like you, I'm in college. I suggest you hold on to the Cooper S until you graduate. It saves you money because it gets good mileage and you don't get stuck driving your friends around everywhere simply because they all won't fit. Are you sure you're not drawn to the BMW or to the Jetta Plus just because of their novelty? Don't get a new car because you want something new. Get it because you want the car. Otherwise there's a good chance you're going to find yourself in the same position in 6 months or a year. Finally, personally, I don't think its right to ask the parents for a brand new BMW, especially if you're already on your 3rd car. Hang on to the Cooper S, save your parents some money, and you'll probably reap the benefits in the form of a nice graduation present.

Oh, and just so my sig doesn't make me look like a hypocrit, I'm graduating in December, have 14 year old car that I've had for almost 7 years, and landed a well-paying job. Graduation present to myself for my hard work
All good points. One correction however...I'm not drawn to the Jetta at all. I'd never buy one, and I'd take the Mini any day over it. What I was drawn to was the roominess and ride comfort the Jetta provided.

Also, I'm not asking my parents for a new car...I'm just asking for help. I'll def contribute at least 50%.
      11-19-2008, 11:47 PM   #21
BimmerKid87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Get a used Lotus dude! That cars almost perfect.
I'm sick of the Cooper S because of the harsh ride and lack of space. While the Elise/Exige is AWESOME, that would make my current problem even worse. :biggrin:

When I'm 35 and can afford many cars, I'd be so down for a Lotus.

I'm REALLY loving the C300 Sport more and more with each passing minute...I think it's my best fit. Roomy, VERY comfortable, flashy, sporty, offers a manual, perfect styling, etc...I PRAY it drives nice & I can get a good deal on one.
      11-19-2008, 11:53 PM   #22
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Kool kool. Well I wish you luck on your car search and also in school! Keep us posted on ur choice!

www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0