BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
heyimsam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

First track day in the 135i Roebling Road Raceway

Well I just got back from a long weekend at Roebling Road in Savannah Georgia. If you guys are near by and have never been there I would highly recommend it the track is awesome and seat-time.com which is the group we went with was very organized and put together a great event. Especially because there were only about twenty cars both days so we got a lot of seat time (no pun intended).
Any ways just my two cents but I thought I would share about how I felt the car did.
The power was there and by the end of the day two days my fastest lap was a 1:30.1 seconds which I don’t think is to bad for a 100% stock 135i. I did however notice that by mid day on the second day the brake feel became very questionable at times and I was unsure of if it was going to actually have a brake pedal. Which isn’t too good when you reach brake marker 5 at turn one doing 141 mph.
also the other thing i noticed that was a bit unsettling was the fact that when you turned the car in it would push slightly then go where you wanted it to, but when you were resuming power to throttle out of the corner instead of being a nice solid feeling the car would wobble around a bit. Although I never felt the car was loosing traction the suspension just didn’t like to sit itself under a load for too long.
Not to be a downer or anything so i am going to say this with a good brake fluid n pads. rims tires and maybe if u wanted suspension this thing would feel very incredible.
But if you don’t want to do any of that and still go out there and race around this car is still a blast the whole two days I had a dorky smile on my face and was so excited to have the 1 out on the track. It is a great car and with a little work would be phenomenal. Hopefully there were pictures taken and if there were I will posr them up for everyone to see.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
racer01
Private
Rep
Drives: 09' 335i sedan, 2011 M3 ZCP

I was there on Friday. Were you in the white 135i? I came out to instruct for my cousin on his first track day, and brought my wife's 335i (silver sedan) out to see how it would do at the track.

It was great weather, and I too loved the plentiful seat time. Jon runs a first class event with his dad Ray, and I have always enjoyed the relaxed nature of his events.

Did you happen to talk with the dude in the grey 135i? He seemed to really be haulin' booty down the front straight the few times that I saw him. I meant to ask him if he was running a JB3, PROcede, or whatever.

A 1:30 lap is a very respectable for a stock 135i at Roebling.

Geoff
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
heyimsam
Second Lieutenant
Rep

hey man great to meet you. I came with the noble m400 my 135i and a buddy of mine who is just learning in the 335i. I tried to see who you were but I had no idea who was driving that car haha. You seemed pretty quick though from what I remember I think I timed you as well. I know I got into the mid to high 28's at the end of the day but my phone which i was using as the timer ran out of battery uGHHHHH so frustrating because I know I dropped my time a lot!!

Also I did talk to the guy with the silver 135 he was running Dinan software on race gas!! I think he said in the 405hp range. His car was really quick I think with that set up he was running 26's around there!!

Also I think Roebling would be a great place to get a huge BMW meet, because we came from Orlando, but if could get enough Bmw's up there I would definitely come back.. Plus like you said Jon and Ray were so awesome I would love to get seat-time in on that !!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
racer01
Private
Rep

I also agree with what you said in your original post regarding the potential of these cars with some decent tires and a more track oriented suspension.

For example, my best time in the 335i at Roebling was two months ago on the original runflats at a 1:26.9. My old E36 M3 (240hp) also did about 1:27's stock, but with coilovers and r-compound tires did a high 1:22, and could turn 1:23's and low 1:24's all day.

With some R-compound tires and some decent coilovers with camber plates I think the 135i/335i would surprise some folks. Of course then you would need a "real" LSD, a race seat to hold you in place, etc, etc. It's a slipery slope....I am staying dead stock
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #5
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer01 View Post
It's a slipery slope....I am staying dead stock
That will last until you try my JB3.........
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
heyimsam
Second Lieutenant
Rep

haha true I bet the jb3 turns the car into a monster. Idk what my first mods will be, but I have a couple cars now with very high hp so I think I am going to take the 1 in another direction mean : suspension, brakes rims n tires and see how it does. If my guess is correct I was probably in the mid 1:28s by the end of the day so I would like to get down to low twentys with stock hp and the right suspension set up hopefully.

Also how did you guys feel about the seat I was very dissapointed in where it held me while I was racing. I found myself working really hard to keep me centered because the seat wrapped around half of my side instead of all the way around me, and I am not that big of a guy 5'10 190 lbs
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

The sport package seats are pretty good, as stock seats go. MUCH better than the seats in the C6 Vette I drove the same day at Roebling.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
racer01
Private
Rep

After having several track cars with dedicated race seats, it is really tough to go back to any type of stock seat for track use. It is just like brake pads, tires, safety equipment etc. What works on the track, usually sucks on the street and vice versa.

Although the 335i "works" at the track ok, I still wish I had kept my last miata race car for the occasional track day. Even with 116hp, it was still more fun than any street car...didn't overheat or use up tires and brakes, and still managed to turn 1:27's around Roebling. Even better is that I had <$10k invested, so I felt more comfortable pushing the limits knowing you have no insurance coverage at the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
heyimsam
Second Lieutenant
Rep

haha very true I absolutley love miatas I think they are great, and like you said you can have a care free day at the track and push the car hard!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Wow...my mother lives right up the road in Port Royal, SC and I didn't even know about Roebling until now....wow....now I am even more excited to go home and see about this track!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #11
heyimsam
Second Lieutenant
Rep

definitley go check it out, you will love it!!!
Appreciate 0