BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-09-2024, 05:27 PM   #1
Luxury
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: A4 1.8TQM, 135is DCT

Garage List
DIY - 5AC High Beam Assistant Retrofit (all Genuine parts)

Hello, I added HBA to my car. It was super simple and not uneconomical. A pretty neat feature imo. I already have options 319, 4NA, 431 standard.
Name:  IMG_5156.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  599.2 KB
The components I needed were:
Rearview mirror with sensor/FLA module - 51169225980
Rearview mirror cover - 51169219140
Adapter (wire taps) - 61138364566
Connector - 61138377072
Wire - 61130005197 x2!

Disconnect battery and keep trunk open. Remove your old mirror cover, mirror, and the dome light assembly. I used the unscrewing the countersupport for the sun visors method to lower the headliner and access the dome light method. worked great.

With everything removed, I ran the two new wires through the rubber grommet going the dome light to mirror direction. After I pulled the first one through, I marked it using a sliver of electrical tape on both ends. Then the second without markings. This is how I identified which I plugged into the H or L Can connector (spots 1&2). I had 6 inches pulled on the mirror side of the grommet. Next, I plugged the first wire with tape into the spot 1 on the blue connector and the unmarked wire in spot 2. Once connected, I twisted the assembly and 6 inches like CAN Wires are normally. I had to hold the wire ends at the dome light side of the grommet to stop them from spinning. Once satisfied with the twist pull the twisted assembly until there's an inch or so on the mirror side of the grommet, then twist the rest of the wiring. leave an .5 - 1 inch untwisted. We need flexibility to tap into the CAN lines.

The leftmost connector that isn't the itty bitty one for the microphone? has a bright green and orange with green line wires. There is fabric tape that keeps the connector tightly wound. Remove and inch of the that by simple unwinding. I'd verify you have the right wires for CAN, I think I traced them just far enough to see them twist so I knew that was the right green one to tap.

On my mirror, spot one that the connector plugged into was a yellow wire. Below that in spot 2 was a dark green wire. Yellow connects to Orange, Dark green connects to bright green. We marked spot 1 wire with tape. So grab that wire at the end and remove the tape, then insert it into the wire tap. Feel free to have a 1/4 inch stick out the end. The tap, on the all plastic half, has a spot where it will hold both wires before the metal half claps onto them. Then isolate the orange CAN wire and place it in the wire tap. Once both are seated, pinch it together. I start it by hand then use a pliers to finish it. The plastic half seats entirely in the metal half.
Do the same process with the unmarked wire and green CAN wire.

Next attach your new mirror and plug in the connectors. Then install your new mirror cover, it is kind of finicky.
I used BMW fabric tape to keep the twisted pair next to the harness.
Then reinstall the dome light assembly.

AS for the coding. I can't help much. I had Evan Goyuk code 5AC to my VO and amongst the other things I had him do, I believe the other things people say need coding figured themselves out with just the VO change. The setting appeared in my CIC immediately.
I had a few codes relating to CAN but deleted them and they have not reappeared.
Name:  IMG_5159.JPG
Views: 6
Size:  64.9 KBName:  IMG_5160.JPG
Views: 6
Size:  62.2 KB Name:  IMG_5162.JPG
Views: 5
Size:  73.0 KB

Thanks for reading. I hope you may enjoy this feature too.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Subframe Bushings | 1M Strut Bar | MPSS - BMW 313M's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | #341/586

Last edited by Luxury; 05-09-2024 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0