BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Coilover Making Noise After Dealer Service

I dropped my car off at the dealer to have my water pump replaced. About an hour after picking up the car, I heard a strange squeaking noise coming from the front passenger side wheel well. The noise sounds like it's coming from the coilover and can be heard when pushing down on the corner of the car. There was zero noise before the water pump replacement. Does anyone know if replacing the water pump requires removal of any part of the front suspension?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
jdm135
Rep
Drives: none

you dont have to remove anything from the suspension to do the water pump
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm135 View Post
you dont have to remove anything from the suspension to do the water pump
You only need to remove the two inside mounting brackets on the sway bar. The sway bar will drop down and hang from the end links and you will have access to the water pump.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Bordia
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 2009 135I

Check position of your spring on both the pads, I have seen coil overs that allow the spring to freely rotate when suspension is decompressed. It may be possible that your spring rotated and is sitting wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordia View Post
Check position of your spring on both the pads, I have seen coil overs that allow the spring to freely rotate when suspension is decompressed. It may be possible that your spring rotated and is sitting wrong.
Thanks. The dealer managed to fold and pinch the thrust sheet. I straightened it out and lined it up properly on the spring perch. Problem solved. BTW, my worthless dealer kept the car for a day and couldn't figure out the problem they caused. Took me 2 minutes to pull the wheel and identify the problem. Maybe they should have a SIB on using your eyes and ears to locate a problem.
Appreciate 0