E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Why BMW really is ahead of Mercedes

12-03-2005, 05:06 AM   #1
DK_12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Why BMW really is ahead of Mercedes

In an earlier post, Spitfire, mentioned how MB's offer more horsepower and torque in their automobiles, specifically the V-8 and AMG engines. I don't know the specifications of the previous V-8 from MB, but I do know the BMW V-8 has offered more horsepower and still does for many years now. Has this guy thought about it the other way, that BMW is ahead and MB is finally catching up after numerous years? Yes the new S-class will be more powerful but in a few years an all new 7-series will be introduced. As far as the CL and SL AMG's, the 55's are less powerful than the M5 and 30-35k more as well. The 65's are out of the question since they are approximately 100k more. The naturally aspirated, 5.0l M5 engine produces 507hp, over 100hp/liter. The supercharged, 5.5l CL/SL AMG engine produces 493hp, so I don't know why he is so impressed with the MB. What's impressive is the 100hp/liter in the M3 and M5. If he think's BMW can't produce a more powerful engine than he's going crazy. They don't for now because they don't have to. Next with the varying suspension, I don't think he's checked out the M5? I think they offer three different modes so he can't be complaining about a super stiff ride all the time. As far as MB handling, since when does a MB's have no body roll and handle like a sports car? I have driven an E-class and an SL and they have plenty of roll, soft suspension and a complete lack of road feel. I'm sure most of the people here would agree too. Next with reliability, how does the JD power and other survey of thousands become "meaningless" and his little experience become credible? He just killed himself on that one. Well I just ran into his comparison with the M3 and CLK55...the CLK55 has 30hp more, not 80, and it costs almost 30k more than the M3. Now with the issue of MB being an old man's car, it IS. Just because he knows a few young people that drive something higher than a C-class, he thinks that accounts for the thousands of MB owners. Even in my hometown of Southern California where many young people drive MB's, it still doesn't come close to the amount of older people. I'm sure others would tell you the same in their part of the country. A MB might not look or be styled like an old man's car, but the majority of buyers are higher in age. Yeah so what if 99% of BMW owners aren't taking their cars to the track? 99% of MB owners aren't drag racing either. And just to clear things up, an S500 costs approximately 10k more than the 750. So he thinks just because people buy 60k cars, that all of them have money, or extra money to spare to fix expensive problems? Man he is completely oblivious to everything that's going on. It's more than just the money. Dealing with all the other hassles is a pain in the ass. But like someone said ealier this is all business. Just like any other business, BMW is here to make money by selling cars. And they are doing that well, as recent sales reports show strong numbers, while MB is struggling. We all know BMW could make more powerful cars if they wanted but I'm sure there are reasons why they don't. I think MB is getting beaten at their own game. MB was built as a luxury car that offered quality and prestige, but you get a lot less of that now. BMW continues to offer the best driving cars in their class, in addition to luxury and slightly better reliability. So I think BMW is ahead of Mercedes.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 05:10 AM   #2
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
YO man, hurry up and edit your post before E90POST English 101 members come after you.

and.. MB is better. come on now.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 05:13 AM   #3
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I agree completely with supadan.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 05:31 AM   #4
RD Sport
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives: from Deutchland

IMO, Both BMW and MB are making wonderful cars. I have to say even though the M5 has more horsepower on paper than AMG55 kompressor engines but AMG pumps out alot more torque. Usually comparing BMW and MB engines, BMW usually has the upper hand on horsepower and MB always pumps out more torque so it's difficult to say which is better. They are completely different engines V8 Kompressor vs V10.

One thing is for sure. The sportiness of both of them are getting closer. I driven E36 and now drive a E90 330i. I am sure that the E36 had the better steering feel and more "raw" handling compare to E90.

For MB, they have airmatic and ABC system which if you choose the sportiest setting. There is extremely less roll and the car stays flat during fast cornering.

To sum it up. Both cars are wonderfully built and I don't mind if I am having both of them :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 06:04 AM   #5
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by supadan
We all know BMW could make more powerful cars if they wanted but I'm sure there are reasons why they don't. ...... So I think BMW is ahead of Mercedes.

Do we? What reasons? In what way?
I have no comments on your other points, I see that MB is more speed to market than BMW.
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 06:05 AM   #6
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

No worries
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 08:35 AM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I wanted to read your post, I really did. Have you ever heard of a paragraph?

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 08:42 AM   #8
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

My favorite was: "...my hometown of Southern California..."
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 09:14 AM   #9
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I have nothing against Mercedes per se, but I would not drive around in a car that has word "Compressor" on it. How lame. Don't they realize how pitifully stupid that sounds?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 09:30 AM   #10
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Style, new S class copied the 7
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 09:35 AM   #11
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntlaw
Do we? What reasons? In what way?
I have no comments on your other points, I see that MB is more speed to market than BMW.
Dunno about points 2 and 3, but BMW demonstrated they could make a more powerful engine than anything in their current line-up with the McLaren F1 engine, which pumped out around 640bhp.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 09:37 AM   #12
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by supadan
In an earlier post, Spitfire, mentioned how MB's offer more horsepower and torque in their automobiles, specifically the V-8 and AMG engines. I don't know the specifications of the previous V-8 from MB, but I do know the BMW V-8 has offered more horsepower and still does for many years now. Has this guy thought about it the other way, that BMW is ahead and MB is finally catching up after numerous years? Yes the new S-class will be more powerful but in a few years an all new 7-series will be introduced. As far as the CL and SL AMG's, the 55's are less powerful than the M5 and 30-35k more as well. The 65's are out of the question since they are approximately 100k more. The naturally aspirated, 5.0l M5 engine produces 507hp, over 100hp/liter. The supercharged, 5.5l CL/SL AMG engine produces 493hp, so I don't know why he is so impressed with the MB. What's impressive is the 100hp/liter in the M3 and M5. If he think's BMW can't produce a more powerful engine than he's going crazy. They don't for now because they don't have to. Next with the varying suspension, I don't think he's checked out the M5? I think they offer three different modes so he can't be complaining about a super stiff ride all the time. As far as MB handling, since when does a MB's have no body roll and handle like a sports car? I have driven an E-class and an SL and they have plenty of roll, soft suspension and a complete lack of road feel. I'm sure most of the people here would agree too. Next with reliability, how does the JD power and other survey of thousands become "meaningless" and his little experience become credible? He just killed himself on that one. Well I just ran into his comparison with the M3 and CLK55...the CLK55 has 30hp more, not 80, and it costs almost 30k more than the M3. Now with the issue of MB being an old man's car, it IS. Just because he knows a few young people that drive something higher than a C-class, he thinks that accounts for the thousands of MB owners. Even in my hometown of Southern California where many young people drive MB's, it still doesn't come close to the amount of older people. I'm sure others would tell you the same in their part of the country. A MB might not look or be styled like an old man's car, but the majority of buyers are higher in age. Yeah so what if 99% of BMW owners aren't taking their cars to the track? 99% of MB owners aren't drag racing either. And just to clear things up, an S500 costs approximately 10k more than the 750. So he thinks just because people buy 60k cars, that all of them have money, or extra money to spare to fix expensive problems? Man he is completely oblivious to everything that's going on. It's more than just the money. Dealing with all the other hassles is a pain in the ass. But like someone said ealier this is all business. Just like any other business, BMW is here to make money by selling cars. And they are doing that well, as recent sales reports show strong numbers, while MB is struggling. We all know BMW could make more powerful cars if they wanted but I'm sure there are reasons why they don't. I think MB is getting beaten at their own game. MB was built as a luxury car that offered quality and prestige, but you get a lot less of that now. BMW continues to offer the best driving cars in their class, in addition to luxury and slightly better reliability. So I think BMW is ahead of Mercedes.
100% with you on this!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 09:42 AM   #13
Mikey3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90..... soon....

i like both cars

each have there good points, i chose bmw cos its cheaper

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 09:52 AM   #14
bmwczech
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i Alpine White

I see where you are coming from supadan. You make some good points.
I don't know why I am responding to this post since I have never owned a MB and I will be receiving my e90 in a few weeks, but I can at least comment on what I have heard from my buddies that have owned them.
I have heard from some of my friends on some of the unrealible aspects of their MBs. In consmer reports MB doesn't do well while BMW does better, particularily the 3 series. On the other hand my friends that own BMWs have been very pleased and have said they are quite reliable.
I have heard that MB has had some real qaulity issues over recent years which I am sure most of you have heard of.
For me personally when I was deciding to purchase a car, I really looked closely at the MB C Class vs the BMW e90. After driving both I was clear on what I liked more, but I have to say the MB was quite nice. I can see why the MB would appeal to an older consumer. The MB drove quite smooth and looked more luxurious inside.
At the end of the day I think both Auto Makers do a great job of engineering their cars but I can't say one is ahead of the other. They are competitors and they will continue to push the envelope to become better which is good for us consumers.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 10:27 AM   #15
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
You took the words right out of my mouth...
      12-03-2005, 10:31 AM   #16
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA
You took the words right out of my mouth...

MEATLOAF
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 10:38 AM   #17
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

OMG ..............................!

Dude, PLEASE edit your post and put in paragraphs, I can't/won't read that mess.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 10:41 AM   #18
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Lol my thoughts exactly. I have no intentions of deciphering that mess.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 12:19 PM   #19
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Ilikereadingthingsthatareproperlyspacedandbrokendo wnsomysimplisticmindcancomprehendthatjumble

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 12:30 PM   #20
chrissal1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

hehe...too funny. I gave up after the second line. Even then I only had one eye open
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 12:42 PM   #21
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Great post, supadan. I could not agree more. Spitfire was not comparing cars in the same price range.

In general MB makes comfortable cushy cars for old people that are adverse to cars that are oriented to performance priority like BMW. Also as an architect I will comment on the exterior and interior of the new MB S-Class. The exterior is a confused aesthetic pig. The dash is even more confused and more ugly if that is possible. The integration of the display with the balance of the dash is muddled at best. Is Mercedes capable of producing great cars? Yes they are. But the new S-Class is a confused, muddled grab bag of ideas that is very disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 01:19 PM   #22
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding
In general MB makes comfortable cushy cars for old people that are adverse to cars that are oriented to performance priority like BMW. Also as an architect I will comment on the exterior and interior of the new MB S-Class. The exterior is a confused aesthetic pig. The dash is even more confused and more ugly if that is possible. The integration of the display with the balance of the dash is muddled at best. Is Mercedes capable of producing great cars? Yes they are. But the new S-Class is a confused, muddled grab bag of ideas that is very disappointing.
Sound like the judge said " That's a first degree murder, the new S-class architect should be sentenced to death."
I only wish I could be one of those old people and own one of these new ugly S-class.
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0