05-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post

Might I suggest that you x-post this into general 1addicts? More people would be able to benefit from your troubles.
We don't really need TWO of these threads do we? I deleted the OP new thread. Anyone who runs a "search" on lowing seats will find this thread.

Dack
Appreciate 1
Paco1M101.50
      05-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #24
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Van Driver View Post
News to me !

This is what I understood the guidelines for MOT tests in th UK were/are :

The driver's and the front passenger's seats must be secure. Check

All seat backs must be securable in the upright position. Check

In any event, the passenger seat mounting is standard and thus retains ALL its functions. The drivers seat moves forward as a result of the way it functions when it is raised.
Not sure if the back section still tilts forward (I suspect not, but will test it tomorrow)

Either way, if/when I fit Pole Positions there may be some furrowed brows down at the test centre

The new regs coming state the drivers seats must have the ability to slide back and forth, an exception to this will be purpose built road legal trackday cars and this will come under the discretion of the MOT tester, passenger seat can be fixed.....My mate who does all my MOT's was giving me the low down of what is coming.......
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #25
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
We don't really need TWO of these threads do we? I deleted the OP new thread. Anyone who runs a "search" on lowing seats will find this thread.

Dack
Should it not be moved into DIY instead of sitting here, then?

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #26
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VO1MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
The new regs coming state the drivers seats must have the ability to slide back and forth, an exception to this will be purpose built road legal trackday cars and this will come under the discretion of the MOT tester, passenger seat can be fixed.....My mate who does all my MOT's was giving me the low down of what is coming.......
Thanks A In L. I'll cross that ^ bridge when I come to it . . . . For the time being, I'll enjoy it !

The Pole Positions can be mounted on fore/aft runners anyway as they'll be good and low to start off with !
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 05:38 PM   #27
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I run pole positions in my opc, well actually I have pretty much sold em now to be replaced by profi spg's, and I run the runners on the drivers seat and mounted the passenger seat lower directly to the floor, the pole positions are much lower than then performance seat so that would be my recommendation if you are wanting low as I also find them comfortable on the longer drives to and from the ring, just a bit of a bitch if you still want to use the back seats even with the runners.....I don't have back seats in my opc.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #28
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
I run pole positions in my opc, well actually I have pretty much sold em now to be replaced by profi spg's, and I run the runners on the drivers seat and mounted the passenger seat lower directly to the floor, the pole positions are much lower than then performance seat so that would be my recommendation if you are wanting low as I also find them comfortable on the longer drives to and from the ring, just a bit of a bitch if you still want to use the back seats even with the runners.....I don't have back seats in my opc.
I've had the odd 964 RS over the last ten years, whilst their seats are subtly different than the PPs, they're not a million miles apart. The seats in the '64 RS are THE most comfortable seats I've sat in.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #29
YepItsHugo29
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
awesome write-up and instructions!! that's one thing i wish this forum had a little more of...step-by-step how-to's. they are so beneficial. good job, and thanks for the input!
Totally agree! ^^

I stand behind my decision.
[
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #30
PaulMcA
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

Just a quick resurrection.... I collected my 1M yesterday, I had the performance seats fitted and asked for them to be put on the lowest bolt seating.... I think they have done it. I am still very disappointed that I feel as though I am sitting on the car and too high rather than in it! I have measured the top front of the seat bolster from the floor and it measures 9.5". Is this on the lowest bolt seating?
I am 6'3", so tall, but not excessive.
Bit gutted and is ruining initial ownership. Any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #31
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcA View Post
Just a quick resurrection.... I collected my 1M yesterday, I had the performance seats fitted and asked for them to be put on the lowest bolt seating.... I think they have done it. I am still very disappointed that I feel as though I am sitting on the car and too high rather than in it! I have measured the top front of the seat bolster from the floor and it measures 9.5". Is this on the lowest bolt seating?
I am 6'3", so tall, but not excessive.
Bit gutted and is ruining initial ownership. Any recommendations?
Pole positions
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #32
mtechnik3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I wish the factory setting would go a bit lower. I'm 6'3" and the seating position is too high in my 1 Series (especially with a helmet on).
      10-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #33
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnik3 View Post
I wish the factory setting would go a bit lower. I'm 6'3" and the seating position is too high in my 1 Series (especially with a helmet on).
Any chance your car is with power seats? Cause they loose 3 cm. (1 inch) to manuals in terms of space, quite noticeable difference. Even with manual seats we sure don't have real low seating in a 1 series though.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #34
mtechnik3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Any chance your car is with power seats? Cause they loose 3 cm. (1 inch) to manuals in terms of space, quite noticeable difference. Even with manual seats we sure don't have real low seating in a 1 series though.
I have power seats... wasn't aware there was a difference.
      10-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #35
Pete H
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Paul,

Not quite sure where your measuring from, but the front edge of the seat base cushion is 9.5 inches off the floor on mine. The way to check it is in the lowest position is the bolts should be in the upper of the two positions on the seat mounting bracket.

I think the performance seats end up at around the same height as the manual seats, and bit lower than the electric seats.

I find it OK for me, I would like to be a little lower, but then again I'm not that tall.

Pete
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #36
PaulMcA
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Just as an update...
Pete I measured from the same place as you, so the front edge of the seat base.
More used to the seating position now... Still not ideal or perfect but getting used to it certainly helps and it is not as bad as it first felt. Funnily enough, I don't notice it any near as much when driving at night, when the inside of the car is dark.
Other than that the car is stinking..... Great performance and as a yard stick, day to day speed is quicker than my CSL was.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #37
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep

Just an update on this subject.

Having carried out the conversion to lower the seat, it left the car looking a bit untidy.

I noticed my E90 335D daily driver had a very neat plastic cover that hides all the seat mounting brackets. Why BMW chose not to fit the same cover to the 1M is a mystery.

I got the part number off the cover on my DD and purchased a new item to fit to the 1M. It required a couple of the mounting lugs modifying with a die grinder (dremmel). I then applied some good quality double sided tape to it and fixed it onto the Sparco mounting bracket I'd installed.

Here's before without the cover :

And here's with the cover installed :

Several posters contacted me asking how the seat belt/ pre-tensioner bracket was fabricated.

Here's a picture of the bracket we fabricated for the seat belt stalk/pretensioner attached to the Sparco side mount, (sorry about the picture quality) :

Note the pin circled in red, it's critical as it stops the pre-tensioner rotating in the event of an accident. It does not secure the bracket (there's a separate bolt that does that) it merely locates in the slot on the pre-tensioner bracket highlighted in yellow here :

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 06:47 PM   #38
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

How about a four year bump!
Appreciate 0