E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Tinting VS No Tinting of windows

View Poll Results: Tinting VS No Tinting of windows
I HAVE TINTED MY WINDOWS 149 66.82%
I PREFER WITHOUT TINTING 74 33.18%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

06-04-2006, 08:21 PM   #23
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Got a ILLEGAL front window ticket yesterday for my 10% limo tint all around!
      06-04-2006, 08:32 PM   #24
lumbergh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawarrant
I would like to, but tinting is illegal in Pennsylvania.
I didn't realize tinting was illegal in other states. That is crazy! My car would just about catch on fire in this TX heat without some tint. I wish I could go darker but there are retrictions, I think it's up to 30%, on the front but you can spray paint the rest if you really wanted to.

Anyone know if you can remove and retint windows? The dealer did a crappy job and I want a little darker on the back anyway.

Edit: oh yeah, sorry about the ticket ADHD. Did they use some kind of light reader?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #25
matt0528
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

i prefer em tinted... havent done so yet

2006 BMW 330i // Spark. Graphite // Black Interior w/ Alum.// 15mm Spacers

Sport Package // 162 18" rims // JL 12w6v2 sub // JL 500/1 amp// PMB Hyperwhite Angels
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #26
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
I would like to, but tinting is illegal in Pennsylvania.
who told u that? it's legal as long as 70% of light goes through window
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 08:45 PM   #27
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz
I would like to tint my car but I want to avoid unnecessary tickets and worry about finding the right place here at NJ.
that's the perception. most law enforecement authorities will not issue u a ticket as long as ur tint isn't very dark at like 40% or lighter and u obey all traffic laws while driving. i live near a police station and local police are every where as they pull in and out of the station. i pass by phila pd practically everyday on my way home from work and they don't have any second thoughts about pulling me over. limit urself to getting a ticket by having lighter tints, absolutely no front tints and obey all traffic laws. law enforcement these days have other priorities than pulling people over with tints on their windows. however, if they feel threatened by dark tints and ignorant drivers, i hope they do issue tickets to violators.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 09:18 PM   #28
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcraft
anyone knows a good shop? i live in westminster and work in tustin. any place around that area. and how much? thanks.
Gearcraft,

I highly recommend:

> Sundial Mobile Tinting <

His name is Rich Schrader.

Office: 714-841-7170
Mobile: 714-812-8451

Click the link and read up on his work.

On a scale of one to ten, his work is a 10.

He'll come to you and you will not be disappointed.

I've used him on my last four vehicles and I've always been blown away by his work.

And no, I'm not related to him in any way and his is not a personal friend of mine.

If you choose to go with him, please let me know what you think.

Dave

Costa Mesa, CA

Edit: And you'll be able to roll your windows up and down all you want.

Last edited by CMD; 06-05-2006 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 09:20 PM   #29
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcraft
i want my car tinted but when i got my car the dealer told me that if i'll tint my car i'd have to keep my windows closed so the film will not get into the moving parts inside the door.
This is complete Bullsh*t.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 09:21 PM   #30
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD
This is complete Bullsh*t.
please don't lie to people, you wouldn't want them to ruin their tint.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 09:32 PM   #31
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
Niki,

Read this quote on the proper way to apply tinting taken from Sundial's website:

Door Panel Removal:

As a rule, we remove door panels, this is the best way to get the film to within 1/16" of the top edge and below the bottom seal. Some companies will say that's not necessary, that they have ways around it. But, you can't argue the fact that a window that doesn't have that bottom seal in the way is easier to tint than one that does. If you agree with that, then you have to agree that a window that is easier to tint is more likely to turn out better than one that isn't as easy to tint. If you are able to get the film on quicker and easier there is much less chance of contamination and creases. Contamination such as dust, lint, hair, etc. gets in the film during the installation process. It is virtually impossible to prevent contamination. It is more a how much you can reduce it.

Rear Windows:

For curved rear windows, we use the latest on piece techniques including heat shrinking, which allows us to tint windows in one piece which previously required two or more pieces. When seams are necessary, we accurately line up the seams to the defroster, giving the illusion of one piece.

Workmanship:

Remember, a good tint job is both quality film and quality workmanship. At Sundial Window Tinting our methods of application are at the top of the industry. Getting a top quality film is a waste, if its not put on by an expert in the field. By all means, make sure you are getting a good quality film, which comes with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer, not just the tint shop.

All due respect Niki, I don't lie.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 09:42 PM   #32
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

So you mean to say that every tint shop that has tinted my car or someone I know's car was lying to us when they said we can't roll down the windows?

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #33
AComp
Too Beaucoup
Rep
Drives: '06 325i SG/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335I talian Stallion NJ
How dark is 35%? Thanks!:rocks:
Here's a couple of crappy pics I took, but you get a good look at the tint.

06-04-2006, 10:08 PM   #34
pawarrant
SECDEF
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3

Garage List
2020 X3 xDrive30i  [0.00]
2013 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by govtec
who told u that? it's legal as long as 70% of light goes through window
Check out Title 75 of Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes Section 4524-e. Without a medical exemption or other exempted vehicle, the statute is pretty clear that aftermarket tint is illegal. Some officers will also cite under section 4107-b-2 for violating Department (PennDOT) rules and regulations. You are correct that most officers will let light tint go, and will cite based on "the spirit of the law" rather than the "letter of the law".
Retired: 2016 435i M-Sport Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather, 2013 328xi Melbourne Red Metallic/Black Dakota Leather, 2009 328xi Montego Blue Metallic/Saddle Brown Dakota Leather, 2006 325xi Monaco Blue Metallic/Gray Dakota Leather, 2003 325xi Steel Grey Metallic/Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 10:28 PM   #35
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
So you mean to say that every tint shop that has tinted my car or someone I know's car was lying to us when they said we can't roll down the windows?
Probaby not, due to the way they were installing it. If it is installed with the door panels removed and the tint installed down below the bottom edge, trust me, you can definitely roll down the windows. Call the man I referred above and ask him about it. If he tells you I'm wrong, I'll pay for your phone call.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 10:33 PM   #36
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD
Probaby not, due to the way they were installing it. If it is installed with the door panels removed and the tint installed down below the bottom edge, trust me, you can definitely roll down the windows. Call the man I referred above and ask him about it. If he tells you I'm wrong, I'll pay for your phone call.
yeah exactly so don't go advertising that people can roll down their windows without giving them that extra information.

i remember someone here telling a person with scratched aluminum trim to take a brillo pad to it and they completely ruined the trim.

people trust the information they read on here, so if you're going to give it then make sure you give the whole story. i bet that less than 5% of tint places remove your door panel.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 11:49 PM   #37
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Check out Title 75 of Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes Section 4524-e. Without a medical exemption or other exempted vehicle, the statute is pretty clear that aftermarket tint is illegal. Some officers will also cite under section 4107-b-2 for violating Department (PennDOT) rules and regulations. You are correct that most officers will let light tint go, and will cite based on "the spirit of the law" rather than the "letter of the law".
i don't know if the fact sheet supersedes the statutes u quoted. http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ets/fs-sun.pdf

in the statutes itself, it's ambiguous when it states "does not permitt a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing OR side window of vehicle." from that statement i assume as long as my front windshields aren't tinted and on the other windows a person could see through light tints from any distance, i am legal.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 12:30 AM   #38
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
yeah exactly so don't go advertising that people can roll down their windows without giving them that extra information.

i remember someone here telling a person with scratched aluminum trim to take a brillo pad to it and they completely ruined the trim.

people trust the information they read on here, so if you're going to give it then make sure you give the whole story. i bet that less than 5% of tint places remove your door panel.
Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part, and I'm not being elitist here. But I can't imagine tinting my windows if I couldn't roll them down, especially on a new BMW. (Are you kidding? I guess you're not). I mean, I rarely roll my windows down 'cause I'm an air conditioning freak, but I still would never even consider tinting my Bimmer if I was restricted like that. I guess I've learned something here.

But the real lesson here is, in my opinion, you don't have to settle for a window tinting job where you can't roll your windows down. All you have to do is find someone who can do the job correctly. IMO, there is a right way and a wrong way to do just about everything. And if you got a tint job where you can't roll your windows down or it will damage your tint, that, my friends, is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 07:18 AM   #39
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
i prefer my car stock
      06-05-2006, 07:39 AM   #40
Juve29
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 325i titanium silver spk

I got my windows tinted last month and the car looks amazing.

I did 50% in the front, 65% in the back windows and 85% the rear window.

The legal limit is 30% but 50% is usually tolerated.

I had to wait two days before I could roll down the windows.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 07:52 AM   #41
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

no choice for undecided.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 09:10 AM   #42
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD
Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part, and I'm not being elitist here. But I can't imagine tinting my windows if I couldn't roll them down, especially on a new BMW. (Are you kidding? I guess you're not). I mean, I rarely roll my windows down 'cause I'm an air conditioning freak, but I still would never even consider tinting my Bimmer if I was restricted like that. I guess I've learned something here.

But the real lesson here is, in my opinion, you don't have to settle for a window tinting job where you can't roll your windows down. All you have to do is find someone who can do the job correctly. IMO, there is a right way and a wrong way to do just about everything. And if you got a tint job where you can't roll your windows down or it will damage your tint, that, my friends, is wrong.
I think the miscommunication is that you shouldn't roll down your windows for a day or two immediately after installation to allow them to dry and prevent damage to the tint (and conceivably moving parts in the door). Afterwards, you are free to roll up/down at your leisure. This should hold true whether the door panels are removed or not.

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 09:11 AM   #43
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYMIKE
No such thing is factory tint on the E90. If the dealership has it done for you, they are simply outsourcing the job to a tint shop.
It is a factory option for at least some European countries. (fyi)

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #44
javajaws
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i AW/Saddle/msport

Quote:
At first I thought I had missed something while reading this thread. Then I re-read it and decided it was somebody else who I think missed something.

Gearcraft was initially talking about comments from his dealer that he could NEVER roll his windows down if tinted. Nikki then chimed in and stated you could but after a couple of days to let the tint dry.

CMD then chimes in saying Gearcraft's dealer is full of it (referring to the never roll them down bit...not to the initial couple days for drying).

I hope everyone is on the same page now...

Appreciate 0