BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #23
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair311 View Post
I believe to get anything close to this effect that you describe - you would need a HUGE surface area up front on the intake side...tapering down to increase pressure. To make any measurable difference such as turbo spool-up that you describe, you would need a HUGE intake surface area - wider and higher than the front of your car - not a small 1 inch by 6 inch slit in your bumper. Sorry to burst you bubble here......fun to experiment like this..but it really won't provide a measurable increase - even on the track at 100+ MPH..... let alone at public speeds.

The ramair systems on modern streetbikes add around 6 or so HP at high speeds.....but those are naturally aspirated engines and the surface area of ram-air intake at the front of the bike is at a much higher proportion to intake volumes.
OK point taken on "Ram systems" BUT the point is more cold air is being made available and applying a stronger flow through the air filter. That coupled with me sealing the intake plenum and removing bits of swarf etc inside it, could be providing the improvement I feel now.

There is definatly no denying there is an improvement that can be felt.
      04-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #24
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
It's possible the improvement felt could be in line with a placebo effect. A dyno comparison is in order!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #25
BRR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Grey 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-335d
So, here it is after a bit of playing and pondering. I looked at the Dinan and another DIY intake that was done recently, both of these use an additional filter and flow the air in "after" the stock air filter. I thought I would go for a different version without needing to use another air filter. Since I use an after market replacement air filter (Streamline Helene) and we all know the standard airbox is still fitted to cars with 400BHP+ so can't be too bad in design to start with.

I decided to leave everything after the air filter as it stands as I did not want to introduce and air turbulance on the engine side of the filter, when the current box flows well already.

The rest I will show in pictures for you all

I am fitting a small pipe as a "vent" tomorrow to stop water being drawn up if I drove through VERY deep water, which will face the front so as not to draw in hot air.

I have test driven today and 2nd gear upwards does feel stronger, so I'm pleased with it.

My approach was just to get more cold air in and reduce the resistance of "sucking" for the engine to get air

Alos, in picyure no.5 you can see where I cut the plactic strut out from infront of my Forge FMIC using a "wire saw" for about $3. It only took 15 mins too including the time to remove and refit the grill.

Any thoughts from any of you ?
Ok I am going to do this. Have you had any issues since creating this? Also where is the hole for water disposal?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 01:15 PM   #26
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

xD
Attached Images

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 02:04 PM   #27
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasLacouture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-335d
So, here it is after a bit of playing and pondering. I looked at the Dinan and another DIY intake that was done recently, both of these use an additional filter and flow the air in "after" the stock air filter. I thought I would go for a different version without needing to use another air filter. Since I use an after market replacement air filter (Streamline Helene) and we all know the standard airbox is still fitted to cars with 400BHP+ so can't be too bad in design to start with.

I decided to leave everything after the air filter as it stands as I did not want to introduce and air turbulance on the engine side of the filter, when the current box flows well already.

The rest I will show in pictures for you all

I am fitting a small pipe as a "vent" tomorrow to stop water being drawn up if I drove through VERY deep water, which will face the front so as not to draw in hot air.

I have test driven today and 2nd gear upwards does feel stronger, so I'm pleased with it.

My approach was just to get more cold air in and reduce the resistance of "sucking" for the engine to get air

Alos, in picyure no.5 you can see where I cut the plactic strut out from infront of my Forge FMIC using a "wire saw" for about $3. It only took 15 mins too including the time to remove and refit the grill.

Any thoughts from any of you ?
Ok I am going to do this. Have you had any issues since creating this? Also where is the hole for water disposal?
I ran with this mod for a couple of years with no issues and am still in contact with the current owner and it's still going strong
      05-15-2015, 11:23 PM   #28
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Has anyone tried routing ducting from the brake ducts? They are more or less pointless (albeit really cool) unless you do a lot of hard braking. Could re purpose them for more air flow.

Appreciate 0