BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-23-2015, 06:44 AM   #1
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Crazy wheel vibrations

Ok so let me first tell some history. I have had an intermitent wheel vibration for around 6 months now. It would start at around 80 mph, go away, and then return at around 125 mph. Wasn't a huge deal, and i thought it was the wheels. So i ordered a brand new set. Didn't fix the issue. So i decided I'd wear out the used MPSS's I had on it and buy new when I needed it.
2 weeks ago, the vibrations got worse, and I had a tire shop, check the balance. When I got the car back, it was undriveable. Upon investigation, They installed 2 hub rings on one wheel, and non on the other, front and rear. Which destroyed the hub centric rings. The same time that I found this, I found the front tires were shot, and I decided to get new tires. I "fixed" the hub centric rings to were they "fit" the wheel and hub, but they were VERY tight and hard to get on the hub. Installed the New tires on the new wheels, and ordered a new set of centric rings.

The car vibrates at every speed above 60 mph, which I hope is completely the centric rings, and not the new tires too.

Would bad hub centric rings, cause the balance to be off? The tire machine used a cone insert on the back of the wheel, and a 5 finger, lug recess retention adapter.

Im going to install the new rings, and have the tires rebalanced in hopes it goes away. If you have any other ideas of what to check, just in case my current incoming solutions don't fix it, please let me know.
      07-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Your wheel is not sitting on the hub properly, lots of vibrations and noise from that usually. Can't balance a wheel that isn't sitting solid.

Strip it all down and put it right before going forward.