BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
realm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

OEM 2009 I-Drive Navigation Retrofit

My project is to install a 2009 BMW Idrive OEM on a NON Idrive BMW 135I

After reading: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ation+retrofit
And reading: http://home.comcast.net/~Booster/idr...e_retrofit.pdf

I realize this project is possible on the 335I so lets do it on my 135I.

Current Stage: Research, Putting a parts list together and figuring out where I can locate a technician that will be able to Change my VO:

“...VO was changed to remove “Radio Audio Professional” (663) and three items were added; “Professional Navigation” (609), “Voice activation” (620), and “Real Time Traffic Information” (6UH). In addition, you will need someone experienced in BMW programming to obtain (legitimately) or hack an “enabling code” to enable the voice control option of Navigation. If this is not enabled, the button will simply not work and no voice recognition capability will be functional.” -- Quoted from E90_idrive_retrofit.pdf by by Booster4075 from e90post.com

Current Progress: collecting parts.

Total Costs so far:
Research: $30 (bmwtis subscription)

Parts: Controller 65-82-9-189-048 $153.78

Shane.

Last edited by realm; 02-02-2009 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Why didn't you just get the car with nav? You would have saved yourself thousands of dollars.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
ExMX5
Engineering Tool
Rep
Drives:

Dash should be the same part - the screen hood occupies the same space in 2008/2009 idrive and non idrive cars...

Due December 15th!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 05:58 AM   #4
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMX5 View Post
Dash should be the same part - the screen hood occupies the same space in 2008/2009 idrive and non idrive cars...
Not if he has a US-spec non-iDrive dash. They don't have the storage unit there that the euro-spec models get when there is no iDrive. So he would have to cut a hole.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
realm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
Why didn't you just get the car with nav? You would have saved yourself thousands of dollars.
Great question. Truth be told I was only aware of the 2008 IDRIVE (The 135I cars I test drove, all had the flip up version of the IDRIVE), during one of my test drives it even froze when the car sales man was showing me the options. So I decided against it. To my surprise while joining the site ( http://www.1addicts.com ) last week, I started noticing a different IDRIVE system on some of the users cars, I immediately went to the dealer ship and test drove a car with the new IDRIVE and completely loved it. So I decided to just put my Electrical Engineering Degree to work and retro fit my car.

Also when I did research, all the pics I would see were the 2008 version of the I DRIVE.

Even on http://www.bmwusa.com on the pictures of the 2009 I DRIVE it still shows the "Flip up Version"

http://resource.bmwusa.com/Image_6b3..._@758x335.arox

You can see it in the fold down position, and also you can see a silver nob, where the 2009 has a black nob.

So I'll tally everything up + shipping and give you guys a true cost of doing this retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realm View Post
Even on http://www.bmwusa.com on the pictures of the 2009 I DRIVE it still shows the "Flip up Version"

http://resource.bmwusa.com/Image_6b3..._@758x335.arox
Useless, how hard is it to update websites in a timely manner?

And yes, the 09 iDrive has been in production since 1 September 08 so there are probably not that many delivered yet.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
realm
Enlisted Member
Rep

2008 IDRIVE

http://rea7m.org/idrive/2008-idrive.jpg

2009 IDRIVE

http://rea7m.org/idrive/2009-idrive.jpg
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #8
realm
Enlisted Member
Rep

123D-M & ExMX5,

If this is true, then a possible retrofit dash cut similar to J8Smith on this forum.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ht=storage+bin

It appears the 2008 monitor unit is one piece.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can any one verify that the 2009 monitor is one piece that could be inserted in to a cut dash?
Yep, mine is all one piece. Obviously I can't see what is going on beneath the surface of the dashboard but what you can see is one piece of moulded plastic containing the screen.

And yes, regarding the instructions to install the dash storage unit. I'm 99% sure that the hole for the 08 and 09 iDrive would be the same shape as the one for that storage unit.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #10
realm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123D-M View Post
Yep, mine is all one piece. Obviously I can't see what is going on beneath the surface of the dashboard but what you can see is one piece of moulded plastic containing the screen.

And yes, regarding the instructions to install the dash storage unit. I'm 99% sure that the hole for the 08 and 09 iDrive would be the same shape as the one for that storage unit.
Thanks! That's great info. Does any one have access the 2009 BMW NAV. Wiring diagram, or part list similar to realoem.com ?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
realm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Current Stage: research
I found a site http://www.bmwtis.com that with purchase of a subscription that allows the viewing of service and technical information for BMW.

I'm still lost where I can find part numbers, this unit doesn't seem to "exist" when you view any info on the E82.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #12
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep

Garage List
very interesting.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
hansenc
1addict, and proud
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
I wonder if it would be easier to do a retrofit from the 08 nav to the 09 nav.

I would do this in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #14
hansenc
1addict, and proud
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
Wish BMW NA would support the programming and the sale of some kind of kit.

They know the current i-drive isn't that great
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 02:41 AM   #15
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

In looking in your thread, obviously (like me) you will get a lot of criticism for even thinking of doing this (everyone will tell you to just buy another car.) For me, doing the retrofit on my E90 was very rewarding, I learned a ton about the cars and their superior (and confusing!) engineering. I was pushed even harder to rise to the challenge, since everyone told me it couldn't be done.

That being said, there is a basic thing you need to figure out;

Do you plan to retrofit the older (1st-gen) i-drive (CCC) or the newer 2009-based (2nd-gen) i-drive (CIC) ?? This is the first decision you have to make before going any further. Obviously the parts, the diagrams and programming knowledge is out there to complete the 1st-gen retrofit. Although, its safe to assume no one has retrofitted a 1st-gen i-drive onto a 2009 model (which was equipped with 2nd-gen i-drive from the factory.)

If you plan to retrofit the 2nd-gen system (or for those of you who want to upgrade from the 1st-gen), there are a few unknowns out there, and the used parts just aren't really available yet to play with. In looking at the dash, its looks like the dash with the monitor has a recessed area where the screen flange (for the lack of a better word) drops into - it might look cheesy if the display hole is cut out and this "flange" rests on top. It might be worth a real good look at an i-drive dash and how the monitor mounts in. It took me like 2 hours to get the dash out of my E90, so its not something to be scared of (just a little pricey.) That said, that guy that put in the storage bin made it look real nice - does the display monitor have the same "flange"?

At www.E90post.com, we've been talking about the 2nd-gen upgrade for a while, but still don't know some important stuff - including, proper VO changes, how to integrate into the TCU/Assist (especially with the new Google maps integration), wiring changes (at least for the controller, since no one knows what the connector looks like yet - I'm assuming its still similar) and other minor issues. We know that the 2nd-gen display is not compatible with the 1st-gen due to its higher (double) resolution and new LVDS cable. The CIC looks like it should plug-n-play into existing cables, including the fakra antenna cables.

You likely won't get a dealer to make these programming changes since they are not authorized and most techs don't know how to properly change a VO and such. That being said, there are certain "smart" people at the dealer and independent shop level that DO know what they are doing and they can help with their knowledge and the right tools at their disposal. Yes - it would be tons easier if BMW just decided to make a factory authorized retrofit with the parts in a big fat kit with the authorized programming changes...I'm not going to hold my breath.

I have yet to find a very current WDS with the wiring diagrams for the CIC (on the 1 or 3) and haven't been able to find many part numbers - please post if you guys come up with some current info. I will be following this thread as well. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 04:02 AM   #16
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Wow nice read. Glad you guys are thinking outside the norm. Best of luck. Love the new version. I wasn't going to order nav then the ca told me about the new version and I was sold. Only regret logic 7 and getting a vert.
      01-14-2009, 06:09 AM   #17
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Wow wow wow!

Realm thanks for the posts and keeping us all updated.
Booster4075 E90 post your nick is the same? I will find time to do some reading on this.

This idea is very cool.

EspressoBoy
      01-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #18
dmyl
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Hallo from Greece

Currently i make a retrofit for my 1 series BMW (116).
I bought from ebay a flap monitor and i am going to replace the internal lcd with another 7" touch screen and exactly i am going to replace it with a PNA which should be bluetooth compatible ,MEdia player.All the "navigation" will be controlled by a microcontroller which should read the car status (engine on , lock of car , button power on/off) and drive the stepp motor of the CID.

It is a little bit different for a real iDrive retrofit but i think that is the easier af all.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #19
realm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
In looking in your thread, obviously (like me) you will get a lot of criticism for even thinking of doing this (everyone will tell you to just buy another car.) For me, doing the retrofit on my E90 was very rewarding, I learned a ton about the cars and their superior (and confusing!) engineering. I was pushed even harder to rise to the challenge, since everyone told me it couldn't be done.

That being said, there is a basic thing you need to figure out;

Do you plan to retrofit the older (1st-gen) i-drive (CCC) or the newer 2009-based (2nd-gen) i-drive (CIC) ?? This is the first decision you have to make before going any further. Obviously the parts, the diagrams and programming knowledge is out there to complete the 1st-gen retrofit. Although, its safe to assume no one has retrofitted a 1st-gen i-drive onto a 2009 model (which was equipped with 2nd-gen i-drive from the factory.)

If you plan to retrofit the 2nd-gen system (or for those of you who want to upgrade from the 1st-gen), there are a few unknowns out there, and the used parts just aren't really available yet to play with. In looking at the dash, its looks like the dash with the monitor has a recessed area where the screen flange (for the lack of a better word) drops into - it might look cheesy if the display hole is cut out and this "flange" rests on top. It might be worth a real good look at an i-drive dash and how the monitor mounts in. It took me like 2 hours to get the dash out of my E90, so its not something to be scared of (just a little pricey.) That said, that guy that put in the storage bin made it look real nice - does the display monitor have the same "flange"?

At www.E90post.com, we've been talking about the 2nd-gen upgrade for a while, but still don't know some important stuff - including, proper VO changes, how to integrate into the TCU/Assist (especially with the new Google maps integration), wiring changes (at least for the controller, since no one knows what the connector looks like yet - I'm assuming its still similar) and other minor issues. We know that the 2nd-gen display is not compatible with the 1st-gen due to its higher (double) resolution and new LVDS cable. The CIC looks like it should plug-n-play into existing cables, including the fakra antenna cables.

You likely won't get a dealer to make these programming changes since they are not authorized and most techs don't know how to properly change a VO and such. That being said, there are certain "smart" people at the dealer and independent shop level that DO know what they are doing and they can help with their knowledge and the right tools at their disposal. Yes - it would be tons easier if BMW just decided to make a factory authorized retrofit with the parts in a big fat kit with the authorized programming changes...I'm not going to hold my breath.

I have yet to find a very current WDS with the wiring diagrams for the CIC (on the 1 or 3) and haven't been able to find many part numbers - please post if you guys come up with some current info. I will be following this thread as well. :wink:
Booster,

First off (A I'm planning to retrofit the 2nd-gen system. I'm waiting for an email from my local BMW that has a list of all the parts he thinks I need, and prices. (P I haven't found any one that has successfully retrofitter the (2nd gen) and the problem that I have is I was told from the Dealership (The software isn't available yet) and from tom@eas (That the software isn't available yet). So i've decided i'll give it a try and I will start ordering the pieces (new).

As far as the flange problem, I'm going to order the monitor, when I get it in i'll take pictures and decide if just ordering a "new" dash would look and work better.

Booster, thank you so much for this post, your a pioneer in this area with your e90 retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #20
realm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyl View Post
Hallo from Greece

Currently i make a retrofit for my 1 series BMW (116).
I bought from ebay a flap monitor and i am going to replace the internal lcd with another 7" touch screen and exactly i am going to replace it with a PNA which should be bluetooth compatible ,MEdia player.All the "navigation" will be controlled by a microcontroller which should read the car status (engine on , lock of car , button power on/off) and drive the stepp motor of the CID.

It is a little bit different for a real iDrive retrofit but i think that is the easier af all.
Dmyl,

Cool man post some pictures? It would be great to see a DIY of your retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #21
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I'll be following this thread, if the retrofit isn't TOO intensive (relative to the project) then this would be something I'm interested in.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #22
dmyl
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Dmyl,

Cool man post some pictures?
In order not be off topic i will make a new diy topic with the proccess of retrofitting a custon navi "idrive"
Appreciate 0