BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #23
Kim Schwartz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofopps View Post
No shit, that is true in theory. However you are still a moran for thinking that principle can be applied to the 128i PE. This is not a mufflerless system like the berk race which I happen to have on my 135i.
I had an aftermarket performance exhaust for a Miata and on the track it was great but on the street I noticed the lack of low RPM torque much more than I noticed the increase in high end HP. That said I have the BMW intake and exhaust. My wife also has a 128i but with stock intake and exhaust and I percieve no loss in power in my car. If anything the throttle response is better with no flat spots. I've never driven them side by side at high rpm's to comment on if there is a noticable gain there but I am delighted with my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #24
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I put the Performance Exhaust on the wife's 128i right after we picked it up at the dealer, and we both love it! Doesn't drone on the highway, and is mellow until you step on it, after which it really growls! What's not to like? Bigger "finisher" pipes look great, too.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #25
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Schwartz View Post
I had an aftermarket performance exhaust for a Miata and on the track it was great but on the street I noticed the lack of low RPM torque much more than I noticed the increase in high end HP. That said I have the BMW intake and exhaust. My wife also has a 128i but with stock intake and exhaust and I percieve no loss in power in my car. If anything the throttle response is better with no flat spots. I've never driven them side by side at high rpm's to comment on if there is a noticable gain there but I am delighted with my car.
My active autowerke exhaust on my 128 had this effect to a degree. While i didn't necessarily notice less torque down low, I instantly noticed it rev's way faster to redline then it did with the stock or PE exhaust. It's especially noticeable when you do a WOT run in 3rd, as soon as you get to about 4-4.5k rpm it starts pulling harder and faster then before it. Though i do get what most people would consider an annoying amount of drone, I can live with it because i enjoy having loud cars. Especially coming from my old 2.8 turbo diesel jeep with a straight piped exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #26
Kim Schwartz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
My active autowerke exhaust on my 128 had this effect to a degree. While i didn't necessarily notice less torque down low, I instantly noticed it rev's way faster to redline then it did with the stock or PE exhaust. It's especially noticeable when you do a WOT run in 3rd, as soon as you get to about 4-4.5k rpm it starts pulling harder and faster then before it. Though i do get what most people would consider an annoying amount of drone, I can live with it because i enjoy having loud cars. Especially coming from my old 2.8 turbo diesel jeep with a straight piped exhaust
I've heard some people say they felt the BMW exhaust had a drone. I have no problem with the sound at all. It just sounds like more of a good thing. Never intrusive unless you want it to be.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #27
Apiasto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black 128i

In on this... My magnaflow should be coming in on Tuesday morning and on the car Tuesday night... I will time some third gear pulls and see how that goes... I don't think I will be able to get the car on a dyno in the next couple of days but I can see what I can do.
Appreciate 0