08-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #23
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Just when we thought your car can't get any better looking...

Great pics, thx for the write-up. No rubbing around ramps/road imperfections even with in your lowered stance? My stock bumper already has a few battle scars on the stock ride height, so this is really the only thing sombering my mood and desire to get this
Thanks mate.....

I have a number of battle scars to the mid rear of the front bumper from speed bumps etc, so I raised the front by approx 5-6mm to take in the 10mm of the splitter and so far so good, I have also found switching the suspension to firmer setting helps on speed bumps as it minimises damper travel when coming down and so on.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #24
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

looks fantastic!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #25
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Received mine today. I'll install it before the weekend and post some pics.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:40 AM   #26
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Received mine today. I'll install it before the weekend and post some pics.

Look forward to seeing it fitted to your VO mate.....
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #27
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Look forward to seeing it fitted to your VO mate.....
+1!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #28
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Is the Lighweight piece flat or is it contoured to fit tightly to the underside of the front bumper cover?

I'm curious because, at least on my 1M, it appears that the underside of the center section of the bumper (beneath the grill) is lower than the underside of the bumper on the sides.

If this is the case, I'm uncertain how a flat splitter would be installed.

Would appreciate any clarification on this issue.

Thanks!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #29
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

im actually installing mine today. replacing my cracked slek one. it looks flat to me but I think after it is bolted in, it will sit flush with the bumper. I will get back to u later today with the results
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #30
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

I am interested in how the install goes as well. Snap some pics if you get a chance!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #31
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post

... because, at least on my 1M, it appears that the underside of the center section of the bumper (beneath the grill) is lower than the underside of the bumper on the sides.
I am pretty sure that the lowest section of the underside of the front bumper is the center vs. sides as you said. So for a 100% perfect fit, a lip should be slightly contoured.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #32
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Is the Lighweight piece flat or is it contoured to fit tightly to the underside of the front bumper cover?

I'm curious because, at least on my 1M, it appears that the underside of the center section of the bumper (beneath the grill) is lower than the underside of the bumper on the sides.

If this is the case, I'm uncertain how a flat splitter would be installed.

Would appreciate any clarification on this issue.

Thanks!

Neil
The lip is flat and does not sit flush throughout the length of the bumper. There are (if I recall correctly) six attachment points -- in the areas between those points there are small gaps between the lip and the bumper underside.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #33
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
The lip is flat and does not sit flush throughout the length of the bumper. There are (if I recall correctly) six attachment points -- in the areas between those points there are small gaps between the lip and the bumper underside.
OK, but if the center section of the front bumper is lower than the sides, wouldn't the splitter, when fastened, curl upwards on either end.

If that's not the case, does it "compress" the center section upwards so it's in the same plane as the sides?

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #34
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

things got delayed. install hopefully tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #35
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
OK, but if the center section of the front bumper is lower than the sides, wouldn't the splitter, when fastened, curl upwards on either end.

If that's not the case, does it "compress" the center section upwards so it's in the same plane as the sides?

Neil
I'm hoping these pictures I took after work will help answer your question. I put a flashlight under the car to show the small gap in various locations between the lip and the bumper.

There are a sequence of 4 photos starting from passenger side to driver's side.

The second photo shows the large gap between the lip and the most contoured segment of the bumper. Picture #3 is at about the midpoint of the bumper. The remaining photos show the small areas between mounting points where the lip does not contact the bumper.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by ayao; 05-14-2013 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 06:38 AM   #36
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

So this theoretically doesn't do much for aero as it doesn't direct all air above its plane away from the underside of the car, it allows it to pass under? I like the look and pricing but something like the full slek lip should be a significantly better aero piece?
      05-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #37
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMH View Post
So this theoretically doesn't do much for aero as it doesn't direct all air above its plane away from the underside of the car, it allows it to pass under? I like the look and pricing but something like the full slek lip should be a significantly better aero piece?
I'm planning to consult with my racer buddies about how much the air flowing over the splitter and through the bumper will reduce its effectiveness. Certainly not optimal.

I'm also still trying to figure out how it would fit on my car, where the underside of the center section of the bumper cover extends lower than the sides. It's possible that this flat splitter compresses this section upwards when attached, but I'm uncertain.

Finally, since I'll be using the splitter (in conjunction with a rear wing) at some high speed tracks, I'll have to consider whether the mounting would need strengthening. During this year's One Lap, I ran a GPS-verified 155 mph on the high banking at Daytona!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #38
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

155, not bad at all for a car with the aerodynamics of a riding mower, that's using one banking and the infield?

I imagine the lightweight piece bends up slightly to meet the outsides of the bumper by the air curtains. I think the way it is designed without directing airflow up above the undercarriage it has the least aero effect of any lip/splitter. It probably helps where the lip is in contact with the bumper and directs the air away from under the vehicle but for your level of driving and your ability to actually use the reduction in lift from a functional lip, this is probably not the best piece, but I love the price and look for a cosmetic mod.
      05-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #39
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMH View Post
155, not bad at all for a car with the aerodynamics of a riding mower, that's using one banking and the infield?

I imagine the lightweight piece bends up slightly to meet the outsides of the bumper by the air curtains. I think the way it is designed without directing airflow up above the undercarriage it has the least aero effect of any lip/splitter. It probably helps where the lip is in contact with the bumper and directs the air away from under the vehicle but for your level of driving and your ability to actually use the reduction in lift from a functional lip, this is probably not the best piece, but I love the price and look for a cosmetic mod.
Yes, we ran the road course configuration.

I, too, like the the appearance and price of this piece. And I don't want to use a pricey carbon fiber piece since I consider splitters a wear item ;-)

Sure wish SLEK or Revozport -- both of which look very nicely designed -- made a FRP version.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #40
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I wonder too about the effectiveness of this splitter since it doesn't extend forward of the bumper very far. Something longer and lower would certainly be subject to wear but perhaps you could attach a track day or One Lap splitter to this or directly to the bumper. The longer and more effective the splitter is the more you'll have to support it which complicates things.

Here's an example of a Lotus owner and his homemade splitter.
http://www.trackjunkies.org/topic/25...ade-splitters/
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #41
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

It is pretty much a copy of BMW M's design for the motogp safety car. Get ont to Marc at Lightweight, they did most of the high speed testing on the autobahns and durability on the nurburgring

You could easily enough drill a few more additional holes for fixing flusher to the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #42
frank35
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I JB3 DCI

Hi, can someone tell me where to buy this same lip?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #43
LuuZ
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

==> http://www.lightweight-performance.d...ieur-copy.html

10-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #44
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Any way to get this lip without the lightweight logo on the front? Not a big fan of that...
Appreciate 0