BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2015, 09:19 PM   #1
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
low life scum hit my car

Hi All,

After some advice;
I got back to my car after work yesterday to find it damaged with a note on it.

Originally I was thinking, that's cool, nice to see someone would own up and put a note it - humanity is great.
That feeling was short lived, and the mobile number is not connected. Rang AAMI, my excess is $625 SHIT!

I was able to drive home etc. At home I noticed that there was yellow paint transfer on my car, and that the note looked like a blank Taxi receipt.

I rang Frankston taxis, they said they won't tell me anything and told me to go to the police. I went to Frankston Police, they rang the taxi company and then told me that without a number plate they couldn't do anything.

Utterly useless!!!!! I thought the taxi company's had to record pick ups and drops etc, surely there wasn't many taxis picking up or dropping off in Melvin St Frankston! FFS!!!!
The copper said, "just claim it under insurance" - yeah cos paying $625 excess should be my expense!

Does anyone have any experience in getting information from Taxi companies?
Surely it wouldn't be hard to work out which car hit me, especially if they keep records.

cheers

Last edited by Moocow; 01-15-2015 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 09:33 PM   #2
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Call up tomorrow to the taxi, perhaps with a different number to be sneaky and ask for Derek! Tell them you specifically request he pick you up, assuming he gave you correct name and wrong number, then when Derek shows up to " pick you up" check the car and if you find damage confront him and let him know cops are on the way. See what he says. A little detective work... Good luck man sorry to hear that.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 10:00 PM   #3
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135TX View Post
Call up tomorrow to the taxi, perhaps with a different number to be sneaky and ask for Derek! Tell them you specifically request he pick you up, assuming he gave you correct name and wrong number, then when Derek shows up to " pick you up" check the car and if you find damage confront him and let him know cops are on the way. See what he says. A little detective work... Good luck man sorry to hear that.
that was going to be my next plan.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 10:09 PM   #4
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

obligatory post: that'll buff right out

talk to the residents / businesses in the area where you parked. if no one was watching the incident, then assuredly the driver would drive away, right? i think someone must've witnessed it for the driver to feel compelled to leave a note, albeit a false one

edit: or find someone who works for a telco to see who last owned the number
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 10:39 PM   #5
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
obligatory post: that'll buff right out

talk to the residents / businesses in the area where you parked. if no one was watching the incident, then assuredly the driver would drive away, right? i think someone must've witnessed it for the driver to feel compelled to leave a note, albeit a false one

edit: or find someone who works for a telco to see who last owned the number
I think there was a resident in the cab, and that's why he felt compelled to leave a note. I'm going to do a letterbox drop tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 12:07 AM   #6
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Yes

Whilst I unfortunately doubt you will catch the perp, I wish you 100% the best of luck in getting some justice with this!

That is just rat-like behavior i.e. to smash into someones car and rather than face the consequences of their actions like men, they flee from their mess like cowards.

I think that you will find that if it was a taxi, the driver will not be the owner of the taxi but they will both try to avoid acknowledging your problem and just plead ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 12:17 AM   #7
Sp00kS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 0

Garage List
2012 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Scum

I have just moved to melbourne and already my partners car has 3 unexplained scratches and it is mostly parked at front of house. Seems more and more frequent that people open doors etc and go meh nothing happened. The bumper of my 1M has a suspicious number plate mark and odd line in plastic... Easy enough to fix but doesn't explain why i should waste my money or your pathetic excuse for driving.....

Just my 2 cents.

Hope this "Derek" is found to assist in your payments.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 12:43 AM   #8
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

its possible that they left the slip with a fake name and number, just so any onlookers may have thought he was doing the right thing compared to if he just drove off someone may take the rego details.

having said that I think the insurance option probably would be the way to go unfortunately...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 02:59 AM   #9
Anthony B
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: lemans 135i & m30b35 e30

Dashcam after this for you, I fear leaving my car on the street cause people are assholes

Last edited by Anthony B; 01-16-2015 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: Cause my phone decided car must be autocorrected to cat
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 03:13 AM   #10
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony B View Post
Dashcam after this for you, I fear leaving my cat on the street cause people are assholes
Agree..

True Story.
Friend had his car paked outside the gym, and came out to find similar damage to his car..
A note was left with a number , which also proved to be disconnected.
So, whilst he was at the police station blowing off steam at the asshole for the fake number, an old Asian lady walks in to report she hit his car and accidently left her old number..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 05:43 AM   #11
travisaus
Private First Class
Rep

Got reversed into with a tow bar into my front bar last week. Cracked the bar but glad they missed the lights.
Didn't leave a note. I'd prob be more pissed if they left a fake note than no note at all though!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 08:08 AM   #12
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Agree..

True Story.
Friend had his car paked outside the gym, and came out to find similar damage to his car..
A note was left with a number , which also proved to be disconnected.
So, whilst he was at the police station blowing off steam at the asshole for the fake number, an old Asian lady walks in to report she hit his car and accidently left her old number..
Those old Asian Ladies go hard at the gym!!
She had been pumping so much iron she didnt know her on strength when she mashed the gas...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 01:44 PM   #13
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

I wouldn't expect most people in Sydney be that honest to leave their details if they knew they could get away with it, sucks yes, but really its dog eat dog... and for $625 you got off pretty lightly. In fact if that happened to me most people I know would just say sucked-in for owning a BMW haha.
      01-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #14
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

The light doesn't look damaged. All that probably broke was one of the four brackets that hold it in. BMW sells a repair kit for all of the brackets, its $20 in the US and its an easy job to do yourself.I've done it recently after getting hit in a parking lot (no note and no cameras) As far as the fender and bumper, guess its time to get a new 1M front end conversion!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #15
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i, 640i, X6M50d, X3M40i

Bad luck mate, hope it gets sorted!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 12:37 AM   #16
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #17
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
Any updates?
Yep.

Still waiting on Vic Police to help!

I have a witness who saw it happen.
It was a taxi, a Frankston taxi (Ford Falcon wagon), got a description of what the guy looked like, but no number plate.

I passed the details to the police weeks ago and have heard nothing from them. I'm going to call them again today to find out what's going on.

Car has been fixed, just taken it back to them this morning as there were issues!
Power steering wine, 1/4 panel/bonnet gap larger than it should be on one side, front air vent in bumper not clipped in properly. My rear defender has paint spray on it. They replaced my headlight globe (was not damaged) with original, so now I have a GP Thunder on one side and a bright yellow sucker on the other side! Time to get some H8's I guess.

It's all getting fixed today. Been such a pain in the arse. Some people are fucked!

Last edited by Moocow; 02-11-2015 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #18
racer_x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: When He Has To

Hi Moocow,

Sorry to read all this. The headaches are definitely way bigger than the $600-700 excess.

I doubt the police will do much. Insurance claims are often looked at as a total waste of their time. No one got hurt.

You might be better off going to wherever Frankston Taxis keep their fleet and taking pics of anyone who fits the witness' description.

Ask around. Pretend the driver did you a favour and you want to reward him or something.

Anyhow. Once you have the pics, go back to the witness. If you get a positive ID, take that to the police along with a stat dec. from him/her.

Effectively, you've got to hand the police an open and shut case.

But all this comes down to; what's your time/sanity worth?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #19
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

Eho did the repairs.... sounds like a good avoid.....

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 06:57 PM   #20
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_x View Post
Hi Moocow,

Sorry to read all this. The headaches are definitely way bigger than the $600-700 excess.

I doubt the police will do much. Insurance claims are often looked at as a total waste of their time. No one got hurt.

You might be better off going to wherever Frankston Taxis keep their fleet and taking pics of anyone who fits the witness' description.

Ask around. Pretend the driver did you a favour and you want to reward him or something.

Anyhow. Once you have the pics, go back to the witness. If you get a positive ID, take that to the police along with a stat dec. from him/her.

Effectively, you've got to hand the police an open and shut case.

But all this comes down to; what's your time/sanity worth?
I like this idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:01 PM   #21
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
Great news!!!!!!!

I contacted the Police about it all again today, it was previously closed due to lack of evidence. They re-opened it, as I gave them witness details (for the second time). They rang me back a couple of hours later with the correct contact details of the Taxi driver that hit my car!

I rang him politely to get his rego and address details, and he gave them willingly. I had to bite my tongue - from wanting to abuse the shit out him! But I wanted to make sure I get the money first and foremost.

Contacted my insurance company, they are going to follow it up and said they should hopefully have that refunded or at least approved by next Monday.

Moral of the story - get a dash cam! My Blackvue DR650 arrives soon!

cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #22
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdaws View Post
Eho did the repairs.... sounds like a good avoid.....
it was all done via AAMI, they told me to just take it to their assessor/repair centre. The repairer has been really good about it all, I will at least give them that. Hopefully it is all sorted when i pick it up tomorrow.
Appreciate 0