BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
aja
Rep
Drives: 135i

advice on 135i E82 - low battery, key stuck, and odd sounds (possessed?)

Seeking advice from anyone who can offer some... I experienced the following this AM. The cause was definitely me accidentally leaving map lights on and draining the battery overnight.

This morning I get into my car to go to work. I insert key fob into ignition slot and the radio comes on. When I push the Start button moments later, nothing happens. All electrical goes out, and the key fob will now not eject from the slot, though there is play in it (it will push in and out, but it wont catch in like it should, and it wont release either), trunk work electronically release, etc. My husband is away on a road trip, so there is no jump start available. I get my car on the trickle charger, and hook it up under the hood (4 hours ago). During this time, some functionality has come back (when door shuts it electronically hooks closed, map light and glove box light work, but dim). I know a trickle charger is going to take MANY more hours to get the battery up enough to perform other functions.

Here is what I can't figure out:
1. is the keyfob release mechanism part of the electronic system, and perhaps the battery just doesn't have enough juice yet to release it yet?
2. Ever since the beginning of this, there has been an electric hum and clicking sound, as though the battery is trying to do something. Clicking/alternating sounds come from glove box, and loudest whirring sound heard from passenger side undercarriage, strongest towards the back. Could this be related to the positive battery cable connector?

Any insights welcome, please! I am hopeful this will not end in a tow to the stealership. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
aja
Rep
Drives: 135i

update... I check in on the car again, and it seems there is now enough juice to drive power to the tail lights, and they are doing a little erratic strobe light show. So weird. I tried to remove the key, and this time it works. Ahhhh. Car is quiet now. Maybe it's just like they say - when the battery is low, these cars just act random and crazy.
Appreciate 0